: Thinking of getting another '79 to restore and sell.

Benzilla
05-20-06, 11:11 PM
Try to stay with me, this is interesting but long...

Back in February I was driving home one afternoon and going by a local trailer park(bad part of town, not mine hehe) and out front was a light yellow '79 Coupe Deville with a saddle interior! I took a very quick left turn and pulled in to look at it. it was ruff, but I could see that it still had some life in it, by this time I'm going crazy, because its parked right by the road, but with no for sale sign on it! So I go home, but every day I go past, its still there untill finaly about a month later it disappears, a week later its back - this is before I bought the Phaeton, so I really want any '79 I can get - I think for a while about how I could ever get it, and by the time I get back, its gone again! So a few weeks later I start to wonder what ever happened to the old beast, so I go to the trailor park and start asking people if they know where it went. I finaly got an answer, but the woman gave me a fake sell phone number to get m out of there, so I was screwed.

Two weeks later I get the Phaeton and forget about the poor homeless old caddy, why not? I got what I wanted in the first place.

Today I was at a carshow with my friend Claude who owns a black on red '79 Coupe, and he told me about a certian yellow Coupe Deville he saw in a near by town with a $500 price on it... we talk, and it turns out its the same car that I had chased all around Morristown trying to buy, and now its there for $500!! He said if I want it he'll let me go for it, if not he mightgo for it himself.

So I talked to my Dad about it, and the only way he would even agree to go look at it is if I just bought it to fix it up and sell it for a proffit. So I'm thinking I really want to do that, I would finaly have that car, and it would definatly go to a good home if its in good shape when I'm done with it, where as now, the only people that would but it would be broke white trash or mexacans with japan made wire wheels and blackwalls... not a nice thing to thing about.

So you think I should go for it?

BTW the whole "sell it" thing is a front, I'll probably keep the caddy and sell my '84 Cutlass, but he wont agree to that right now, so he things I'll sell the caddy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-06, 01:32 AM
I looked at a 53k mile 1978 Coupe deVille on the 18th. It was awesome. I want one sooooo bad now. I love those crazy long doors!!

Benzilla
05-21-06, 01:51 AM
Then you should get one.

anything else?

Destroyer
05-21-06, 09:48 AM
Try to stay with me, this is interesting but long...

BTW the whole "sell it" thing is a front, I'll probably keep the caddy and sell my '84 Cutlass, but he wont agree to that right now, so he things I'll sell the caddy.Smart man. I dont believe fixing it and selling it will reap much (if any) profits. But to use it as a means of getting it is brilliant. Good luck.

Night Wolf
05-21-06, 11:28 AM
It is completly and totally a bad move to buy one of these in rough shape, to let alone sell for a profit....

First, if buying one for yourself, you can buy a rough one for $500-$1,000... by the time you, say get a quality paint job and a new vinyl top, that would be about $2,500, so you are already at $3,000-$3,500... and there is still interior, chrome, drivetrain (really no problem there tho) etc...

Or you can just go out and find an old person owned, mint car for about $3,500 right out of the door... more to spend initally, but I am telling you, it'll add up the other way around.

Second, these cars aren't worth much at all... you would never, ever make the money back that you would put into it. Am I saying to just junk the car? No, but a project car like that is best suited for 1 thing... modding. Weather it is modding for hot rod, or pimp my ride type of thing... but something where you would be changing alot of factory stuff anyway.... trying to "restore" just about any Cadillac after ~1972 is not cost effective at all... while F-bodys and Mustangs value have shot thru the roof, it makes buying a rough car and fixing up cost effective, the same can't be said for Caddy's.

I was lucky enough to land a steal of a lifetime... before a Camry decided to run a red light :bigroll: My '79 had a neraly mint interior, vinyl top in very useable condition, no body damage, paint in very good shape (moreso after I got done with it), very good chrome, rust on only 1 door (which I got repainted later on) and even though I bought it with a "blown engine" a drivetrain that was solid... all for $300. I really lucked out on that one. So unless you happened to fall on a deal like that, then I would say its all up to you.

