: Extra light in the headlight cluster

JTS/STS
05-22-06, 09:47 PM
I am certainly not the first to wonder: What is the extra small round light on the inner lower corner of the headlight cluster? It seems to be on whenever the headlight is on. Is it to comply with European code? I know that the 2005/2006 Corvettes sold in Europe have an extra small light in their clusters.

Jim

ascariSTS
05-22-06, 11:28 PM
they are the parking lamps...

try switching only the parking lamps... it's the only thing on...

btw, my STS is Euro... dunno if American is different.. :)

Cajonkev
05-23-06, 01:22 PM
NA version is the same for the lamp cluster although GM didn't seem to mind keeping the two editions separate in other ways (folding mirrors, rear headrest, rear fog etc.).

I don't recall anything being listed but I also always assumed these are just "style" lamps used for parking lights. True parking lights are almost a thing of the past in many ways as most US states no longer allow driving with parking lights during the first 30 min. after sunset and with autolamps on more and more vehicles.

In this case, since GM used the turn lamps which "traditionally" have been used for parking as their Daytime Running Lights (and they only light when in gear), adding these in for style seems kinda nice and keeps them single purpose.

I know for remote starting at night I prefer these pin lights much better than if the full turn lamps were lit.

But then again this is all speculation so what do I know...:alchi:

JTS/STS
05-23-06, 06:49 PM
Thanks Guys!
The C5 and C6 Corvettes daytime running lights dim and become the parking lights. However, the C6 Euro Corvettes use separate small lights in the headlight cluster for their parking lights as, I now know, the STS does. Must be some European regulation that forces the parking lights to be done this way. Thanks for the info.

Jim