: Super Charger options

MStoehrer
05-17-06, 03:13 PM
So I was wondering what the big difference between the maggie super charger and pro charger was. I know a bunch of you guys have the maggie and it seems to be the super charger of choice for the V. looking at Cadillacfaqs.com I saw the option for the pro charger, but havenít found much info on it. Is the maggie that much better? And what is the cost of the pro charger and who sells it? Iíve been trying to figure out my next step with my V and keep coming back to the super charger option. What do you guys think?

ronr
05-17-06, 03:18 PM
Search the forum on pro charger. In general, the Maggie is available in a complete self installable kit. I think all pro charger installs have been custom installs. I have a maggie, installed it myself and think it's great!

Florian
05-17-06, 03:31 PM
Maggie is roots type....ProChager is Centrifugal...read more here: http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75131

F

Mat347
05-17-06, 03:55 PM
It really depends on your preference. The maggie comes in a complete kit and will give better low end performance with a drop off in the upper range. The procharger will give you a good midrange with a top end charge that just doesn't seem to stop pulling.

Personally, I would rather have the procharger. Unfortunately there are no kits(yet) and can only be custom installed by a speed shop. The procharger will also better compliment further mods like heads/cam/stroker.

The ultimate boost would come from twin turbos, followed by a screw type blower(kenne bell), then centrifugal(procharger) and finally the roots(maggie).

However, any form of boost will yield at least 100 extra HP and will make the V much more fun to drive. Keep in mind though, that most of these blowers will be limited by the Vs higher compression which doesn't like much more than ~10psi...the basic procharger P1sc can produce over 25psi.

Luna.
05-17-06, 04:01 PM
I believe the biggest benefit from the Maggie is how common/popular it is. One could argue that, as a result of such, more bugs have probably been worked out than with other systems.

While I do believe that other systems may yield more power, it's fairly easy to get the maggie to produce enough power for what our drivelines can take. :)

markbinkc
05-17-06, 05:01 PM
Just FYI, I'm thinking about selling the car, so the procharger "kit" may be for sale as well. I'll be taking the parts off and reverting it back to stock, so anyone who may be interested, make me an offer.

Mark

Florian
05-17-06, 05:43 PM
Mark,

After all that youve done, why sell?

F

markbinkc
05-17-06, 05:56 PM
Mark,

After all that youve done, why sell?

F

Short attention span, I guess. I go back and forth. I don't know yet if I'll sell it or not.

MStoehrer
05-17-06, 07:18 PM
well from what I've seen I like what the pro charger has to offer. I used to have a turbo car and miss the way that the boost felt. I seems from what people are saying the pro charger will mimic this the best. If you do end up selling your kit, I would be very interested.

DILLIGAF
05-17-06, 07:25 PM
You can't sell till I get a ride in it.I'll be in the big city in july for a couple of days but my weekends are opening up now.We might just need to set up a saturday and i'll drive down,do a couple pulls and have a beer somewhere.

V-SATX
05-17-06, 11:01 PM
Short attention span, I guess. I go back and forth. I don't know yet if I'll sell it or not.

Mark,

If you decide to sell e-mail me. I have a idea you may be interested in. PS how many miles since the stoker?

bpcsatx@satx.rr.com
:bouncy:

nikon
05-18-06, 07:20 AM
whats the going rate on the prochargers anyways??? My buddy just signed up with a wholesaler and gets em for around 4k

dannystang
05-18-06, 07:49 AM
whats the going rate on the prochargers anyways??? My buddy just signed up with a wholesaler and gets em for around 4k

Whos my new best friend in west palm...

I'll trade you a procharger for some high end ladies in miami...AND throw in Florian.

nikon
05-18-06, 08:12 AM
Whos my new best friend in west palm...

I'll trade you a procharger for some high end ladies in miami...AND throw in Florian.

shoot me an e-mail if you want anything, Ill forward you to him, he gets everything at cost...he set it up for himself to buy a lift kit cheap, so hes not really lookin to make money.......and ya, hes got some good hookups, hid kits for 150 shipped, I couldnt believe the prices he was tellin me.

obzidian
05-18-06, 10:39 AM
OMG, dont want to jump on the wagon but nikon, those prices are too sweet to not take advantage..

if your buddy is willing, then let me know for sure...

now, the popularity of the maggie is more based on the availability, easy of installation, the look, and becuz it was one of the first power adders besides NOS readily available that anyone can install in their garage. But, this shouldn't dicredit the power production of the maggie. It surges EARLY and makes you car feel like it has grow a few cubes. More like a bigger motor than a turbo type of surge. It will net you good power but it seems, with a few exceptions in vettes, where a 90mm tb and heads/cam were applied and more was achieve with the magnuson; your power is limited when compared to other forms of FI not too mention the aformentioned high compression of the stock ls6/ls2.