Plus, you can use it to your advantage... say you'll buy it to fix and sell, take your time fixing it up, then never sell it ;).

Biggest thing is body damage/rust... I hate rust, its the one thing I can't deal with. Body damage, depending on location and how much, it can be easy ot hard to deal with (replace a fender vs. dealing with quarter panel) Paint is another big one... paint jobs are so darn expensive for a good one, and it seems like every car needs one... then the vinyl top, maybe $400-$500, not TOO bad, but still, it adds.... then you gotta deal with the interior, dash pads will always be cracked and these 70's pastel colored dash pads are hard to find, let alone in good shape, so you'll just have to live with it. Hope it has velour seats, not only are they better (IMO) but they hardly age... if leather, prepare for the driver seat to be very ripped, a couple tears on the passenger seat and the back seat to be mint... all that would need to be fixed too, and its gotta be done by a custom shop = $$$... oh, and arm rests will be cracked or torn as well... more money. Chrome may be liveable, or may need to be replaced... $$$ right there... 425, is solid, TH400 is solid, GM 10 bolt rear is solid. But you can easily see how the $500 project car will really be a cash hole and flat out spending $3,500 or so for a realitivly clean one would be really worth it.

At the local junkyard, but in the waiting area was a complete '79 Fleetwood Brougham, triple white... no major body damage, rear bumper damage... paint kinda fadded, vinyl roof cracked and some rust under the vinyl top on the rear quater panel (don't like that at all) inside the white leather (nice) front seats were ripped, all 4 arm rests cracked and no headliner at all... didn't really get to look at it any more then that.. I'd think $300-$500, they said they only sell cars with a title, and they don't know if they have a title or not (at the time) I thought aobut getting it but few things 1) its in ALOT worse shape then my '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance was in 2) not cost effective, tho it would be a project more then anything, so its not THAT big of a deal but 3).... the biggest thing, I am getting my mothers '89 Brougham this Summer... for free... that car is kinda rough, but when compared to a car like that, its in much, much better shape... I just don't have the room for another car... yeah I'd much rather have the 425/TH400 then the 307/200R4... its an awesome combo, but gotta be a little practical here....

Just telling how it is... ask me how I know...

If you do come across a deal with a promising car, the rewards can be great.

My '79 the day after I got it.... $300:

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0589.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0587.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0590.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0593.JPG

After I got done with alot of work (left rear door repainted), also re-pinstriped with darker red (tape) over existing paited pin stripe... looks alot better.

The biggest things to note... the paint... I spent alot of time with Turtle Wax rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax to bring it back... surprisingly, it came back very well. The wheels, were freebies as they were laying around from my mothers Brougham, the tires, $100 for all 4, practially new from the junkyard... nice white walls.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0194.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0187.JPG

I did more to the engine too, when I installed the modified 472 intake manifold, I painted that royale blue, as well as the valve covers (both done after this picture)... she was looking really nice by the time I was done

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/door/PDR_0177.JPG

Then, finally here in FL after I added the 2nd pin stripe... these cars REALLY need the lower 2nd pin stripe... gosh it just looks so much better, the darker contrast (between the lighter/thinner factory pinstripe) and following the lower body line... so nice.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/79-2.JPG

Bought it for $300, in the almost 2 years I owned it, put MAYBE $700-$1,000 into it.... not much at all.... and I would still be driving it.... for me, it was a good deal.

Bro-Ham
05-21-06, 12:45 PM
Hi Ben,

You're getting quite a collection - - the disease is progressing! Good for you!

After reading your post and then some of the responses it's fun to see that hardly anyone will think buying another Cad is a bad idea.

I'm completely crazy when it comes to cars so don't look to me to talk you out of it. I can only say that you have to follow your heart and you need to decide, as Rick said above, if you want to polish a terd or just buy a car that is and always has been nice so you can just drive and enjoy. I realize that some people like the project cars since they give you something to do and keep you out of the local tavern since you will be investing all your time and money into the black hole called your car.

