: '94 Fltwd Heater Inlet hose Assm.

scurling
05-18-06, 10:46 PM
My heater hose split today after a minor punch of the gas pedal. I could smell A/F immediately.

Question: Does anyone know the purpose/function of the plastic reducer about midway back to the firewall. It is in the heater inlet hose (lower hose). It is black plastic with a slip-over fitting for the hose going to the firewall. The radiator side of the fitting has a factory compression fitting. Inside the plastic piece is a reduced core diameter, spring loaded to allow movement back and forth within the plastic housing.

The engine heat must have taken its toll on the plastic fitting, because it split right at the connection to the rubber hose spraying A/F onto the right side manifold. Luckily, I was only a couple of blocks from home.

The reducer w/ hose is a dealer item. I could omit the reducer, but don't know what affects I might see.

scurling
05-19-06, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, I've found replacement hoses, and I thought I'd pass on some info of my experiences. I think many of us will be replacing heater hoses eventyually, if we keep our rides long enough.

I posted a picture of the heater hose parts diagram from the dealers ProQuest Automotive database. Gee, I wish I had on-line access to that database!!

The pic. is at: http://members.cox.net/scurling/Valve_Assembly2.bmp
(I've identified the part items from the picture with their corresponding number in bold, below.)

I was looking for the reducer (or GM name "valve") at a number of parts stores. Come to find out it is available through the afterparket, but the hose assembly is not. The dealer sells the hose assembly which includes the reducer/valve. You can not buy the hose assembly without the reducer/valve from the dealer.

Valve (reducer) (12)PN: 10157988 GM LIST: $16.62
GMPartsDirect.com Price: $8.64

Valve Assembly (7)(hoses, valve, mounting bracket and all) PN: 10258504
List: $83.48
GMPartsDirect.com Price: $43.41 (nice savings)

Also, the additional hoses in the heater system, both inlet and outlet, are not cheap.. They are moulded hoses, but you could probably use standard hoses if you really wanted to.

Outlet coolant hose (1) upper: Gates PN: 19126 List: $70.63, Discounted cost: $39.20
Inlet heater hose (1) lower: Gates PN: 19128 List: $64.58, Discounted cost: $35.83

The curved moulded hose (10) is called the "T" to tank heater hose. It connects the "T" fitting to the bottom of the reservoir /fill tank. I did not but this hose and did not get a price on it, but it is available from local parts stores.

Hope this helps someone out.

scurling
05-24-06, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, I've found replacement hoses, and I thought I'd pass on some info of my experiences. I think many of us will be replacing heater hoses eventyually, if we keep our rides long enough.

I posted a picture of the heater hose parts diagram from the dealers ProQuest Automotive database. Gee, I wish I had on-line access to that database!!

The pic. is at: http://members.cox.net/scurling/Valve_Assembly2.bmp
(I've identified the part items from the picture with their corresponding number in bold, below.)

I was looking for the reducer (or GM name "valve") at a number of parts stores. Come to find out it is available through the afterparket, but the hose assembly is not. The dealer sells the hose assembly which includes the reducer/valve. You can not buy the hose assembly without the reducer/valve from the dealer.

Valve (reducer) (12)PN: 10157988 GM LIST: $16.62
GMPartsDirect.com Price: $8.64

Valve Assembly (7)(hoses, valve, mounting bracket and all) PN: 10258504
List: $83.48
GMPartsDirect.com Price: $43.41 (nice savings)

Also, the additional hoses in the heater system, both inlet and outlet, are not cheap.. They are moulded hoses, but you could probably use standard hoses if you really wanted to.

Outlet coolant hose (1) upper: Gates PN: 19126 List: $70.63, Discounted cost: $39.20
Inlet heater hose (1) lower: Gates PN: 19128 List: $64.58, Discounted cost: $35.83

The curved moulded hose (10) is called the "T" to tank heater hose. It connects the "T" fitting to the bottom of the reservoir /fill tank. I did not but this hose and did not get a price on it, but it is available from local parts stores.

Hope this helps someone out.

Got the Valve Assembly yesterday, and it comes complete with the moulded hose (10) from the "T" connector to the fluid reservoir bottom.
Also, the ACDelco PN is 15-5508