: The V crosses racial, age, gender divides.

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-19-06, 06:06 PM
Just stating an observation based opinion here - but I find it pretty cool.... Have you noticed how the V "breaks through" the false walls we put up around strangers.
I've never had a car that causes SO many people to engage me in conversation about it....young men at gas stations, guards at plant sites of various ethnic backgrounds, even women and people on the street.

It's the sign of a true American Classic in the making - You don't see this kind of reaction regarding American cars these days (because there are so many excellent foreign cars).....I find it refreshing and enjoyable - link a momentary connection with someone you otherwise would not have met.

Adam
05-19-06, 06:11 PM
i dont have a V but my CTS is always getting complimented or someone (no matter how young/old, race, or gender) is asking me about the car. i couldnt agree with your statement more.

dqw1
05-19-06, 10:00 PM
I love seeing folks who have big butt SUV's with chrome dubs and other interest watching my V or asking about it. This is everyday. I have my dream car and thats what I tell people at work who comment that my car is always clean and parked away from everyone. Priceless.

anim8orCTSV
05-20-06, 01:21 AM
First off, I have had my V for 5 weeks or so and I started off the day today with 2222 miles on it (so I have not had it for very long). I am so crazy about this car. I can't believe how safe I feel in it, even when I am driving it HARD. And holy crap is it fast. I have not had anyone out run me yet.

But you know what's funny? I get more comments from people over 60 (litterally) than anyone else. They always say, "That's a beautiful Caddy you have there."

When I explain to them what the V is, they get even more impressed. I think it's cool to have someone older than you compliment you on your ride.

-Anim8orCTSV

anim8orCTSV
05-20-06, 01:25 AM
...I have my dream car...my car is always clean and parked away from everyone.

You know, I had my last car for 5 years and I never washed it myself even once.

Since I have had my V I have cleaned it myself every Friday morning (while it is still in the shade of the house). I have probably cleaned this car more time in a month and a half than I have all my previous cars combined.

The V is an amazing car, it deserves to be clean :-)

-Anim8orCTSV

CADI-V
05-20-06, 01:26 AM
Proud V owners, aren't they just great!!!! We are all lucky people to drive such a sweet machine ...:yup:

cjones
05-20-06, 11:36 AM
Maybe it's just being in a big city (Atlanta) but no one seams to notice mine. My old M5 went pretty unnoticed too (except for the occassional car guy who knew what it was) and so did my C5s. Driving in to Buckhead Atlanta and seeing a DB9 and tons of AMG cars, it's tough to stand out!

What used to get noticed was my old 93 Trans Am with a load ass Vortech supercharger, headers and a big cam. But that was mostly looks of "what the f*ck is that? run!".

Devil_concours
05-20-06, 11:46 AM
Maybe it's just being in a big city (Atlanta) but no one seams to notice mine. My old M5 went pretty unnoticed too (except for the occassional car guy who knew what it was) and so did my C5s. Driving in to Buckhead Atlanta and seeing a DB9 and tons of AMG cars, it's tough to stand out!

What used to get noticed was my old 93 Trans Am with a load ass Vortech supercharger, headers and a big cam. But that was mostly looks of "what the f*ck is that? run!".
have you seen that one house near buckhead that's bigger than the governor's mansion?

FZfan
05-20-06, 01:30 PM
Picked up my '06 V two nights ago. I traded in my '03 50th Anniversary 6 speed C5. I wanted something that wouldn't stand out (I'm not looking for attention) so I got the Light Titanium (silver). The funny thing is that people that I actually want to talk do notice the car; cops and gang bangers in clapped out CRX's don't. This is important since I live near Stockton California - number 2 car theft per capita in the US.

I'm still taking it easy (long pull accels, no more than 4K RPM) since it's brand new but damn is this thing a hoot! The gear ratios are much MUCH better than the Vette's. Sixth gear is actually useful and the LS2 is much more flexible. The car is amazing! I only put 6,700 miles on my Vette in three years, I'll put that on the V in year one!