I've owned 6 Cads including the two I have now. I take cars and driving seriously so when I get a car I want to make sure they are as completely reliable as possible since I want to be able to drive them either across town or cross country without leaving me on the side of the road.

Below is the mileage and what I paid for them, what I did to them and an estimate of how much money I spent fixing and maintaining them, and what I sold them for. I am a car dealer and for years had my own repair shop so the $ amounts are what it cost me wholesale for parts and labor:

78 Fleetwood Limo - 30k miles - mint - Paid $8,000 in February, 2000. Did new tires, radiator, brake master cyl, serviced, etc., totalling about $1,500. Sold $6,800 in March, 2001. Lost about $2,700.

78 Sedan deVille d'Elegance - 109k miles - sort of a dog - Paid $750 in October, 2000. Put on new tires, rear axle seals, repainted, etc., etc., put at least $2,500 into it. Sold for $2,000 in January, 2004. Lost about $1,250.

76 Fleetwood Brougham - 8k miles - out of the box! Paid $8,800 in February, 2002. Did minor cosmetic detailing, new tires, put about $1,000 into it. Sold $12,000 in December, 2002. Made $2,200.

90 Brougham d'Elegance - 67k miles - decent - paid $6,500 in May, 2003. Repainted a couple body panels, new tires, fixed problematic digital dash, put about $1,000 into it. Sold $6,000 in July, 2003. Lost $1,500. This was an eBay car that looked good in the pictures, had a seller who was proud of it, and it turned out to be not nearly as nice as described simply because the owner didn't know what he had and I didn't look before writing the check. I fixed it up quick and sent it off. Took my lumps.

81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe - 229k miles - decent - paid $500 in January, 2004, still own it. It's a nice enough car that I started pouring in the $$$. It has the following new items: windshield, opera lamp, trunk springs, exhaust manifold, tires, self dimming mirror with compass, rear axle seals, exhaust, shocks, springs, self level struts, radiator, heater core, valve cover gaskets, tune up, battery, computer, O2 sensor, etc., etc., etc. Plus had parts of the car repainted and put on a new body side molding and accent stripes. For fun, I just added up all the receipts and I think I am going to take up drinking since here is the total: $6,175!!! I had sold my repair shop by this time so the labor has killed me on these old cars even at $65/hour. OK, so add that huge amount to the $500 acquisition price and we have $6,675! So, I figure now the car is worth_______? Hahaha! :-)

79 Sedan deVille d'Elegance - 61k miles - super clean - paid $4,500 in October, 2005, still own it. So far, here is the list of new stuff: sway bar links, shocks, rear springs, self dimming mirror with compass/temp, power antenna, headlights, exhaust including cat, tune-up/fluids/filters, radiator, tires. Also, bought a set of chrome wire wheels for $725. Including the wheels, parts, labor (at $65/hr), the total is about $4,900 Add that to the $4,500 acquisition price and I have $9,400 in this car at this moment.

I'm not letting you know all of this to impress you, but rather to let you know that for me spending time and money on cars is a lifestyle choice. My only advice to you is to follow your heart and engage your brain.

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

Bro-Ham
05-21-06, 12:59 PM
Here are pics of the current boats:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-06, 01:08 PM
81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe - 229k miles - decent - paid $500 in January, 2004, still own it. It's a nice enough car that I started pouring in the $$$. It has the following new items: windshield, opera lamp, trunk springs, exhaust manifold, tires, self dimming mirror with compass, rear axle seals, exhaust, shocks, springs, self level struts, radiator, heater core, valve cover gaskets, tune up, battery, computer, O2 sensor, etc., etc., etc. Plus had parts of the car repainted and put on a new body side molding and accent stripes. For fun, I just added up all the receipts and I think I am going to take up drinking since here is the total: $6,175!!! I had sold my repair shop by this time so the labor has killed me on these old cars even at $65/hour. OK, so add that huge amount to the $500 acquisition price and we have $6,675! So, I figure now the car is worth_______? Hahaha! :-)

The way I see it, a car, especially a Cadillac, and especially one like the '81 has a lot of emotional value. I don't mean that in a bad way either. That '81 is more than just a car, a Honda Accord is "just a car" to get you from point A to point B with as little fuss and as efficently as possible. An '81 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe is far more. It's got personality, style, class, charisma, and that's how I justify spending more on a Cadillac then it's worth.

