: Coolant level very low, help needed

LV_V
05-19-06, 01:34 PM
So I was driving yesterday and get a message on the screen to check coolant level. I check it thinking it may need to be topped off since I haven't checked it in about 2 months. It is about 4 inches below the fill line!! I had the radiator replaced under the TSB late last year and figured that would fix my coolant leakage problems. What should I do?

What kind of coolant do I need to top it off with? I have some Prestone 50/50 in the garage, can I use that in the V's coolant tank?

What in the hell could cause the huge loss of coolant? There are no leak marks on the floor in my garage...

ndogg ct
05-19-06, 01:48 PM
i would say almost 100% it's radiator again unless you recently checked and it was okay??for me it took a while before i had to refill my reservoir and it finally got too bad so i had the rad replaced..i have heard of guys going through 2-3 radiators so the new radiator they put is is prob not a long term fix..
as for coolant i would only use something that is compatible with the gm dexcool...

veloce
05-19-06, 05:04 PM
Same problem here and the fix was a new radiator.

Robby2006
05-20-06, 12:51 AM
It's the radiator again. Had mine replaced last week. Sounds like you have one of the old ones. I guess the newest one is from 11/2005. See the TSB on it. I have had 3 now. And I hope this will be the last one.

V-Love
05-20-06, 08:53 AM
Mine is doing the same thing. I topped it off but it still flashes the message every 15 damn seconds. The first 2004's off the line never did that. Too many warnings. How do I shut them off? I guess its time for some service. I hate letting the dealers touch these cars.

V-SATX
05-20-06, 09:41 AM
So I was driving yesterday and get a message on the screen to check coolant level. I check it thinking it may need to be topped off since I haven't checked it in about 2 months. It is about 4 inches below the fill line!! I had the radiator replaced under the TSB late last year and figured that would fix my coolant leakage problems. What should I do?

What kind of coolant do I need to top it off with? I have some Prestone 50/50 in the garage, can I use that in the V's coolant tank?

What in the hell could cause the huge loss of coolant? There are no leak marks on the floor in my garage...

I would just top it off with some fresh water. You should use the coolant recommended in your manual if you add coolant. However, do not spend the money. Top it off with water and if you get the error again within the next few days it is most definately the radiator.

Good luck:rant2:

SBONES
05-20-06, 09:58 AM
this is so gay...im also on my second radiator. anyone know the part # to new one...just want to make sure its in mine...they said they put the new one in...been about 8 weeks and no problem yet. Ill check my service order.

ctsvett
05-20-06, 01:46 PM
did they blee the air out of it properly? maybe you have some air in the system...

Perhaps the sensor is bad... if you get it every 15 seconds, it sounds like wiring or a sensor maybe.

Reed

heavymetals
05-20-06, 02:34 PM
Use distilled water.:thumbsup:

ewill3rd
05-22-06, 07:12 AM
Your choices include:

Take it back to the dealer and do nothing, if it's only a little low it won't hurt it, as long as there is coolant in the tank you should be fine, it's the highest spot in the cooling system.
If it's empty, I'd top it off with water.

Top it off with water and take it to the dealer.

It's almost a waste of time to speculate as to what is wrong, they could have not filled it properly and an air pocket made it's way out of the system and back into the tank or it could have ANOTHER leak. It COULD be the radiator but I haven't had any come back after I replaced one with the updated part.
Either way it's the responsibility of the dealer to fix it, especially if it's still under factory warranty.