: 15k Induction and Injector service???

L.Sanchez
05-17-06, 04:24 PM
I went and dropped my V off for an oil change and service and some other warranty related stuff and my service manager said that Cadillac recommended and 15k mile induction/injector service. Anyone know about this? Is this really needed? He wanted to charge me like $200 for it. Normally I wouldn't mind, but this one sounded like snake oil especially since I have the LPE intake on and every 4 or 5 tank fulls I pour a bottle of NOS octane booster / cleaner in the car.

Any opinions??

Ladis

Texan V
05-17-06, 04:32 PM
save your money...

Florian
05-17-06, 04:36 PM
do this instead...take your intake off your throttle body....clean the TB with a nice cleaner (I used rubbing alcohol). Next pour injector cleaner in your tank.

$4.00 later you have the same results.

Buy me a beer with the money saved....

F

Mat347
05-17-06, 04:41 PM
Complete BS! Ha...tell him you'll do it if he can guarantee it will make the V's idle 100% smooth.

My parents fell victim to "injector service"(without talking to me first) for a missing idle on a ~75k mile town car with the 4.6 V8. It did absolutely nothing for them. I'm not saying that injectors cannot get clogged, but it will take MANY more miles running crappy gas to do it. Just keep the good stuff going thru her, swapping gas companies is a good thing to do(6 month rotation should do it) to keep deposits down, change your fuel filter at the needed intervals..other than that, your injectors should outlast the car.

urbanski
05-17-06, 05:01 PM
$4 bottle of techron

Katech
05-17-06, 05:41 PM
I've personally done this service on many vehicles and it's worth it if the injectors are dirty. It's not worth it at 15,000 miles, but at 60,000-100,000+ miles I have seen (first hand) improvement. More than you would see with a pour-in cleaner.

nikon
05-17-06, 05:56 PM
I've personally done this service on many vehicles and it's worth it if the injectors are dirty. It's not worth it at 15,000 miles, but at 60,000-100,000+ miles I have seen (first hand) improvement. More than you would see with a pour-in cleaner.

ditto, when I used to work for a dealer I got all the stuff free...you wouldnt believe the markup, either way it really helped out my tahoe but it had has katech said 60000+ miles on it...but at 15k??? no way.

veloce
05-18-06, 11:24 AM
Save your money. I use BG 44k ,1 can everysix months.I have had no problems on my injected cars since my first one in 1978.

Barak
05-18-06, 03:42 PM
I agree with Katech, this is a worthwhile service on higher mileage cars. When done professionally (pouring a can in the gas tank is not professional), it can have an immediate impact on driveability, idle quality and detonation issues.

BadCad
05-18-06, 05:10 PM
LSanchez:
I'd love to know who that dealer is.... might be worthwhile to post that on the dealer ratings on Reed's FAQ site. Amazing how some try to rip off their customers.

Koooop
05-18-06, 05:29 PM
I went and dropped my V off for an oil change and service and some other warranty related stuff and my service manager said that Cadillac recommended and 15k mile induction/injector service. Anyone know about this? Is this really needed? He wanted to charge me like $200 for it. Normally I wouldn't mind, but this one sounded like snake oil especially since I have the LPE intake on and every 4 or 5 tank fulls I pour a bottle of NOS octane booster / cleaner in the car.

Any opinions??

Ladis

My regular service writer was off so the back up dude tried to sell the inductor/injector service for over $600:thepan: ! I laughed very loud right in his face and asked him if he was kidding! I suggested I would take it to the Corvette shop (two blocks away) and get it done for $80 if it needed it. I mean, who works on more LS6 cars? The Corvette shop or the Cadillac dealer...

My regular guy said "don't bother with it" so did The Corvette Shop.

Don't forget that most of those guys get a commission.

NORRISK66
05-18-06, 05:50 PM
the idea behind the 15k service is [I]preventitive[I] maintainence. it is not going to cure anything at 15k, but if done regularly carbon and varnishes will not have a chance to accumulate by the time the vehicle reaches higher mileages. once an engine does start accumulating deposits-one normal treatment will not fully remove all deposits (say when the vehicle has 100k on it).

Barak
05-18-06, 06:37 PM
15K is far too preventative. I'm sure the service writer isn't doing it every 15K miles on his car.