Bro-Ham
05-21-06, 01:08 PM
Three of the previous cars: 90 Brougham d'Elegance, 78 Fleetwood limo (the day I sold it as it was being hauled off to the new owner), and the 76 Fleetwood Brougham with 8k miles.

77CDV
05-21-06, 02:37 PM
Ben,

Maybe you should change your location to "Cadillac Ranch"! :)

Seriously, listen to Rick. I love these cars, they are my absolute favorites, but you will never ever turn a profit restoring one. There simply isn't the interest from serious collectors, and the body styles (all closed 2 and 4 door sedans) are not prized in the collector car world. Though I think (and you agree) these are awesome cars, to the vast majority of people they will always only be old cars, and valued accordingly.

However, I do like your idea of the bait and switch job with the Olds. Most devious!:lildevil:

Just like with the white one you were contemplating a while back: if you like it and it speaks to you, go for it. But do it because you will love and keep the car (at least for a while), not because you think you'll ever turn a profit.

Craig (who wishes he had room for a Cadillac Ranch!)

Night Wolf
05-21-06, 02:41 PM
AHHHH

So I went to the junkyard and inquired about that '79 Fleetwood Brougham again... it was moved, but still unharmed...

they DO have a title, meaning they will sell it... last time a guy (the owner I think?) said $500, today they said $1,000... no way!. They said to call them tomorrow when the boss man is in to talk about it... I was hoping they would say $300, max $500, but still, I don't know much about the car... and in actuality, they would probably be loosing money on the whole ordeal... but it would get a 2nd life...

basically, its white, the paint... would shine up, but there are some scratches/surface rust, there is actually a rot hole on the left back corner of the trunk. No body damage....except the rear bumper is bent down. The white vinyl top is in very good shape, no rips or tears... there are a couple spots of rust, mostly around the edge of the vinyl top.

The interior... the white leather is not bad, back seat is very good, seat back pockets not stretched out, driver seat ripped, all 4 arm rests ripped, no head rest...

the dash and carpet are that teal blue... not cool.

Car is complete otherwise... I pushed the front and back down a bit, shocks are kinda worn, but thats not a big deal...

If I ever stored my '79 away like I wanted to... I would defintily get this car... why? That had a mint rear bumper, mint trunk lid (it would get painted) and.... that nasty blue interior would be swapped out for the neally nice d'Elegance Ceder Red interior... the whole dash, carpet, everything that would be blue in the Fleet would not be red... White top, white car, white leather with red trim... THAT would be nice...

But... I don't have my '79, and I don't even have access to it... and I am getting the '89 Brougham which is in much better shape then this '79 Fleet is.... and I already have too many cars as it is... so I think its going to be a no go....

Junkman
05-21-06, 04:07 PM
I have a feeling that I am the old man on these forums because I started collecting old cars back in 1958. I can back up what everyone is telling you. Trying to restore a worn out car is like trying to make a lady out of a whore. You can put a fresh dress on her (paint), and you can fix the dental work (restore the interior), make sure that all the medical problems are fixed (repair the engine, trans, rear), but when you are all done, it will still cost you a bundle, and you never know when she will leave you for another man (die at the side of the road). If you convince her to come back to you (spend more money on repairs), you still don't know how much extra you will be spending on a high maintenance woman (that is called additional unexpected repairs). Start off with a lady (both cars and women) and you will always be better off. You will love them and they will reward you with unconditional love in return. I know because I was once young and foolish also and spent a lot of money on both women and cars..... Junk....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-06, 04:24 PM
Good advice Junkman!

