: Thanks for your help, and goodbye to the 91 Brougham

stlcaddy
05-18-06, 09:32 PM
from a long-time lurker. I can't tell you how much I've learned from all of you on this board - a/c retrofit, exhaust issues (I chose the Flowmaster), throttle body cleaning, cat issues, 02 sensor help, etc.

After 9 good years of ownership, I still believe they just don't make them as well as these anymore, from the design to the mechanicals (and the deep blue paint!).

I'm selling for marital harmony reasons - the wife is ok with a power antenna that doesn't work, but a recent brake line failure (inexpensively replaced, by the way, at a local custom exhaust shop) was too concerning for her. Looks like I'm back to the gas hog Suburban for the time being.

Thanks again to the Caddy community here, and keep posting....

caddycruiser
05-18-06, 09:46 PM
That sucks--especially having to go back to a Suburban hog. Oh well, maybe you'll have another one day...

KaddyKat
05-19-06, 11:41 AM
from a long-time lurker. I can't tell you how much I've learned from all of you on this board - a/c retrofit, exhaust issues (I chose the Flowmaster), throttle body cleaning, cat issues, 02 sensor help, etc.

After 9 good years of ownership, I still believe they just don't make them as well as these anymore, from the design to the mechanicals (and the deep blue paint!).

I'm selling for marital harmony reasons - the wife is ok with a power antenna that doesn't work, but a recent brake line failure (inexpensively replaced, by the way, at a local custom exhaust shop) was too concerning for her. Looks like I'm back to the gas hog Suburban for the time being.

Thanks again to the Caddy community here, and keep posting....

maybe your getting rid of the wrong thing:2thumbs: just kidding

Destroyer
05-19-06, 05:22 PM

Thanks again to the Caddy community here, and keep posting....So when the Suburban needs an oil change you will dump that too?. Things break, no matter what the car. These seem to be minor issues, now if you said it needed some major work and did not want to sink the money into it, that would be understandable. Regardless, good luck.

stlcaddy
05-22-06, 05:38 PM
Of course not! I sunk plenty into the Caddy last summer when it was my daily driver - getting the A/C retrofitted to 134a, along with maintenance work on the engine, tranny, a Flowmaster muffler, high-flow catalytic converter, K&N air filter, aluminized exhaust pipe over the rear axle, straight pipe (goodbye resonator), hoses, belt, multiple fluids flushed, etc. And I only recently broke above the 70K miles mark.

It doesn't need any major reconditioning, just little annoying things like the power antenna that's broken, occasional speaker hiss, occasional flickering odometer, etc.

The only major work I'm looking to avoid is major work ON ME! The brake line failure was the last factor that tipped the scales, generally. I understand there is multiple redundancy re the brake lines and you could probably stop the car - eventually - with only a couple of lines, but I don't want to be the test case for that.

And there's no air bags. Most of my driving is 60+ mph in the country. It seems like we don't have fender benders around here, just fatalities.

So it depends on your comfort level, and your current driving requirements. My wife is more ready to dump a car when things go bad, but I tend to hold on a while (and I have held on for 9 years). But I am finally ready to let this one go.

Thanks for the comments.

Destroyer
05-22-06, 06:40 PM
You fixed the brakes right?. You could go through the whole brake system and do it right and not worry about it again. Hey I'm not trying to talk you out of selling your car, its your decision. I'm just telling you that you could fix it so that it is as dependable as it was cheaply. Far as a car crash is concerned I'd rather be in a FWB than most other cars. :thumbsup:

1990CaddyBrougham
05-29-06, 08:01 PM
Just to make sure as i jumped on the ban wagon late... you arent going to do anything drastic and like set the car on fire or anything.. right