I was looking at the SRT-8 (too "Pimp-My-Ride" for me, drives "huge" and no stick), the M3 (too small), and the Audi S4 (small and sanitized for your protection). The V is the bomb! I was driving home this morning and turned a corner in third gear, got on the gas and did a picture perfect, beautiful tail out power slide! I was alone and I laughed out loud!

Thank you to everyone in this forum. This is where I did my "real" research on the V - Cadillac owes you all a sales comission!

Take care!

Vendetta-V-
05-20-06, 02:03 PM
^^^^
Congrats on the purchase. I too used this site as a huge resource to my overall research.

Ironically, my wife and I were real close to buying a Z06, but then began to think realistically in terms of practicality with long-term ownership. ...this decision was despite the fact that we already own two other sedans (IS 300 and Camry).

Enjoy

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-20-06, 08:41 PM
Yeah I'm not looking to stand out either - but I like that the styling is distinctive while so many others look alike. I like the way the angular look carries through into the interior along the top padding of the doors inside - looks well thought out.
Even Hip Hop types love the V - Cadillac means something again.

CVP33
05-20-06, 09:08 PM
I never told anyone this but when I had my V I was approached at a gas station by an African American, Asian, Indian, Hermaphrodite that was wearing a burka and handed me a pamphlet regarding becoming a Jehovah Witness. Did I mention he/she was an amputee? I got a thumb up as he/she only had one thumb.

cjones
05-20-06, 10:24 PM
I think it's Chris Klaus', founder of ISS who until recently had the largest house in Atlanta. Might be someone else though, not sure.

have you seen that one house near buckhead that's bigger than the governor's mansion?

VELOSE
05-20-06, 10:34 PM
Tracy, CA is only 15min from Stockton. We're in the same county too. I better make sure I don't leave the V unattended even during the day.:eek:

It's because of all the, "hey man, you're car is nice. That has a Z06 motor and tranny? You supercharged it? It's 6 speed? That sounds nice. Nice car bro. Oh that's the 400hp Cadillac, huh?" I can't get enough of all the compliments I get. This is why I have to check myself every once in awhile and tell myself I won't be able to find a replacement car this complete.

Vendetta-V-
05-20-06, 10:38 PM
I haven't had a peep said to me yet. Can someone give me a hug? :(

DILLIGAF
05-21-06, 01:02 AM
I never told anyone this but when I had my V I was approached at a gas station by an African American, Asian, Indian, Hermaphrodite that was wearing a burka and handed me a pamphlet regarding becoming a Jehovah Witness. Did I mention he/she was an amputee? I got a thumb up as he/she only had one thumb.Good reads cvp!:worship:

Poopie D
05-21-06, 01:43 AM
I have the only V in town and every single day I get at least one person asking me about the car. I traded in my Mustang GT convertible because I did not like the attention...not that a Mustang is anything too special but the fact that people just have to look at who is driving a convertible. It must be some kind of unwritten rule, but everyone looks at a convertible no matter what. I was surprised how much attention I get in the V but I do not mind it like I did in the Mustang. It is a good kind of attention...from people who are car lovers or people who are interested in a car they have never seen before.

Bottom line...I love my V! (but I wish the brakes didn't squeak so much when I am cruising!!!)

FZfan
05-21-06, 11:29 AM
Hey Velsoe, I actually screwed up the car theft stat. Modesto, California is #1 per capita car thefts, Vasalia is #2, Stockton is #3. To top it off, Fresno and Sacramento are in the top 10, all very close to us...

I didn't get lo-jack - maybe I should reconisder???

I had a bunch of folks over to the house last night and they all were suprised that I bought a Cadillac, "That's an old man's car..." When they see the car, "Oh, now I understand." Everyone mentions the chisled cut lines and the stance. One of the 18 guests new exactly what a CTS-V was, the other 17 were suprised that Caddy makes a V8/6 speed combo. Words used by my gests were classy, elegant, sweet (from my 14 year old nephew), purposeful. The only person that didn't really seem to like the car was my niece in-law's (if there is such a thing) dorky boyfriend. I think he drives a Kia (not that there's anything wrong with that).