Ben, it's yellow with a saddle colored interior?

Destroyer
05-21-06, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling that I am the old man on these forums because I started collecting old cars back in 1958. Sounds about right:thumbsup:

Benzilla
05-22-06, 12:19 AM
I have a feeling that I am the old man on these forums because I started collecting old cars back in 1958. I can back up what everyone is telling you. Trying to restore a worn out car is like trying to make a lady out of a whore. You can put a fresh dress on her (paint), and you can fix the dental work (restore the interior), make sure that all the medical problems are fixed (repair the engine, trans, rear), but when you are all done, it will still cost you a bundle, and you never know when she will leave you for another man (die at the side of the road). If you convince her to come back to you (spend more money on repairs), you still don't know how much extra you will be spending on a high maintenance woman (that is called additional unexpected repairs). Start off with a lady (both cars and women) and you will always be better off. You will love them and they will reward you with unconditional love in return. I know because I was once young and foolish also and spent a lot of money on both women and cars..... Junk....
That is very interesting and true, but if that whore wants to leave me for another man, she'll get herself a nice backhand, then get patched up and sent to the next loser, get what I'm saying :cool2:

Anyway, updates.

Looks like it probably won't happen, now with the Phaeton coming, the driveway is packed(no more room at all) so if anybody can thing of anywhere else to put it, please tell me. also, no money to get plates and stuff on it, but storing it is the main thing. What sucks is that the car means a lot to me, I mean I've been hunting it for almost half a year now, and every time I think its mine, it gets ripped away. I really don't want to see it go to some dumbass redneck that will just beat the shit out of it, I mean right now it looks a little rough, but it could be very pretty with just some honest work, unlike most you find for that price ($500). but this is the fourth time it has popped up, so if its ment to be, I'll see it again. If I just had more room!

Oh, and it needs to be clear that I am not fixing it up to sell it! some of you seem to actually think I am, what am I crazy? thats just a front!

Anyway, I'm not sure it really matters now, but heres some details about the car:

The body color is light yellow, to dirty to see which one. The body work isin't bad, no dents but some surface rust, nothing I can't handle. Paint is not to bad, but the top of the trunk lid is starting to crack.. It looks like one of the last owners tried to help it out, doing some body work and stuff, but then they sold it and it got beat up really bad by some dumb whore. it even has a sticker in the back window that says something like "caution, pimp zone, violaters will be bitch slapped" now thats funny. Interior is antique saddle leather, the last time I saw it there was stuff stacked up to the roof in some spots, but from what I could see, the drivers seat was ripped up, passenger seat was not too bad, back seat was mint, isin't that the way it always works? :D . It had current plates, so I know it runs, plus she used it to move like 20 miles, so it must. All in all, a very do-ably project that would be really fun. I really wish I could just get her off the streets, feed her, clean her up, and make sure she dosn't end up lyeing dead in some dark back street, know what I'm saying? to bad I already have four "ladies" to take care of.

Not giving up, just waiting, I know she's out there waiting too. :(

Night Wolf
05-22-06, 01:37 AM

If it was a '59, I'd take a whore ;) :).

Junkman
05-22-06, 03:03 AM
If it was a '59, I'd take a whore ;) :).

The strange thing is that the 1959 Cadillacs were nothing special until the Ghostbuster's movie came about. I remember my folks had two of them, a Fleetwood 4 door and a 4 door DeVille. Neither one was anything special to write home about. In fact, they were kind of dogs when it came to fuel economy. Yes, there was fuel crisis back then also.... They were large bulky cars with inadequate braking, and it took a 4 lane highway to make a U turn. I will say that they did ride well on the highway with the long wheel base. Steering response was measured in minutes and yards, but it all didn't matter, because they were Cadillacs..... the Standard of the World. Three years later, they were totally out of style and problematic with transmission problems.... under 50 K miles each, and were traded on two new 1962 Caddies. The '62 Coupe DeVille sported such modern things as real leather bucket seats, and a radio with a floor control to change the station. The '62 Fleetwood seemed to be just a extension of all the previous Fleetwood's, with nothing outstanding about its interior design. The exterior of 1962's had much more sophisticated lines and were far superior in looks to the 1959, based on the then current design criteria. I will say that today, I would gladly take any of them even with the inherent problems. I loved the 1949 Sedan Deville..... best riding car that I have ever had the pleasure of driving when I was young. Had comfortable seats that reminded you of being seated on a couch. Back then, a Cadillac spoke volumes....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-06, 01:01 PM
Personally, I find the '59s to be very gaudy. I much prefer the 60-64 models.

