: H-pipe

ShadowLvr400
05-22-06, 07:19 AM
Yea, I got one welded in on my 96 Fleetwood the other day. I have Ravin high flow mufflers, which really showed the staccato hits of the old LT1 under my hood. So, I had one grafted in specifically to cut that sound down, and smooth things out. Lemme say, it works pretty damn well. Just a little section of pipe put in behind the cats, under the driveshaft. The sounds much smoother, without that clatter of an aging pushrod V8. Not bad for $120.

N0DIH
05-22-06, 09:00 AM
I did an H-pipe in my 80 T/A with a 455 and it really helped cut the noise down and did help power some (hard to tell with 360 stock HP and 500 lb/ft torque!).

I am in need of replacing my mufflers in my Cad this year, mine are rusting. I want quiet, really don't want a loud car, but would love to get better flow. So a Dr. Gas/X-pipe for sure will be in order, as well as mufflers. Anyone have any recommendations on mufflers that are fairly quiet and worthy to be on a Fleetwood?

ShadowLvr400
05-22-06, 12:40 PM
The ones I like are Ravin mufflers, through Midas. However, they're no longer made. You MIGHT be able to get a set still lying in some warehouse, but I wouldn't bet on it.

BCs71
05-22-06, 03:33 PM
If you are just replacing the mufflers and leaving stock stainless pipes on, then I would suggest the mufflers I put on my Caddy. If you leave the resonators on and add an H-ipe like I did then it is just barely louder than stock. I used a pair of Thrush turbo mufflers ($30 each) which will hold up fine on non-salty roads/winter conditions. They may be a little too cheap and thin for rust belt areas.....
But they are cheap enough so they could be worth a shot. :)

http://www.badbodies.com/exhaust

My exhaust soundclip is on there. Very quiet, even under load at WOT.
The engine makes just as much noise as the exhaust does.

Here is a video on the dyno:15.6 MB
http://www.badbodies.com/videos_misc/bcs71dynocompilation.mpg

N0DIH
05-23-06, 01:56 AM
Do they still have the Thrush Truck Turbo's? They were long and quiet, and had excellent low backpressure, nearly as good hp/tq ratings as open pipes (like only 3hp less).

I think there used to be a good Hemi Turbo too. Yeah, I know, I remember all the OLD mags I have (still) that had tests like that. Back when Hot Rod and Car Craft were really good magazines.