VELOSE
05-21-06, 02:26 PM
I get that every once in awhile too, "that's an old man's car." Like you, after explaining what the car is about, I get the "Wow" after.

FZfan, maybe when a meet ever gets setup in our area, you can come out. ;)

Off Topic but, I have to share. Yesterday I spotted about 4-5 of those Chargers covered in black Hemi vinyls at the local Sonic Burgers. I was in the V and passed by revving on them. I felt like the idiot doing it but it was fun to get their attention.

FZfan
05-21-06, 02:43 PM
I'm happy that American made high performance sedans are back in production so I shouldn't complain but I think the Charger is butt ugly (I'm sure someone out there thinks the CTS-V is ugly and I'm ok with that). The stickers are horrible; they're really thick and it looks like a JB Whitney graphics kit. The Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is a much better looking car although the style isn't for me.

If you hear of any local meets, email me for sure and I'll be there. Look for me on the 5.

calicadi
05-21-06, 02:55 PM
Want some fun... show up at a local autocross or track day. Then you'll get some commentary! My favorite came from the announcer over the loud speakers... words to the effect, "And that completes the last run of the Caddy for today. Now it's off to the opera."

Devil_concours
05-21-06, 07:53 PM
I think it's Chris Klaus', founder of ISS who until recently had the largest house in Atlanta. Might be someone else though, not sure.
It's Mark Hawn's house. Owner of the company that i work for.

mostoyzwinz
05-21-06, 11:41 PM
I never told anyone this but when I had my V I was approached at a gas station by an African American, Asian, Indian, Hermaphrodite that was wearing a burka and handed me a pamphlet regarding becoming a Jehovah Witness. Did I mention he/she was an amputee? I got a thumb up as he/she only had one thumb.

There you go again.

50-50 - half comment on it's looks and have not a clue what it is by saying things like "a cadillace with a manual transmission?". Other half are on it and green in envy. Best trick in the book is tell people at a party I drive and old boat cadillac...then take them out for a beer run :eek: . After the ride they're either grinning from ear to ear or mumbling something about how immature I am with my driving and not growing up :thumbsup:

P-Funk
05-22-06, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I got the whole "you have a Caddy? But you're not 60 yet." from the people at the office. I tried to explain the concept of the V to them but they still didn't understand. I took some of them for a ride and now they all understand what it's all about.

CVP33
05-22-06, 08:08 PM
There you go again.

50-50 - half comment on it's looks and have not a clue what it is by saying things like "a cadillace with a manual transmission?". Other half are on it and green in envy. Best trick in the book is tell people at a party I drive and old boat cadillac...then take them out for a beer run :eek: . After the ride they're either grinning from ear to ear or mumbling something about how immature I am with my driving and not growing up :thumbsup:

Things I hate. When someone comes up and says, yeah my buddy just got one of these with the vogue tires and the aftermarket grille. Then you try to explain that this is the V. Then they say yeah I know, this is what my buddy has. NO HE DOESN'T.

Things that I love. Being ignored at the first stop light. Being flagged down at the second stop light. "What the hell is in that thing man!?"

Good fun. :highfive:

BadCad
05-22-06, 08:50 PM
Damn.... no on slamming the V here? Damn.... did I die or somethin'? Good to read these comments for once.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mostoyzwinz
05-23-06, 08:41 AM
Things that I love. Being ignored at the first stop light. Being flagged down at the second stop light. "What the hell is in that thing man!?"

Good fun. :highfive:[/quote]

Yup. :rofl: :2thumbs:

SwampFox
05-23-06, 02:18 PM
A couple of friends wanted a ride in my "old man's car" back in December. After speed shifting into 2nd the woman in the Passenger seat blew lunch.
Took me 2 hours to clean it up. Now I carry barf bags I got from Northwest Airlines.
Bottom line... If they are inside the car and you want to impress them, beware and be prepared!!

anim8orCTSV
05-24-06, 03:42 AM
No way. PLEASE tell me that was a joke? Did that actually happen?:vomit:

-Anim8orCTSV

Loadtoad
05-24-06, 01:19 PM
I have the only V in Italy and the car attracts way too much attention. So much so that I am on the same tank of gas from October. Too paranoid about having it stolen or wrecked by these maniacs who drive next to you on a 2 lane road in a no passing zone while running on coming traffic off the road just so they can look at the car.

