: MRC Options 05 vs. 06

Cajonkev
05-22-06, 02:47 PM
After swapping out our 05 1SG for an 06 with the same package I was very pleased to see that GM had made a few cabin adjustments.

One of the most notable is that they moved the MRC option control from being "buried" in the personal settings up to the top page of the "Config" screen. In so doing it can now be easily toggled between modes at any vehicle speed.

It is obvious by the screen lay-out that this was "shoehorned" in as a simple fix and is not part of a whole new lay-out.

My question for Ewill or anyone else in the know; is this update currently available as part of any released "update" disks or is it only available on OEM or depot head end units that are pre-flashed?

I went through four head end units on my 05 and received both depot refurbs as well as new factory units as part of the process. All/each had the original programming (including the Feb. 05 update) but did not have the current layout that is on my 06.

I ask as it would be very nice for this to be made part of a general release for the 05 community so they too can have access to the updates. I know GM won't do a special release on this; but hope they have incorporated it into the re-program disk and owners can then request it through their servicing dealer.

I still wish they would set up the MRC to sync with the shift gate on the trans. plus offer the override but this was at least a good step in the right direction!

ascariSTS
05-23-06, 12:34 AM
it's not for all 2006 STS'... mine doesn't have MRC option on the main (config) screen...

It should be a recent update... but how come no one knows about it??...

btw, override is alredy available..

Cajonkev
05-23-06, 02:20 AM

Hey ascari, good to hear from you again. I think you misunderstood me.

I was refering to allowing the MRC to be controlled by the shift gate PLUS leaving the on-screen toggle active as it already is...

But thanks for the update that yours doesn't have the home page option. I would wonder if it is because you have the Euro model but who knows for sure.

ascariSTS
05-23-06, 06:20 AM
oh ok... I got it now... :)

I don't think having the Euro model makes a difference...

Do you remember that VR update?... They said some commands will be removed and reception will be better... This one is included in my 2006 as well as domestic 2006's...

I think it's a recent update... I'll remember to ask my dealer about it... :)

Anybody here bought STS from the first 2006 shipment?..

Cajonkev
05-23-06, 02:11 PM
My first impression is that Euro wouldn't make a difference either. That said, there are ECM and other differences so I just didn't completely exclude it without having any facts. Vehicle build date would more likely be the place to look I agree.

As for the VR. There has been TONS of speculation but I haven't read a single document or statement from anyone at GM saying they are in fact doing anything to/for the VR. I have both the Ver. 1 and Ver. 2 Nav discs (where the VR commands reside) and they both list the same command lists in both the manuals and in the system help screens.

That doesn't mean they aren't/haven't done something. I have definitely had an improvement in my VR versus my old car and it is obvious there has been some programming updates/changes to the system based on the screen changes. I have noticed several minor "adjustments" they have made including some changes to the HUD that are all "User" type of updates. So I would think they must be doing something but what/when I just do not know.

I guess that circles back to why I was asking about the MRC change. Since they obviously have made some updates, then when did they go in, how and what all was updated/added/changed (including VR)? And most importantly, is it/will it be available to current owners so that everyone can take advantage.

I would just hate for them to roll out some good changes without grandfathering in the rest of the community ala OnStar Gen 6. Granted that was/is a hardware replacement and not just software/firmware.

My hope is that minimally these will all be incorporated into a service disc that the dealers can order and re-program the system with. Otherwise folks have to figure out/guess when the depots have the new build/release and then need a "necessary" warranty repair to either get their head unit flashed or R&R'd.

Regardless, I just want anyone/everyone that wants the changes, to get them...

ascariSTS
05-25-06, 06:32 AM
Regarding VR, I've not been through all commands but I found one command that is available in 05 and dropped in 06... The "System off" command... or the "AC off" ....

I also heard something about reception but I don't know... haven't tried 05 VR... but you notice some differences ... good :D

I don't think these updates will not be available for us... They don't redevelope the system they just make the changes, create the software, and apply it to all stock cars... We have to be informed of new updates... I don't suggest OnStar.. we live out of US we don't have OnStar :(...

If they have a support section on their website posting new updates, that would be enough...

although I believe they have to do it theirselves on regular car check... but they just don't do it unless you tell them...

Anyways, thanks for the information about that update... Sometimes you need to change the MRC setting while driving... :D

Cajonkev
05-25-06, 01:25 PM
I don't think these updates will not be available for us... They don't redevelope the system they just make the changes, create the software, and apply it to all stock cars... We have to be informed of new updates...

If they have a support section on their website posting new updates, that would be enough...

Well unfortunately they really don't have to and in fact have a long history of not offering such updates.

The auto industry is geared towards implementing updates towards new manufacturing not "sold" units; the exception of course is safety recalls.

All other updates are handled either through depot replacements or TSB/Advisories.

Previous history with audio/nav units specifically at GM has shown that they work on a "moving forward" basis and not on a "roll-back" one.

Here is an example from someone over in the Corvette community:

"In regards to the In-Dash Nav units in GM vehicles:

I work for one of 9 companies that are licensed to repair these products OEM.

As far as the Key pad codes go: They keep updating the firmware, so you're going to have a very hard time finding something that works for everyone.

