: '80 Coupe Deville-982 Miles!

brougham_geezer
05-18-06, 09:38 PM
Diesel, incredible car. Love that Yellow. Talk about mint condition... what a beaut, eh guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DIESEL-1980-CADILLAC-COUPE-DEVILLE-ONLY-982-MILES-DIESEL-L-K_W0QQitemZ4641776298QQcategoryZ6146QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

77CDV
05-18-06, 10:01 PM
The diesel engine probably accounts for the low mileage. They couldn't get it out of the shop long enough to drive it any more than that!

80Coupe
05-18-06, 10:06 PM
I don't know if I totally believe it. On my 80 Deville coupe, on the rear filler piece, it has a chrome strip that is on the filler piece that forms an inside corner. Looks like those may have been replaced and the chrome pieces not put on?? look at the pic of the rear emblem on trunk... you will see what I mean. Something is missing.

80Coupe
05-18-06, 10:09 PM
Here is the pic I am talking about. There should be a trim piece that was pop riveted to the filler piece.

77CDV
05-18-06, 10:17 PM
The fillers have been replaced, probably due to rot, with aftermarket units. Notice how the color and fin contour don't quite match.

Benzilla
05-18-06, 10:32 PM
How can you guys say anything bad about that car? she's f*cking gorgeus!!

Oh and about the chrome things on the bumper fillers, I've seen a lot of these cars that don't have them, my '83 dosn't have them, yet my '79 does, but I've never seen an '80 with them, I wonder why.

Night Wolf
05-19-06, 01:20 AM
I've just been blinded....

don't like the mustard interior...

if that car was even used the slightest bit as a daily driver, it would start to fall apart. It would have to be bought and then sit somewhere....

80Coupe
05-19-06, 09:05 AM
My 80 Coupe has the chrome trim on the filler pieces. I know, because I am in the process of replacing them and have to find someone that can pop rivet them back on.... Pain in the ass..... I'll post a pic once its done.

mharker
05-19-06, 09:48 AM
Perfect car. Even if it had a gas engine it would be a sin to drive it. I think the color is awesome. Did you see how white the carpet on the doors is?

$17800 buy it now price seems reasonable. Too bad I don't have a nice big garage in my backyard, and an extra $18K. You'd win all sorts of shows with that thing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-19-06, 09:52 AM
That would be a great museum piece, but a horrid daily driver.

KaddyKat
05-19-06, 02:56 PM
what a beauty, I think the fillers are original, time has faded and distorted them slightly. That interior color combo is tough, imagine a tan(saddle) instead. Love the woodgrain on the doors

Night Wolf
05-19-06, 03:28 PM
Perfect car. Even if it had a gas engine it would be a sin to drive it. I think the color is awesome. Did you see how white the carpet on the doors is?

$17800 buy it now price seems reasonable. Too bad I don't have a nice big garage in my backyard, and an extra $18K. You'd win all sorts of shows with that thing.

Yeah, tow it to the shows because every mile added on the odo is that much less... then leave it in the garage and never drive it, gotta keep the miles down...

No thanks, I'll prefer a car that is actually driven and used for what it was made to do.... an origanal car with slight chrome pitting and hairline cracks on lens' and slightly dulled paint is so much better to stare at and see that the car has been thru then one that was never used.

The filler panels on my '79 were all origanal and not cracked or damaged at all.

brougham
05-19-06, 03:42 PM
Wow it looks brand new. That's one of the best colours for those years. Too bad it's not a Fleetwood or it would be even nicer!! I'd never pay that much for it tho. That's just crazy. Here's another one that's the same colour:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-83-sun-yellow-4-door-Sedan-DeVille-nice-condition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6146QQitemZ46 11065490QQrdZ1

Sandy
05-19-06, 04:08 PM
I checked my 1980 brochure and yes, it's supposed to have a little chrome piece completing the trunk trim on that 1" of panel filler. The chrome piece is VERY curved.

Destroyer
05-19-06, 04:19 PM
Good hotrod material right there:thumbsup: . But not for that price.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-19-06, 04:21 PM
Boy would I ever be pissed if somebody bought that and turned it into a lowrider and totally destroyed all the car's charachter and dignity.

(Damnit I can't spell charachter!!)

