: XM Disappeared Temporarily!

Vendetta-V-
05-21-06, 04:47 PM
Searched to no avail.

I started the car today and the only radio options available was FM1, FM2, AM1, AM2. The XM1 and XM2 wouldn't cycle through. It was fine last night.

The problem persisted for a couple of start-ups, then out of nowhere, the XMs were available again.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-21-06, 07:08 PM
Yes - several of us have - and it's worse in the warmer weather than in the cold. There is a TSB on it - check the FAQ - it's to do with the antenna and the system not booting up properly.

Vendetta-V-
05-21-06, 07:25 PM
Thanks for noting the TSB...I didn't think of searching the TSBs themselves...in fact, I didn't even know it was searchable until now. I thought it was just a compiled list by TSB number and date.

For those of you who may have the same problem and in the future search the forums...my thread heading should come up on your search. In that case, below is all the information you'll need.

Thanks Ziplicon! :)

Subject: Loss of XM Satellite Radio (Replace Digital Radio Receiver) #06-08-
44-011A - (03/24/2006)
Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V
with Navigational Radio (RPO UAV) and XM Satellite Radio (RPO
U2K)
This bulletin is being revised to provide additional corrective action information. Please discard
Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-011 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the XM band is not present at times at vehicle start-up. When this
occurs, only selections AM, FM1 and FM2 are available.
Cause
The XM receiver is removed as a band selection on the radio due to a loss of communication from the
XM Digital Radio Receiver (DRR). The communication is lost due to a "busy" state being reported from
the XM DRR, even though no transmission is currently taking place. The software in the XM DRR does
not currently prevent this condition from occurring. A combination of heavy class 2 bus traffic and
queuing of low priority XM Traffic Data messages can increase the likelihood that this condition will
occur.
Service Information
Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO OR SATELLITE ANTENNA.
If the Digital Radio Receiver (DRR) currently installed in the vehicle is P/N 15847358, continue with
diagnosing the issue using the XM radio information found in Service Information (SI). A replacement
DRR may not be needed.
If the DRR is other than P/N 15847358, the DRR will require replacement. Contact GM Technical
Assistance. The XM prompt is combined with the OnStar® prompt. The Technical Assistance
consultant will verify your diagnosis and, if appropriate, order a replacement part.
Parts Information
Part Number Description
15847358 Digital Radio Receiver
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
R5600 Receiver, Digital Satellite Radio -- Replace Use Published Labor Operation Time
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They
are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to
provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained
technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly
and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle,
or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether
your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT
VOLUNTARY
TECHNICIAN
CERTIFICATION
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Vendetta-V-
05-21-06, 07:28 PM
Yes - several of us have - and it's worse in the warmer weather than in the cold. There is a TSB on it - check the FAQ - it's to do with the antenna and the system not booting up properly.

The TSB says that if the PN is correct, to only keep diagnosing using the Service Information.

Bottom line question is: If you have the good DRR, will one possibly continue to have the problem, or can it be fixed by a GM tech?

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-21-06, 07:30 PM
Vendetta V - go to the FAQ and then to TSB's at the top - input @ search "XM" and select TSB #06-08-44-011a - it's the updated version of the original bulletin and it's a warranty cover problem.

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-21-06, 07:30 PM
Oh - I see you found it....

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-21-06, 07:36 PM
The TSB says that if the PN is correct, to only keep diagnosing using the Service Information.

Bottom line question is: If you have the good DRR, will one possibly continue to have the problem, or can it be fixed by a GM tech?

Glad to help...:highfive:
Unfortunately I don't know about the tech as I haven't taken mine in yet. I'm concerned based on my experiences to date they'll F something up worse. The loss of XM has corrected itself every time after about 10 minutes with the car off. It's almost like re-booting I guess. Problem is, you don't know when it will happen so at least for the current ride you're XMless unless you stop for a while....

ctsvett
05-21-06, 09:07 PM
TSB search is NEW as of last wednesday!

Reed

Vendetta-V-
05-21-06, 09:11 PM
TSB search is NEW as of last wednesday!

Reed

Wow...I don't feel so bad now.:woohoo:

nikon
05-21-06, 11:49 PM
eh, I wish that TSB applied to me, mine cuts out while the radio is on....but only with ipod kit playing....Im at a total loss...with any luck the new ipod interface will solve my problem.

anim8orCTSV
05-22-06, 01:35 AM
The other day I was driving around and the XM cut out as I was listening to it.

I tried to stop and start my V a couple times but it never came back. The following day I hopped in and it came back.

As a side note, does XM lower the quality of the music being broadcast? I find that the Sirius on my Dish system at home sounds a lot better.

It seems the XM doesn't even come close to CD. Is that the way it is?

-Anim8orCTSV

ctsvett
05-22-06, 02:51 AM
sound quality is TERRIBLE on XM. thats because it is being compressed when it is broadcast (hence the local stations going to High Definition radio- something satellite cant compete with right now or until they lauch some more satellites and make new hardware!)

Anyway, the XM going out will happen. Even if you dont "qualify" for the TSB, cant hurt to ask them to look at it.

Also, in order to make it come back, you need to park the car and let the RAP go off (about 20 mins)... then the band will re-appear...

Reed

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-22-06, 12:57 PM
Yeah and the other day they played a freakin commercial for Staples or some sh1t. I thought there'd be none of that. Also, I wish they wouldn't play SO many songs I have never heard before - never thought I'd say that but man, they play too much crap IMO. But then I turn on FM for 1 minute and quickly recall how much talking, ads, contests and B.S. they have.