: Northstar upgrades?

TripleblackETC
05-19-06, 09:00 PM
Believe me, the car is plenty fast enough as it is. I was just wondering what other things I could do, or other people here have done, to increase the horsepower in my ETC. I was thinking about putting a K&N air filter in along with magnaflow mufflers and cat...but is there anything else that can be done?

Ranger
05-19-06, 09:20 PM
OH OH :hide:
Do a search for K & N before another war breaks out. :duck:

CadillacSTS42005
05-19-06, 09:33 PM
K&N = BAD

Best things you can do are:
run high octane gas
full cat back exhaust with 3inch pipe y into 2 1/2 and swap in 2 performance mufflers of your choice (dynomax, magnaflow, flowmaster, etc etc etc)
remove the cat
purchase an 80mm throttle body from eldorado1

thats about it my friend

TripleblackETC
05-19-06, 09:54 PM
K&N = BAD

Best things you can do are:
run high octane gas
full cat back exhaust with 3inch pipe y into 2 1/2 and swap in 2 performance mufflers of your choice (dynomax, magnaflow, flowmaster, etc etc etc)
remove the cat
purchase an 80mm throttle body from eldorado1

thats about it my friend

Yeah, after what I've read I don't think it's really worth it to put in the K&N filter.

I definitely like the idea of a full cat back exhaust and new performance mufflers.

Can you elaborate about removing the cat? Are you just saying to buy a performance one or something else?

And where do I find information about the 80mm throttle body? I'd be interested in purchasing one if I knew how it worked and if it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to do.

eldorado1
05-19-06, 10:02 PM
And where do I find information about the 80mm throttle body? I'd be interested in purchasing one if I knew how it worked and if it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to do.

I don't have any 80mm throttle bodies for '95s... They're significantly different from the later years. It's on the back burner though.

As for the high octane... meh... dont' waste your money. The northstar was designed for 91, so putting in higher octane won't get you more power unless you can increase the timing... and you can't.

But, that's a good summary of what's commonly available. I'd like to add nitrous to the short list as well. :bouncy:

oh, and I believe it was the WIX air filter that had a good compromise between airflow and particulate blockage... there's a thread somewhere.

CadillacSTS42005
05-19-06, 10:02 PM
its a bored out orginal one to 80 mm sold by a guy on the forum named eldorado1. they were like 300 with a spacer

removing the cat was what i was saying however its illegal but you would gain hp

CadillacSTS42005
05-19-06, 10:04 PM
oh my bad yea thats eldorado1 haha

higher octane will help somewhat though it will help clear out the engine and therefor run alot smoother

eldorado1
05-19-06, 10:10 PM
oh my bad yea thats eldorado1 haha

higher octane will help somewhat though it will help clear out the engine and therefor run alot smoother

Hi! :wave:

Cheveron/Texaco (although I can't specifically recommend texaco due to past bad experiences) sells fuel with Techron that is really good at keeping the engine clean. So I read anyways...

The 80mm's are $200, the spacers are $50, but I'm not an active vendor at the moment. I'm trying to get caught up on past orders, and get some in stock before repurchasing a vendor status here. But as I said, that's for 96-99. The 93-95's are different, but are in the works.

TripleblackETC
05-20-06, 02:27 PM

Cheveron/Texaco (although I can't specifically recommend texaco due to past bad experiences) sells fuel with Techron that is really good at keeping the engine clean. So I read anyways...

The 80mm's are $200, the spacers are $50, but I'm not an active vendor at the moment. I'm trying to get caught up on past orders, and get some in stock before repurchasing a vendor status here. But as I said, that's for 96-99. The 93-95's are different, but are in the works.

Nice....I'll definitley be on the look out for those. In the mean time, it looks like going with the cat back and new mufflers is the way to go.

inurok
05-22-06, 10:50 AM

Do you make a 80 mm for my car? Its a 2005 Bonneville GXP with the 275 hp N*?

eldorado1
05-22-06, 11:53 AM
Not currently... Is there much interest for 2000+ engines?

Tombo47
05-23-06, 11:00 AM
i have a 2000 DTS that id like that throttle body for.

eldorado1
05-23-06, 11:49 AM
Oh wait... I remember the problem... Your throttle bodies bolt to the water crossover, which would have to be bored out as well. Aside from the shipping problems, I don't know what it would take to bore it out... probably a CNC mill... $$$.

TripleblackETC
05-24-06, 07:06 PM
What about doing something to the Manifold Air Temperature sensor? If this thing provides the air temperature information to the PCM to calculate air intake density, is there a way to make it work so the PCM always takes in the most amount of air?