: Battery Relocation

guyspat
05-17-06, 07:01 PM
Has anybody relocated their battery to the spare wheel well?

I have to believe that it might improve the handling marginally due to a change in the weight distribution. Other potential benefits should be a lower centre of gravity as well as better air circulation around the engine. All theoritical of course but isn't that part of the fun of mods?

SBONES
05-17-06, 08:55 PM
you have way to much time on your hands...:duck:

mlg
05-17-06, 09:47 PM
sounds good to me, my 92 mb 500e had the battery located in the trunk down low and on the passenger side wall this made for better wt distribution and a low center of gravity. the suspension was tuned by porsche and car assembled on the 959 assembly line. with so3s the car drove like on rails. relocation of a heavy chunk of a car definitely can pay off.

v-ape
05-18-06, 01:54 PM
Assuming the Caddy is 3800lbs and the battery is 52lbs (equations work out better), and 54/46 weight distribution....

Moving the battery from the front bumper to the rear bumper would change it to 52.6/47.4

I havent weighed my battery nor do I plan to. Also I didnt calculate the fact that its not on the front bumper, so just assume it will change it to 53/47.

Note: this is just 2min calculation so if anyone wants to give me real weights/distances, I can do a better job.
Adding another 200lbs to the trunk would make it 50/50. So for you mafiosos, thats ~1 body. Who says subwoofer boxes are bad :)

onebadcad
05-18-06, 02:40 PM
If you put the battery in the spare wheel well, where do you hide the NOS bottles?!?!:bouncy:

Barak
05-18-06, 03:45 PM
I've thought about doing this, and would like to eventually put a 51-series Optima in the spare wheel well right next to the nitrous bottle that it seems I will never get around to installing.

BeastMaster
05-18-06, 05:00 PM
Now if you were to fill the spare tire wheel well with cement - you may actually accomplish something :bouncy:

Tags63
05-20-06, 12:33 AM
BeastMaster..........

Now that's funny!! LOL's.

Actually I have moved my battery to the trunk on other vehicles but mostly to get more space in the engine bay even though it would help with the weight distribution but extremely minimal. Plus you would have to run 2 quite thick wires under the car & into the trunk. I doubt it's worth the effort in our V's.

Paul
Middle Island

ewill3rd
05-20-06, 08:37 AM
It would seem to me that if you are going to make a modification like that it should be more of a convenience issue than a performance one.
You'd have to use larger cable to make up for the distance from the battery to the starter and you'd be hacking some sheet metal to make it happen.
Basically you'd probably be adding more sprung weight to the vehicle.

Like someone said, you might as well just put some sandbags in the trunk if weight balance is what you are after. You'd probably be better off doing it that way rather than gutting your car to find ways to route some monster battery cables.
Not sure of the weight of the battery, I lift them all the time but I have never weighed one. They are heavy but I doubt they are 50 pounds.

Silver Baron
05-23-06, 04:58 PM
I did mine over the winter

Barak
05-23-06, 06:35 PM
One 2 gauge or even 4 gauge cable is all that would be needed to run the length of the car. It looks as though Silver Baron ran 4 gauge judging from the picture. If this is coupled with a 51 series Optima, as I've suggested, there should be a small weight savings of @ 10 pounds even with the extra cable. Relocating the battery to the spare tire area will also lower the CG of the vehicle and slightly improve weight distribution and polar moment of inertia. And besides, if the SRT-8's have it then it must be good!:bigroll:

mostoyzwinz
05-24-06, 10:28 PM
I did mine over the winter

Nice install.

StealthV
05-25-06, 12:56 AM
Moving the battery out of the engine compartment would free up a nice spot for the LS7's dry sump oil tank...

CadiBlk
09-26-08, 12:55 AM
bumpski, bringing this thread out of the dusty closet, I didn't want to start another battery thread.

I think my battery is going to die and it is my plan as not to dip too far into mod hell to far, I plan to upgrade parts as they fail on this car (rims when i need new tires, new flywheel and clutch when as my clutch dies, supercharger when my air filter needs replaced :stirpot:). I am also a fan of jobs that I can do myself, so while reading a couple of the numerous battery threads in the good ole archives I came across this battery relocation thread. I wouldn't be doing this for a better battery that has top terminals as I am fine with the replacement battery, so I would be doing it for the sake of doing the project and the minuscule other benefits (as stated in this thread, there might not be any). At the time of this thread only one guy chimed in as completing this task.

Anyone done this since this thread? If so, please post thoughts, pics, anything.

Would you guys laugh me out this forum if I did this? :crybaby:

Are there any negatives to doing this (I wouldn't want the battery to get warm and set fire to the frequent dead hookers in my trunk)?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
09-26-08, 01:11 AM
Although I haven't done this on my V, I have relocated the battery to the front of my Fiero and plan to relocate the one in my Talon to the rear hatch area. I think key points are ensuring you use thick enough gauge wire and finding a good place for your ground. Also, make sure its mounted in accordance with rules if you'll ever need to pass a thourough track inspection.

There are battery relocation kits available (box, tie downs, terminals, etc) through places like Summit.

stuckey
09-26-08, 12:38 PM
I would buy a carbon fiber battery if I was gonna delve off into something like this. It's a huge weight savings. You lose some CCA but I live in the heat of Alabama so not an issue for me. To make up the difference in distance and wire size I would suggest 0 gauge wire. Just from experience in car stereo. 4 ga. should be fine but might as well go a little farther with it and its really now that much bigger. Be sure to buy quality cable no matter what size you get. Purity of the copper wire and the more strands the better.

Washin
09-26-08, 03:49 PM
I also relocated my battery to the trunk. I was looking for additional space under the hood and better weight transfer for drag racing. In addition I was able to use a optimum deep cycle battery. I am fully satisfied and haven't seen any negative "side effects". :D

lollygagger8
09-26-08, 04:16 PM
If our batteries weigh 50 lbs, I must be He Man!! lol :showoff:

ichpen
09-26-08, 04:39 PM
Our batteries weigh in at 38 pounds. As an FYI. Anyone considering relocation should do so only for the purpose of opening up a much wider array of battery choices as non group 101 batteries that fit into the tiny tray are few and far between.

Also, any weight distribution is tiny in the overall scheme of things. Not to mention that running 6 feet of 0 or 2 gauge wire to the back will add the weight back on + some more.