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-24-06, 09:43 PM
Loadtoad - No kidding - in Italy? That's interesting - expensive gas yet a country who appreciates high performance cars. And the V is clearly distinctive - much more so than so many modern cars.

So - you've given insight to their curiosity, what's their final opinion? Have you taken any locals for a ride in it?

V-Smooth
05-25-06, 04:00 PM
I get the "old man" comment all the time from co-workers until they actually see (and hear :) ) the car. "You're young, why the heck did you buy a caddy..." after a little session of 'show-n-tell' they understand, 'nuff said. Nothing like the V on the road today and I have to say that I feel very proud to own such an exciting GM vehicle. She's a beauty, and a quick little b***h at that!

BTW, next question from co-workers is MPG. I live in Seattle where pump 92 is about $3.50/gallon. (Still cheap in my mind becuase I value driving the automobile) They just shake their heads...mind you, I live in seattle and work for a well-known seattle-based company who has a knack for being "environmentally conscience" among other things...love my job though.

...there's no replacement for displacement!

Rock on fellow V-cronies...

Ya-heard?! :thumbsup:

mostoyzwinz
05-25-06, 04:09 PM
next question from co-workers is MPG. I live in Seattle where pump 92 is about $3.50/gallon. (Still cheap in my mind becuase I value driving the automobile) They just shake their heads...mind you, I live in seattle and work for a well-known seattle-based company who has a knack for being "environmentally conscience" among other things.

It an environementally friendly vehicle....I get 23 mpg at 80mph. And as one of our other forum particpants reminds us in his signature, it's a hybrid...burns gas and rubber.

Mat347
05-25-06, 04:18 PM

Same here, Houston has many sweet cars even though I do catch people taking a second glance, I've only been asked about it twice. One was by someone interested in buying one. I don't feel so bad though, the guy in the McLaren SLR that drives down the street where I work doesn't get the attention it deserves either.

OldRoadDawg
05-25-06, 04:47 PM
And as one of our other forum particpants reminds us in his signature, it's a hybrid...burns gas and rubber.

:thumbsup:

Must be nice livin' in them thar big cities. Here in the back country of upper Appalachia (PA) where Buicks and pickemups rule . . some guy the other day circles my V and then asks me . . as I was pumping some Sunoco Ultra 94 . . . "is that the new Buick LaCrosse?" :banghead:

pimpcaddy
05-25-06, 05:07 PM
All,

Bought my '05 used with 2k miles over 3 months ago. Almost 7k now and I'm taking it down to L.A. over Memorial Day weekend. I am thoroughly enjoying this car. I wanted it because I needed more than a 2 seater. Coming from a 1996 Corvette Grand Sport coupe with F45 suspension and a 1991 GMC Syclone. Most that make comments say it's an old man car. The jokes on them.

Dave

Loadtoad
05-25-06, 07:22 PM
Loadtoad - No kidding - in Italy? That's interesting - expensive gas yet a country who appreciates high performance cars. And the V is clearly distinctive - much more so than so many modern cars.

So - you've given insight to their curiosity, what's their final opinion? Have you taken any locals for a ride in it?

The Italians love the car. It definately a breath of fresh air amongst a sea of BMWs and Mercedes. Shocked 2 different M3 owners on the Autostrada (Interstate Hwy) last year. So very few people who have talked to me about the car knew what a V series is. They sell the regular CTS's here but not the V's.

mostoyzwinz
05-31-06, 04:14 PM
:thumbsup:

Must be nice livin' in them thar big cities. Here in the back country of upper Appalachia (PA) where Buicks and pickemups rule . . some guy the other day circles my V and then asks me . . as I was pumping some Sunoco Ultra 94 . . . "is that the new Buick LaCrosse?" :banghead:

Couldn't remeber who that was Dawg...great line :thumbsup: I'll be using it while BSing down at the local hang out.