: DO we know what the best tires are yet for performance? I'm hearing T1 and Gsd3

Venomous-V
05-18-06, 10:24 PM
So i'm gonna kick this dead dog a bit more, Sorry! I also am doing the goodyear credit thing and just want the best performing tire. I dont care about runflat or not, I just want hop gone and same performance as F1. Great cornering ability and some straight line but to last longer! Toyo? GSD3? What about the pirelli p-zero nero m&s?
No need for long answers, just chime in with your opinion.

I JUST WANT A GOOD OVERALL TIRE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ace996
05-18-06, 11:07 PM
Performance?...easy...Falken Azenis 615. 9 out of 10 SCCA SoloII National Street-tire racers agree...

Rich H
05-18-06, 11:55 PM
Based upon everything I know and have experienced with this car in over 2 years, a tire with exceptional performance will likely also give you wheel hop due to the sticky tire compound. A harder compound will likely reduce wheel hop but be more likely to spin or slip on corners. Unfortunately this is a fact of life for this car in the way the independent rear suspension is tuned unless you do some mods. Of course you can always slip the clutch on hard launches to avoid wheel hop which is what I used to do when I had F1s mounted.

Barak
05-19-06, 02:00 AM
Performance?...easy...Falken Azenis 615. 9 out of 10 SCCA SoloII National Street-tire racers agree...

I'll second that.

Venomous-V
05-19-06, 01:52 PM
Anyone have more insight on the three i mentioned?

Luna.
05-19-06, 01:55 PM
Define "performing" tires. Straight line or turns?

PneuBird
05-19-06, 02:13 PM
I'll third that.......I just ordered 4 Falken Azenis 615 tires yesterday!! Solo II here I come!! :thumbsup:

Venomous-V
05-19-06, 02:13 PM
edit
(mostly cornering/ handling. Some straight line. I dont care if they spin off the line, i just dont want the hop and i dont want a wobbly squishhy floaty feeling when turning hard.)

Luna.
05-19-06, 02:21 PM
edit
(mostly cornering/ handling. Some straight line. I dont care if they spin off the line, i just dont want the hop and i dont want a wobbly squishhy floaty feeling when turning hard.)

In my opinion only...do NOT get the GSD3s then. I have a fairly brand new set of GSD3s collecting dust right now, as the sidewalls are very soft. The Falkens seem to have a much harder sidewall.

Venomous-V
05-19-06, 02:32 PM
Whats the down side about the falkens?

Luna.
05-19-06, 02:59 PM
Perhaps wear, but at $160/tire, it isn't prohibatively expensive to replace them. On the Vegas strip though, I can't get traction with ANYTHING... :lildevil:

ace996
05-19-06, 07:48 PM
Whats the down side about the falkens?

Downside? Your wallet will be heavier and...well, perhaps when autox season comes full-swing, and all the doubters see how badly they're getting spanked in the turns, they may be in short supply.

Really, the wear isn't bad on Falken Azenis tires if you're not competing on them. Even if you do, they'll still last longer than the F1s.

I often wonder what an F1 would be like if it had less siping...tread squirm would be reduced and heat wouldn't build-up as much...it would probably lead to a better handling/longer lasting tire. That's my dream tire...a shaved F1 that hasn't been cooked, it would be phenomenal. Until they make that tire, Azenis 615s all the way.

-ace

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-19-06, 08:14 PM
Go on the Tire rack site - assuming you're seeking an all season tire - check out the conti extreme contacts - see how they stack up versus your three choices.....I know, I doubted'em too but I very pleased with mine. Handling is damn good - no not F-1 razor sharp but a better ride - great in poor weather and much less wheel hop. For what it's worth, I noticed lower performance Conti tires are standard equipment on the 300C.

The only handling difference I notice is when I accelerate coming out of hard turms - but the enhanced confidence in rain, slush etc - is well worth it.

ace996
05-19-06, 08:18 PM
Performance in the snow = Extreme Contacts

Performance in the dry = Azenis 615

The sidewall of the Conti XContacts are very soft...very soft. I had them on my Audi Quattro, great snow tires...but not worth it for the dry.

-ace

JOEYCTS-V
05-19-06, 08:20 PM
Ace, how were the Falkens with wheel hop?

Venomous-V
05-19-06, 09:53 PM
So as i stand its a no on the GSD3,Toyo,and continental(no offense to anyone).
I'm still lookin at p-zero nero m&s, Falken 615 and mich P2.

ace996
05-19-06, 11:56 PM
Ace, how were the Falkens with wheel hop?

