: Good Buy?

MarX
05-23-06, 01:07 AM
Hi, I have always loved the look of the 80's Cadillacs and have recently found one that looks to be in quite good condition for its age. It is a 1988 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance.

It has 92,000Km (Extremely low) it is a burgundy colour with matching vinyl and velour interior. It has the 307ci Olds engine. It also has a sunroof but when the vinyl was replaced there was no hole made for it.

It is selling for $1500 CAD.It has a few problems most prominent being a leaking rear main seal and the compressor for the self levelling system has failed.

What am I looking at to do these repairs and is the self levelling system even necessary?

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/32/40/f4_3.JPG

77CDV
05-23-06, 12:25 PM
To fix the rear seal should be no more than $400 USD. The auto levelling isn't necessary, and you can remove the system and replace with conventional shocks, shouldn't be more than $150 USD to go that route. Fixing the system to make it work will depend on how much needs fixing/replacing, could hit $500 USD. Now about that hidden sunroof, WTF were they thinking?!? Makes me wonder about what other half-brained "fixes" this car is hiding. The buy price sounds reasonable, but I'd have it gone over very well by a trusted mechanic before purchace. Good luck.

Craig

mharker
05-23-06, 12:51 PM
I'm with 77CDV.

Mileage is right, and if body and paint are good looks like a fair price. But the mickey mouse vinyl top job would make me think previous owner did other cheapo fixes.

Try to find out why they did that. If it's lame like "I just never used the sunroof" maybe they're simply clueless. But if it's a home-made job to save money or "shop wanted an extra $100 cuz it had a sunroof" then I'd be careful. What self-respecting shop would close it in like that?

MarX
05-23-06, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys, about the sunroof he says when he bought it from the dealer(trade-in) like that and the original owner did that. I'm thinking a possible reason may be that the seals may be shot and leaking for the sunroof.
Would there be better deals out there because the timeframe is quite limited on this one and I don't think I will be able to come up with the money in time

DopeStar 156
05-23-06, 02:10 PM
I hate that color. I wouldn't be caught dead driving a car in that color.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Fleetwood-BROUGHAM-88-FLEETWOO-BROUGHAM-DELEGANCE-5-0-V8-THE-BIG-ONE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6149QQitemZ46427284 19QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

eldorado99
05-24-06, 01:42 PM
:sneaky::)

I hate that color. I wouldn't be caught dead driving a car in that color.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Fleetwood-BROUGHAM-88-FLEETWOO-BROUGHAM-DELEGANCE-5-0-V8-THE-BIG-ONE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6149QQitemZ46427284 19QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

77CDV
05-24-06, 06:22 PM
If you have the slightest doubt, let it go. They're not all that rare.

FRANKO
05-24-06, 08:33 PM
LOVE that color! ALL sun-roofs leak! They are designed that way. Drain tubes take the water away to a safe location.
That roof can be saved by a good trim shop. They will just cut away the excess material and open up your roof area. The trim piece may still be under the "new" vinyl roof. If not, they will install new. Go For IT!

FRANKO

MarX
05-24-06, 08:33 PM
Yeah I'm thinking this one isn't meant to be due to the time constraints and the wierd things with it. How much should I look to pay for one in fairly good shape from the same time period?

85_fleetwood
05-25-06, 12:14 AM
I paid $2500 for my '85 FWB Coupe with 83K miles. It also had a nice alarm system and 2000 watt subwoofer.

Benzilla
05-25-06, 07:07 AM
$2500 for my '83 Coupe Deville that needed a few things done with 46,000 m.i.

$2500 for the '79 Phaeton with a couple things and... higher... miles.

$6500 for the '90 Brougham d'Elegance in pretty much mint condition, moonroof, CD player, 350. 120,000 m.i.

I've seen a lot of nice '80s broughams go for around $3500.

77CDV
05-25-06, 11:14 AM
Paid $3200 for my 77 CDV with just over 100K mi and a totally mint interior (not even any dash cracks!).

Destroyer
05-25-06, 05:34 PM
I paid $1300 for my '91 FWB with an engine that smoked. Inside and out the car was absolutely perfect otherwise. The guy had rebuilt the tranny, gave the car a real nice paint job, new top, replaced alternator, blower motor, and radiator all within a year of when I bought it. Elderly man always kept it in the garage too. When the engine started to smoke and he was quoted almost $3k to fix it, he let it go. Worked for me since I had a freshly rebuilt 87 Iroc 350 in the garage for two years before I bought this car.:thumbsup: Today with the wheels/tires, all new A/C plus the new motor and mods I have about $4k into it. This worked out to be the best used car I ever bought for the money, took a little work on my end too though.

MarX
05-27-06, 05:10 PM
I paid $1300 for my '91 FWB with an engine that smoked. Inside and out the car was absolutely perfect otherwise. The guy had rebuilt the tranny, gave the car a real nice paint job, new top, replaced alternator, blower motor, and radiator all within a year of when I bought it. Elderly man always kept it in the garage too. When the engine started to smoke and he was quoted almost $3k to fix it, he let it go. Worked for me since I had a freshly rebuilt 87 Iroc 350 in the garage for two years before I bought this car.:thumbsup: Today with the wheels/tires, all new A/C plus the new motor and mods I have about $4k into it. This worked out to be the best used car I ever bought for the money, took a little work on my end too though.
How hard was the 350 to swap in? Reason I ask is I found an 87 Brougham for $500 but it has 425,000kms on it (264,000mi) and I doubt the 307 has much life left in it.
I would be swapping in a 350 with a T350 or T400 trans as they're the easiest to find for fairly cheap.
Also it being an 87 means I don't have to comply with emissions anymore :thumbsup:

Destroyer
05-27-06, 08:13 PM
How hard was the 350 to swap in? Reason I ask is I found an 87 Brougham for $500 but it has 425,000kms on it (264,000mi) and I doubt the 307 has much life left in it.
I would be swapping in a 350 with a T350 or T400 trans as they're the easiest to find for fairly cheap.
Also it being an 87 means I don't have to comply with emissions anymore :thumbsup:Totally different ballgame as my '91 came with a 305 Chevy instead of the 307 Olds. Mine was as simple as just changing the original motor with an another original motor. You would need several more parts but its still not hard to do. I've done swaps like what you are talking before, the most recent being an '84 Cutlass V6 to a Chevy 350. Off the bat, you would need motor mounts from a Caprice, 3rd gen fbody or a Chevy equipped Fleetwood. Actually I'm sure there are many other cars you could use the mounts from too. You will also need the frame mounts. You will need to change the radiator, again you can use one from the above mentioned cars. None of your accessories would work so you would need to get all the pulleys and accessories from a small block Chevy. I would recommend getting them from a car with a serpentine belt system.

You may be able to keep the transmission in your car. I believe some models had the dual bolt patterns. The transmission crossmember should work with a TH350 as well. Make sure the tailshaft lengths are the same so you can use your stock driveshaft.

All the parts you need are readily accessible from junkyards for pretty cheap. You could opt to put a bigger Olds motor in your car like a 350 or 403. Either of those motors would be a simple drop in. I thought about doing that when I had an 87 Fleetwood but I prefer the Chevy motor cause there is just so much available for it.

MarX
05-29-06, 12:00 AM
Well I recently remembered that there is a '70 cutlass in a yard near me with a 350 Rocket that is supposedly working so that will be my first choice. Would that be a good engine to put in? Also what should I expect with that engine for fuel economy? I'm not sure if it will run properly though because in 70 I think it would have used leaded fuel and thats not available anymore soo..yeah.
On a high note this board is MUCH more helpful than one Lincoln board I posted on :P Thanks for your advice guys and I hope I can pick up a Caddy soon.

77CDV
05-29-06, 12:26 PM
You're right about the fuel, though you can fix that if you change the rings and valve seats to ones designed for unleaded. However, that carbed 350 won't get you more than 15/19 mpg in a Brougham. Good luck.

Craig