Here's why:
Mike has Radio A, Paul has Radio B, Sue has Radio C.

Mike's radio Breaks, I take one off our shelf that's at firmware version 1.1 and send it to him, he returns the defective core, which is re-manufactured OEM and flashed with the newest updates to bring the REV level to current.

Paul's radio breaks 3 months later, assume firmware 1.0.
I send him another with firmware 1.2 because of improvements and REVs.

Sue's radio breaks 3 months after Paul's.
I send her Firmware 1.3 because of improvements, REVs.

Mike had 1.0 but now has 1.1.
Paul had 1.0 but has 1.2.
Sue had 1.0 but now has 1.3.

See the problem?
No, don't ask for codes."

Edited to reduce post size, not content...

And since this is the auto industry and not the computer industry there is no "support" website for updates nor will there be. Money only trades hands if you take it in for service. that includes warranty issues as the servicing dealer gets credits, charge-backs and fees from GM for the work.

Soooooo, unless they do incorporate all this into a dealer ordered update disc (ala the Feb. 05 update) then the only way for existing owners to get the updates is through a head unit exchange if theirs "breaks"...

So the story goes...:alchi:

Cajonkev
05-25-06, 01:36 PM
Regarding VR, I've not been through all commands but I found one command that is available in 05 and dropped in 06... The "System off" command... or the "AC off" ....

Anyways, thanks for the information about that update... Sometimes you need to change the MRC setting while driving... :D

You are correct on the "system off" command which certainly was a hassle for me before. I stand corrected...:bouncy:

I had occasion to change the MRC mode yesterday while driving and yes, sometimes you do...:thumbsup:

Devil_concours
05-29-06, 12:27 PM
it's not for all 2006 STS'... mine doesn't have MRC option on the main (config) screen...

It should be a recent update... but how come no one knows about it??...

what is this override you speak of?
:suspense: :)

ascariSTS
05-30-06, 02:12 AM
what is this override you speak of?
:suspense: :)

I meant overdrive :D

Well unfortunately they really don't have to and in fact have a long history of not offering such updates.

The auto industry is geared towards implementing updates towards new manufacturing not "sold" units; the exception of course is safety recalls.

All other updates are handled either through depot replacements or TSB/Advisories.

Previous history with audio/nav units specifically at GM has shown that they work on a "moving forward" basis and not on a "roll-back" one.

Here is an example from someone over in the Corvette community:

"In regards to the In-Dash Nav units in GM vehicles:

I work for one of 9 companies that are licensed to repair these products OEM.

As far as the Key pad codes go: They keep updating the firmware, so you're going to have a very hard time finding something that works for everyone.

Here's why:
Mike has Radio A, Paul has Radio B, Sue has Radio C.

Mike's radio Breaks, I take one off our shelf that's at firmware version 1.1 and send it to him, he returns the defective core, which is re-manufactured OEM and flashed with the newest updates to bring the REV level to current.

Paul's radio breaks 3 months later, assume firmware 1.0.
I send him another with firmware 1.2 because of improvements and REVs.

Sue's radio breaks 3 months after Paul's.
I send her Firmware 1.3 because of improvements, REVs.

Mike had 1.0 but now has 1.1.
Paul had 1.0 but has 1.2.
Sue had 1.0 but now has 1.3.

See the problem?
No, don't ask for codes."

Edited to reduce post size, not content...

And since this is the auto industry and not the computer industry there is no "support" website for updates nor will there be. Money only trades hands if you take it in for service. that includes warranty issues as the servicing dealer gets credits, charge-backs and fees from GM for the work.

Soooooo, unless they do incorporate all this into a dealer ordered update disc (ala the Feb. 05 update) then the only way for existing owners to get the updates is through a head unit exchange if theirs "breaks"...

So the story goes...:alchi:

That's really sad :(... can't I go and ask for any update??..

although I doubt they're gonna do it... they will keep it as it is and tell me it is updated...

unless you know someone there...

is this the service we get for a 55K $ car...? :(

Cajonkev
05-30-06, 01:46 PM
You can always ask (and should) when you take it in for regular service if there are any Advisories, TSB's or updates available. I usually stand right next to the adviser to see what pops up when he punches in the VIN. Chances are if there is one available you can get them to do it. As long as they can charge either GM under the warranty or you directly they are going to take your business.

This will not however catch any revisions that are implemented by the OEM or during depot maintenance. Only a complete R&R of the head unit would take care of that. That is why I was bringing it up in the first place to see if we could figure out how GM had rolled out this change and to see if it was readily available to the masses.

AllWheelEric
07-15-06, 11:54 PM
I just had the NAV / stereo head unit replaced in my '05 STS. The new unit has the updates you desribe from the '06 unit. The MRC and driver memory buttons are available on the first page after hitting the "Config" hard button. Also the clock has no AM/PM indicator so the numbers can be bigger. All are welcome changes.

Why was it replaced? The touch screen became unresponsive, so they tried to update the firmware for this known issue. Midway though the second CD of the 2-CD upgrade, the unit crashed hard. They couldn't even get their disc (or my discs) out. I had to drive with no tunes and no NAV for two weeks while they waited for the new head unit.