77CDV
05-22-06, 02:34 PM
Ben,

Any chance of renting a space at a reasonable rate at an RV storage lot or somesuch in Morristown? At least it would be a place to store her, if you're that serious about it. Just a thought.

Craig

Night Wolf
05-22-06, 04:44 PM
Ghostbusters has nothing to do with the fame of the '59..... It was the time when the Ghostbusters came out, that the cars were really starting to become classics....

It's the pinnical of Cadillac... the biggest tail fins, the best lines... everything. The '59 Caddy is not used in atleast a hundred songs and many movies since it came out, just because it was in Ghostbusters.

I really would like a '55 Coupe DeVille, hard top, I would like that to be my first real classic Caddy I fix up, they are alot cheaper then the '59s, thats the main reason... but I will have a '59 one day.

1961 is perhaps the only year of a classic Cadillac I really would not want to own....

'55-'60 are the best years for Cadillac, bar none.

Adam
05-22-06, 04:46 PM
hey Ben, if you dont get it let me know cause i want it. can you get some pics of it for me?

77CDV
05-23-06, 12:12 AM
1961 is perhaps the only year of a classic Cadillac I really would not want to own....

Rick,

Funny you should say it, but 61 (and maybe 62) is the only year of the 59-64 design cycle that I would want to own!:)

Craig

Benzilla
05-23-06, 12:52 PM
Ben,

Any chance of renting a space at a reasonable rate at an RV storage lot or somesuch in Morristown? At least it would be a place to store her, if you're that serious about it. Just a thought.

Craig
I've been thinking about that, it seems like the only way it would be possible for me to get it, but from what I've hread from people on here and stuff storing it would be like $50 a month! does that seem high to you or is it just me?

hey Ben, if you dont get it let me know cause i want it. can you get some pics of it for me?

Yeah, I'm still not sure if I can get it or not, I should know in a few days, I'll let you know. Oh and if I go look at it where it is now I'll get some pics.

77CDV
05-23-06, 01:13 PM
I've been thinking about that, it seems like the only way it would be possible for me to get it, but from what I've hread from people on here and stuff storing it would be like $50 a month! does that seem high to you or is it just me?

Seems about right to me, although I would invest in a car cover, unlike the fool you bought your Phaeton from. Just sitting out in the open exposed to the elements, I ask you.:nono:

Benzilla
05-23-06, 01:34 PM
Yeah, and don't worry, the Phaeton is getting a cover as soon as it gets here, I wish it could have a garage, but a cover is the best I can do. Plus I'm getting some of that Ragg Topp stuff so any water that does get on the top will bead off and not soak in.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 04:33 PM
I have to ask, when IS that Phaeton getting there?! It's been forever! ****in' movers!

Benzilla
05-23-06, 04:46 PM
Ugh! Long story, I'll try to shorten it up

Ok, last friday it had been 15 days since I first got car on a truck, after 15 days, you can get your money back, so I did, and now I'm trying to find another shipping company that will ACTUALLY GET IT HERE! So far, the fastest it will even be shipped is the 4th of June. the 4th of june for christ's sake!!!

This sucks, at least I know I own the car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 05:18 PM
Fly out there?? ROADTRIP Henry Hill style!!!!

Benzilla
05-23-06, 09:55 PM
I want to do that really bad, but it would cost more, only by like $500, so I might still do that.