Destroyer
05-19-06, 10:19 PM
Boy would I ever be pissed if somebody bought that and turned it into a lowrider and totally destroyed all the car's charachter and dignity.

(Damnit I can't spell charachter!!)You know I wouldn't go lowrider with it but the drivetrain, wheels/tires, suspension and brakes would have to be changed. The outside color is ok but the interior is horrible.

Frost
05-20-06, 04:41 AM
MONS PUBIS! That is one sano'd kinda car! I doubt it looked that good when it showed up at the dealership all those years ago,,,,,

limo
05-20-06, 10:08 AM
I like it. I don´t miss the chrome things, I miss $18K...
What was the transmission in such diesel cars? Because the diesel engine runs at lower RPM but with more torque, I think? Or was the final ratio modified?

luddyludwick
05-20-06, 07:43 PM
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade...but it is possible that there are 100,982 miles on the car. Just like my FWB has 174K, but looks like 74K due to the 5 character ODO. That said, it does look awfully clean...I don't think it's going anywhere fast, though...no pun intended...

Junkman
05-20-06, 11:14 PM
Give me 3 hours with any of the 70's cars and I can change the odometer to read anything you want in the thousands column. I could reset it back to all zero's if I wanted. It only requires a delicate touch and patience. I won't do it unless there was a good reason, and then I would only set it back to what the original odometer said, but it can be done. I remember a car that was owned by a dealer that was almost 30 years old. He drove that car with the speedometer disconnected for its entire life. When he sold it, people actually believed that it had 50 or so miles on it. The real way to know for certain is if the tires are all date matched and of the exactly correct tread pattern from the era. Usually they will change out 4 tires and leave the spare alone. I have seen this done and the "reason" they give is because the original tires were dry rotted. You can also check the oil filter, because the filter put on at the factory isn't the same as the filter that is sold as a replacement. GM has been doing this oil filter thing since 1960 that I know of, and possibly earlier. The original filters were black and the replacement were white, or blue, depending on when they were sold.

FRANKO
05-21-06, 12:46 AM
The chrome piece is missing! I purchased a new 1982 in Oct. of 1982 just because the new '83's were made CHEAPER...NO chrome back there!!! Also, I had my mind set for the 4.1 V-6 by Buick...put 187,000 miles on that sucker with NO problemos.

FRANKO

davesdeville
05-21-06, 04:26 AM
You can also check the oil filter, because the filter put on at the factory isn't the same as the filter that is sold as a replacement. GM has been doing this oil filter thing since 1960 that I know of, and possibly earlier. The original filters were black and the replacement were white, or blue, depending on when they were sold.

I would hope someone would've changed the oil once in 3 decades.

90Brougham350
05-21-06, 08:28 PM
I don't think this vehicle has 100,982 miles, look at the chrome around the grill and headlights doors. Unless someone replaced those pieces, the chrome there looks absolutely perfect, something only a few thousand miles of driving would change.

bicentennialcadillac
05-21-06, 08:57 PM
What a gorgeous car. Shame about that diesel ...

brougham_geezer
02-29-08, 03:56 PM
Well gang, this car has surfaced again. You might remember me posting about a car like this in my thread called "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Three CDV's in my Area."

After I hunted back and found this thread, it seems that this car is (small world, go figure!) the same one I saw this summer. A gentleman who lives about an hour from me bought it off ebay. He brought it to 2 old car events this summer, and I have got a good look at the car. Heard the diesel as well. The car is perfect. Brand spanking new in condition. He has driven it and put several thousand summer/highway miles on it.

The original ebay link at the beginning of this thread still exists, and the pics are still up. The owner is selling the car now and here's the link to a local classified site:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1980-Cadillac-Coupe-de-Ville-W0QQAdIdZ39520000

I can verify these are actual miles. Interesting car. Here's the thread with pictures I took this summer:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/122854-good-bad-ugly-three-coupe-devilles.html

Any arguments, or is this the same car? Anyone on here got the $18,500.00 "firm" to pick up a diesel? :hmm:

Junkman
02-29-08, 04:14 PM
Most of the diesels didn't make it much past the 25K mark before they started to have problems. Unless you are a very good diesel mechanic, and have the time and energy to seek out all the upgraded parts to make this a good engine for the next 100K miles, I would suggest passing on it. I have a friend that found an Oldsmobile with the same engine, and he is very well versed in diesel engine technology. It took almost a year to find all the upgrades to the engine that GM had made to make them a reliable car. Once he found all the parts, and did a complete rebuild, the car ran great. He put about 50K on the car before selling it on eBay. It was bought by a over seas buyer that just loves the big old Oldsmobile. It is unfortunate that this one mistake by GM has soured the American public on diesel engine cars. In Europe, that is all that you find now is diesel powered cars.

Cadillac_Fan
02-29-08, 04:30 PM
Brougham Geezer -

Good eye and great investigative work! From what I can tell, that is the identical car, with considerably more miles than the eBay representation. As much as I am a diehard GM fan, I noticed the atrocious "Adams Chevrolet" dealer decal on the trunk in both photo sets. Hmmm?

Wonder if anyone will call-out the eBay seller on this one? It sure looks like a funny odometer job. Plus, I am not too certain whether a "DIESEL" emblem was placed on the interior dash panel near the Cadillac script. Looks a little off.

It remains a beautiful, unique DeVille, but it would be a shame to see a slickster pass it off as something it isn't.

brougham_geezer
02-29-08, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the good vibes Cadillac fan, but I think there is some confusion. I wasn't saying this ebay auction was sketchy.

The auction ended quite a while ago. My point was that I found who bought the car off ebay, way back when, and that it ended up in my hometown. This is for sure the same car, and the guy is now selling it on a local classified site after a few thousand miles of diesel motoring! :bouncy:

So the question we discussed last year about "is this auction for real or an odometer adjustment?" has been answered. The auction was for real. The car NOW (after this owner) has several thousand miles. I think he even mentioned the 982 miles (from when he bought it on ebay) in his new classified.

CADDYCPEDEVILLE
03-02-08, 11:09 AM
What A Car!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love That Color I Have An 84 Cdv That Is Very Close To That One .. I Have A Yellow Top And Soft Yellow Seats... Mine Has 19k On It But Isnt As Nice Exterior But My Interior Is In The Same Condition...... Awesome Find..... I Havent Heard Anything Good About The Diesels As Well... From My Knowledge They Are A Gas Engine Block And Cause Of Fuel Problems Were Very Falty .... I Found An Eldorado With 10,000 Miles On A Diesel From The Original Owner And Guess What ??? It Didnt Work ...

My_favorite_Brougham
03-02-08, 02:36 PM
... I found an Eldorado with 10,000 miles on a Diesel from the original owner and guess what ??? It didnt work ...

The guy should have called in on his factory warranty when he had the time. As for the gas-block diesels, could you just revert them to gas?

Greg

1990CaddyBrougham
03-03-08, 06:15 PM
Id like to hear one of these run, and idle....

Must be odd to pull up to a gas station and ask the Petro Injection Official to fill er up with DIESEL....

I wonder how many gas attendents put gasoline in these cars, back in the day by mistake. lol... That must suck

brougham_geezer
03-03-08, 06:21 PM
Anthony, I can get you a video I took of this yellow particular one idling and driving around. Give me a day or two to find the time to upload it. :bouncy: I'll make a thread about it to give everyone an idea of how these things sound.

1990CaddyBrougham
03-03-08, 06:32 PM
NIce! Are they quite noisy? I dont know if i could rock one, whats the point of having a nice blig luxury Cadillac when it smells and is noisy? lol....

Im sure there are plenty of others who would love to hear and see this!
Thanks!

RocketFast321
03-03-08, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6qqBM57us8

DopeStar 156
03-03-08, 06:41 PM
Actually I've seen that same car on ebay a loooooooooooooong time ago. I think he wants something rediculous for it.....

ed209
04-20-08, 12:09 AM
my dark blue 82 has the chrome pieces on the fillers also

CoupeDeville83
05-02-08, 09:13 AM
There is no chrome trim on my fillers and they are both original - 83 coupe

CoupeDeville83
05-02-08, 09:24 AM
Further more, it is very hard to believe that this car is made up, I believe the 982 miles, simply because of the engine bay...no offense to anyone but no engine bay looks that perfect unless it is brand new, or COMPLETELY restored...just don't see who would take the time to restore this car to such perfection.