With the procharger you have practically no limit. Its powerband is very linear and ramps at redline with ease. The kit being used is a gto kit and its very duable in one's garage.. however, i believe you might need to permanantly modify the fender wells, for example, in order to route the intact inlet. However, you will achieve a high increase of power than the maggie at the same boost level and have no heat soak issues.

Its up to you, if you just want to bolt it on and forget about it and look oem, get the maggie, but if your intereted in furthering your power productivity, look custom and different/more appealing (IMO)... than go for the procharger...

good luck!!

MStoehrer
05-18-06, 10:45 AM
so it looks like I want a procharger now. the only problem is figureing out where to get one, and who can install it.

obzidian
05-18-06, 11:15 AM
markbinkc had his done very nicely and their kit includes just about everything you would need including fueling upgrades..

He has a link in his sig:

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCar.php?car=33

onebadcad
05-18-06, 11:31 AM
Maggie is ideal for stock motor and stock heads, and will get you close to 500RWHP, with stock heads and a mild cam swap. If you are looking to install a power adder to the LS6, Maggie is for you. Procharger is a whole different beast. First of all, I know of no cash and carry kits available-an one-off install will be very expensive and plan on 2-3 months install. If you go Procharger, plan on getting a stroker motor with forged internals, heads, cam, fuel pump, water pump, etc... and lowered compression of around 9:1, as then you can utilize the full potential of the Procharger. With that said, the Procharger requires serious modification, it is beyond extensive. The Procharger possess the potential to get you over 600RWHP, but plan on spending at least $20K to do it right. For $20K, you can explore other options such as a SC LS7, or a TT Kit. Of course, once you do any of the above, you need to look at getting the much-anticipated upgraded rear-end. The mods and options are never-ending on the V!!!

nikon
05-18-06, 11:43 AM
well, hope this is'nt against any rules but heres his e-mail address...tell him who you are and whatnot, and send a part# he'll get back to you....oh and this applies to any parts btw. including B&M shifters, which are way under all the advertised "specials" other guys offer.

laneyperformanceauto@gmail.com

Luna.
05-18-06, 11:47 AM
Maggie is ideal for stock motor and stock heads, and will get you close to 500RWHP, with stock heads and a mild cam swap. If you are looking to install a power adder to the LS6, Maggie is for you. Procharger is a whole different beast. First of all, I know of no cash and carry kits available-an one-off install will be very expensive and plan on 2-3 months install. If you go Procharger, plan on getting a stroker motor with forged internals, heads, cam, fuel pump, water pump, etc... and lowered compression of around 9:1, as then you can utilize the full potential of the Procharger. With that said, the Procharger requires serious modification, it is beyond extensive. The Procharger possess the potential to get you over 600RWHP, but plan on spending at least $20K to do it right. For $20K, you can explore other options such as a SC LS7, or a TT Kit. Of course, once you do any of the above, you need to look at getting the much-anticipated upgraded rear-end. The mods and options are never-ending on the V!!!

:yeah:

Further, as has been discussed as nausem on this forum, when you start going beyond the "normal" realm of hp/tq, the rest of the driveline now must be questioned, particularily the differential. Maggie by itself will probably be enough, to say nothing about a mild cam swap. Sure, if someone wants to go the "insane" route, go with the Procharger and smoke 'em all, but be prepared for a different, more expensive, and probably much more challenging route. :)

P-Funk
05-18-06, 02:02 PM
Does adding a Maggie affect/kill the the cars warrenty? :suspense:

stkshkr
05-18-06, 03:06 PM
Maybe, depends on the dealer. In most cases...YES

V-SATX
05-18-06, 03:16 PM
Does adding a Maggie affect/kill the the cars warrenty? :suspense:

They would have to prove that the Maggie was the source cause of failure to void a item covered under warranty.

Luna.
05-18-06, 04:01 PM
They would have to prove that the Maggie was the source cause of failure to void a item covered under warranty.

:yeah: Magnasun offers a ~$200 warranty that covers ~$5k for engine & ~$2k for the trans if that is a concern. That leaves the differential open though, which is perhaps the most feeble part of the car.

By law, however, the dealer has to prove that the modfication caused the failure in order to deny warranty coverage. This does not, however, stop dealers from being a PITA though...

StealthV
05-18-06, 06:17 PM
The Magnuson warranty is voided if one uses an aftermarket tune.

dannystang
05-18-06, 08:44 PM

Hey I finally see you on the forums!!!

BTW where the hell is Jamie hes been missing in action did he go on vacation?

Luna.
05-18-06, 09:28 PM
The Magnuson warranty is voided if one uses an aftermarket tune.

Aye. It just depends on how much one values the warranty I suppose.

Dennisscars
05-18-06, 09:38 PM
I think if one is worried about warranty one shouldn't open the hood or at least keep credit card in wallet.

The piston(s) poking out of the side of the block is a dead giveaway..

oh and peak early?... mine just peaks my arse in the seat early which is fine by me.. I get all my bimmer spanking done prior to the sunroof whistling..

faster than the sunroof whistle they don't give you a ticket, you go to jail.. (insert banjo music here..)