Never had them on the V...never had a chance...
My impressions are based on the experiences of my fellow autox instructors and multiple National Championship winning results from the SCCA SoloII National results. When guys will spend "anything" to drop thousandths of a second, and they choose the 615s...it kinda says something about the tire.

Also, I never had an issue with "hop" as I'm not a drag-racer or power-shifter. On the rare instance when I did shift "spiritedly", the Specter Werks bushings did their job. I can't recommend a tire based on "hop"...as stated before, any sticky tire will induce the possibility of wheel-hop...just the nature of the suspension's design.
-ace

ace996
05-20-06, 12:03 AM
I'm still lookin at p-zero nero m&s

M&S stands for ...MUD and SNOW. This is not a tire for "performance"...perhaps performance in very cold weather or in light snow, but not in the same class as the other choices mentioned.

Regarding the PS2:
I'd buy that tire if money was no object. It is a great handling/wearing tire, but is ridiculously expensive and doesn't perform better than the 615s in the dry. In the wet....its a better tire, but for pure "dry-road/make your passengers vomit from g-loading" cornering performance, the 615s can't be beat.

good luck,
ace

verbs
05-20-06, 12:06 AM
615s

DILLIGAF
05-20-06, 12:39 AM
I have the 615s,wheel hop is 80% gone,wear great,quiet,fine in rain regardless of what others that don't have them say.Nuff said

ace996
05-20-06, 01:14 AM
I have the 615s,fine in rain regardless of what others that don't have them say.Nuff said

Now..Now...I never said they weren't fine in the rain...:tisk:

I've touted Falkens since I used the 215s for several years, taking multiple street-tire wins. The 615s are the evolution of the 215s. And I've driven several students' vehicles with the tire...dry and wet. They are phenomenal.
Glad you like them.
-ace

V-Love
05-20-06, 08:47 AM
I'm running a Falken GRB FK451. What is the difference between that and the Falken Azenis 615??? The GRB's have been workin better than the F-1's for sure.

spdracer77
05-20-06, 05:24 PM
What tire to get for the rear on the Falken Azenis 615 brand? Would the 255 40 18 be good for the stock wheels?

ace996
05-20-06, 10:16 PM
What tire to get for the rear on the Falken Azenis 615 brand? Would the 255 40 18 be good for the stock wheels?

255/40s would be spectacular.

ace996
05-20-06, 10:19 PM
I'm running a Falken GRB FK451. What is the difference between that and the Falken Azenis 615??? The GRB's have been workin better than the F-1's for sure.

The 615s are barely street tires, meant for ultimate grip. They were designed for "street-tire" classes of various competitions, mainly SoloII...autox.

-ace

JOEYCTS-V
05-20-06, 10:26 PM
Will the 255 40's fit on the front or will they rub? If they do is it only on hard turns? I'd rather go with the same size all around so I can rotate them. I put a lot of highway miles on my car.

ace996
05-21-06, 04:57 PM
Will the 255 40's fit on the front or will they rub? If they do is it only on hard turns? I'd rather go with the same size all around so I can rotate them. I put a lot of highway miles on my car.

255/40 should be fine, several members have used that size with no problems.

MSJ
05-21-06, 09:39 PM
you might take a look at the new Falken 452's. Ive had them on my car for a couple of months and love them. I tried a tire, Dunlop Direzza's, that I got for $10 each from my Goodyear warranty when the stockers wore out. The Direzza's were a nice looking tire and did fine for me in a straight line, but the sidewalls were squish, squish, squish..bleh.

The 452's have a turn in very close to the stockers - nice and crisp. Wheel hop is greatly minimized and they are excellent in the rain. The tread pattern of the 452's are somewhat similiar to the Toyo T1-r's while I have found the 451's to be similiar in tread pattern to the Toyo T1's's and GSD3's.

mostoyzwinz
05-21-06, 10:42 PM
M&S stands for ...MUD and SNOW. This is not a tire for "performance"...perhaps performance in very cold weather or in light snow, but not in the same class as the other choices mentioned.

Regarding the PS2:
I'd buy that tire if money was no object. It is a great handling/wearing tire, but is ridiculously expensive and doesn't perform better than the 615s in the dry. In the wet....its a better tire, but for pure "dry-road/make your passengers vomit from g-loading" cornering performance, the 615s can't be beat.

good luck,
ace

The McD's bag came in handy for that today :annoyed:....twisty turny hilly CT back roads.
I can't make a suggestion on what to get, only what not to get.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/45 ZR18 96Y M&S...niether of which they work very well in. These run flats wheel hop at the slightest spin, especially in the rain. With a bone stock suspension (for now) the best I've gotten out out them on the g-meter is 0.96....before contact with a stationary object...:bang2: