: Vacuum Leak for Parking Brake Quick Fix?

DopeStar 156
05-22-06, 12:12 AM
If I were to just either clamp the vac line or disconnect it and plug it as a temporary fix until I can get a replacement diaphram, would that really damage something if I did that? That vac leak is really ****ing with my idle speeds and I want it to stop. Thanks.

davesdeville
05-22-06, 05:00 AM
I've used a screw that will fit in the line, but has a wide enough head that it could never fit through the line to plug it. Plugging it will be fine, provided the engine doesn't eat the plug.

eldorado99
05-23-06, 01:09 AM
Golf tee's work well also. :)

davesdeville
05-23-06, 02:39 AM
Hmm a golf tee is an even better idea. Wood, so even if it somehow gets eaten it wouldn't cause as much damage (if it caused any at all.)

77CDV
05-23-06, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a good stopgap to me.

DopeStar 156
05-23-06, 02:13 PM
I'm actually getting a replacement diaphram for it today so I'll swap that out tomorrow. Has anyone ever done this swap before. Is it as easy as it looks?

KaddyKat
05-24-06, 10:55 AM
where did you order this part from? Thanks

DopeStar 156
05-24-06, 12:12 PM
where did you order this part from? Thanks
I ordered mine from a Cadillac dealer for like $30. It's a GM part, it came in a blue box that says "Genuine GM" on it. I put it in just now and sure as hell that was the problem. The idle was much smoother and the parking brake popped up as it should. It took me a good 10 minutes to install but I had to worm my way under the dashboard and the only thing I was able to move was my wrist and fingers on one hand. My head was also wedged between the dashboard and the brake pedal. I suggest using a tiny ratchet for this job but at some point you're gonna have to just use only the head for the ratchet to start the screw. The shop manual suggests you remove the pedal which would be easier on the joints, but my body type allowed me to get under there so I didn't have to. I examined the old diaphragm and blew in it and it barely moved and I heard a leak. I did that to the new one and it moved perfectly with no hissing what so ever. I looked and saw the hole in the old piece and it was like a 16 gauge hole. Amazing how all these stupid stalling and idle problems were solved in 10 minutes with a $30 piece.....

brougham
05-24-06, 05:03 PM
So you did it without taking the whole pedal out like the book says? I bought the pull off thingy a few years about but I never bothered doing anything with it. Maybe I should find it again.

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 01:19 AM
If you have a leak, I suggest going for it. My car's acceleration has vastly improved. I can how hold my speed up hill and my cruise control doesn't budge where I put it.

caddydaddy69
07-04-08, 11:12 PM
could you please give the gm part number for the vacuum release diaphragm i need one BAD! thnx

caddeville89
07-05-08, 07:45 AM
Wow, my car has had this leak for awhile, and I never thought it could cause driveability problems. Think I'll get that part and see what happens.:thumbsup: