: who's engine ticks...

SBONES
05-20-06, 09:10 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has a slight tick sound...might be normal, who know's at this point...Doesnt sound to bad to me...my neck-bone friend pointed it out to me the other day...i never noticed it...he has an m5, with a blown clutch...he said "mine makes the same noise".

keeksv
05-20-06, 10:04 AM
Slight valve train noise is a normal part of these engines in my experience..worse with engine cover off.

ew

Florian
05-20-06, 10:13 AM
...anyone with an LSx based motor..

F

atdeneve
05-20-06, 12:59 PM
Yea, I was definitely worried about that tick-tick sound too. First heard it when I stopped at an atm and left the engine on. I think the ticking reverberated off the building walls and allowed me to hear it very distinctly. Got me all worried and after walking around the engine bay and bending my head down to the wheel (to listen to the ticking), I basically tried to rationalize it as just another quirk of the V. Thanks for corroborating.

SBONES
05-20-06, 06:26 PM
thats what i figured...the only thing that i want to get rid of at this point is the clunk in the driveline...why so much play in the driveshaft...will a new diff fix the clunk...or a flywheel...or both. I dont know if the specter bushings made it worse...i sort of think so.

GT04CTS-V
05-21-06, 07:32 AM
Most of the noise is coming from the fuel injectors.

GT

austin
05-21-06, 10:42 AM
Mine does it on the left side under the head after first cold startup of the day. Rest of the starts its quiet. Not sure if its piston slap, or an accessory. It "almost" sounds like a "gurgling" rod knock type noise. It's not crazy loud, its just a noise that you hear and know does not sound right, about the same volume of a bad serpentine belt tensioner bearing.

Florian
05-21-06, 01:00 PM

GT

you are kidding, right? too funny.

F

GT04CTS-V
05-21-06, 04:09 PM
you are kidding, right? too funny.

F

No - Why should I be kidding? Think about it, each fuel injector is nothing more than a solenoid. And yes, they do make noise. And yes, this noise sounds like a tick, click, whatever. Most of the normal ticking sounds are from the injectors, the valve train shouldn't make any ticking sounds, especially with stock lifters. Man, :wtf: :thepan:

From the web (do a search):

"Fuel injectors also make normal sounds. They are especially noticeable at warm idle on vehicles equipped with an electronic multi-point fuel injection system. The injectors will "click" distinctly and sometimes audibly to a driver or passenger. This is because a fuel injector is basically a hyper-accurate, miniature electrical solenoid. Every click each injector makes supplies fuel (under pressure) to its cylinder for that power cycle. That's a lot of clicking!"

GT

FZfan
05-21-06, 04:55 PM
GTO is correct. The injectors on the 5.7 in my 2003 'Vette made a light but noticible clicking noise; I would assume the Z06 motor would sound similar. If you want to isolate the noise use a section of 1/2 inch rubber hose as a sort of stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and the other up to the injector (may involve engine cover gymnastics); it sounds like a light but sharp ticking noise. If the injectors are not the source of the noise, you can use your homemade 'scope to pin point the source, just don't burn your self or get any appendages or clothes caught in the belts. The loudest injectors I've ever heard on a stock motor were on my 1992 Dodge Dakota V8. I thought it was effed up until I got it side my side with two others, they sounded exacty the same. I drove the hell out of that truck without a single engine problem. If somone has an '04 or '05 V to compare with, that would be the best check.

My LS2 in my '06 seems to be slightly quieter but the sound is still there. If this is what you're hearing then no worries. :gnome:

SBONES
05-21-06, 06:26 PM
tick..tick..tick...tick..tick...really fast and really faint....it got really loud one day, i was like wtf...it was the rubber gromit...it came out alittle...the one right behind the clutch and brake...im telling ya, i never herd it until my friend pointed it out. Im now thinking its fine.

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-21-06, 07:04 PM
GT's on the money - I've noticed the ticking with every car I've owned with fuel injection. Rev the engine slowly while sitting next to a wall - you'll hear the ticking speed increase with the accelerator - no drive train action coming into play.

mostoyzwinz
05-21-06, 10:27 PM
I've got a tick, and it's nervous.

CTSV05
05-21-06, 11:11 PM
Yes I have some injector noise as well, engine cover off, so its a normal sound IMO.

blackonblackonblack
05-22-06, 04:04 AM
mine made the same sound for a few k. Then i bought a corsa and maggie. Can't hear it any more, even at an idle. Ghetto fix.

Florian
05-22-06, 08:16 AM
well dang, my apologies, I have never heard of injector noise being part of the pushrod tick....hmm, learn something new everyday. Humble apologies to GT.

F

Chef
05-22-06, 01:10 PM

Tis true...

Thank God It's not lyme disease...:alchi:

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-22-06, 08:10 PM
Thank God It's not lyme disease...:alchi:
Yeah Chef - with ya on the tic.......So if it was Lyme disease, is that worse than being a lemon?