Plus every time I take a car on the freeway, I get millions of tiny chips on the front clip, am I the only one who has this problem? and is there anything I can put over the front edge to protect it for the trip?

77CDV
05-23-06, 10:33 PM
I want to do that really bad, but it would cost more, only by like $500, so I might still do that.

Plus every time I take a car on the freeway, I get millions of tiny chips on the front clip, am I the only one who has this problem? and is there anything I can put over the front edge to protect it for the trip?

Every see a stone shield? You can attach them real easily in front of the front clip, then remove when you no longer need/want it there. Do the road trip!!!! Hell, it's a straight shot over I-40, then swing down I-15, across I-10, and up US 101 (well, in reverse, since you'd be going to TN). DO IT!!!!:thumbsup:

Benzilla
05-23-06, 10:44 PM
They make stone shields for these cars? and with a hugeass Rolls Royce grille? If I can find on its on. they don't sell ones for Cadillacs in Tennessee :D

Other than that, I was thinking maby just put a couple pieces in duck tape stuck on the front clip, ugly? yes. but it would get the job done in a pinch.

77CDV
05-23-06, 10:55 PM
They make stone shields for these cars? and with a hugeass Rolls Royce grille? If I can find on its on. they don't sell ones for Cadillacs in Tennessee :D

Other than that, I was thinking maby just put a couple pieces in duck tape stuck on the front clip, ugly? yes. but it would get the job done in a pinch.

Sure, my 77 had one when I bought it (since removed, and, no I don't still have it). I don't have the Hannibal Lechter muzzle on my car, but the shield had adjustable mounting brackets so that it could be positioned to accommodate many different front ends. They usually sell them at auto parts stores, sometimes off-road type stores will stock them. Duct tape bad, adhesive remove paint, leave sticky goo on front of car. Use painter's tape if you must use tape at all.

Craig

tripleyellow78cad
05-24-06, 03:08 AM
hey guys , i got a 78 cdv for sale , 96k orig miles, triple yellow , new tires,
no rust , smogged and tagged till march 2007, cold ac, working 8 track tape player, beautiful car, rust free in southern california
heres a link to a some photos of the car
(these were the only pics i have right now)
this is the only way i knew how to post a pic

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B72473012FE2BB4A (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B72473012FE2BB4A)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=06694839356B2A2B (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=06694839356B2A2B)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5E7427845FD5A38D (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5E7427845FD5A38D)

i hope you all can see these, i know more about cadillacs than i do computers.

make offer,

thanks lee

tripleyellow78cad
05-25-06, 03:00 AM
any one interested in my caddy?
pm me:thumbsup:

Benzilla
05-25-06, 07:23 AM
nobody wants your caddy I guess :)

93fleetwoodlowlow: go for it, I can't get it. and sorry, no pics. do you know where it is?

About the Phaeton, it looks like its getting shipped here :( my parents are cheap, and want to save $800, and don't care if I ever see Cali.

So thats that, if I really wanted to go to Cali really bad, I would push, but by now I just want to get the car here as fast as possible, no more f*cking around. So I guess my trip the west coast will have to wait.

77CDV
05-25-06, 01:01 PM
Pity, and our weather is just getting really good, too.

tripleyellow78cad
05-25-06, 07:37 PM
Sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Adam
05-26-06, 12:26 AM
93fleetwoodlowlow: go for it, I can't get it. and sorry, no pics. do you know where it is?

well if they will take a credit card i can buy it. if its down in Morristown, well if you can get me a phone number i'll call them. ya'll are just an hour or so down the road so you aint far.

Fleetwood472
05-26-06, 05:32 PM
Hey Nightwolf Do you still have the wire rims from your 79 caddy? If so would you be interested in selling or trading them for something? I would PM you but it says that I dont have enough posts yet. Thanks - Justin

Benzilla
05-26-06, 09:52 PM
well if they will take a credit card i can buy it. if its down in Morristown, well if you can get me a phone number i'll call them. ya'll are just an hour or so down the road so you aint far.
Its in Newport, in front of a low-income appartment place, thats all I've been told.