: Dash rattles

RacerVX
05-16-06, 06:52 PM
As the rest of the Houston members know, we have roads here that will punish the chassis of on an off-road truck.

I have two mettalic rattles in the dash. Each are in the area where the A-pillar meets the dashboard. They do not rattle all the time, which is making it very difficult for me to locate. They are only noisy around certain types of bumps in the road that create the right frequency. Anybody else experience this or know what they are?

TIA

Jschmank
05-16-06, 09:45 PM
I have heard rattles in the dash vents on bumps, and have a rattle around my shifter I can't find, but dont hear anything around the pillars

crypto_coyle79
05-17-06, 01:54 AM
As the rest of the Houston members know, we have roads here that will punish the chassis of on an off-road truck.

I have two mettalic rattles in the dash. Each are in the area where the A-pillar meets the dashboard. They do not rattle all the time, which is making it very difficult for me to locate. They are only noisy around certain types of bumps in the road that create the right frequency. Anybody else experience this or know what they are?

TIA

Ok, to start off with I have the same problem down to the spot and different kind of bumps and metal on metal. I have heard many different explanitions and dyno matted the A piller and tweeter. but after an hour with my service guy I am 99% sure we found where it is comming from, now the fix is a diff story. It's the hood on my car rattling and sending to noise to the cabin. Try making a fist and with the soft bottom (under the pinky)tap the top of the hood in the coner by the wind shield a few times and you should her a fimiler rattel. open the hood and look at the joints and the hrydrolics and thank GM for under engineering 1 more thing on our cars. its just 2 bolts that spin,,, lose plus a little shock. If you spray wd 40 on all 3 it will get almost fixed for a week or 2 ( or a good rain or wash ) or some hevey grease will last a little longer. Have not figured out a long term fix but when they realinged my hood it got a little better.

David W. Bailey
05-17-06, 06:17 AM
When I took off the run flats, most of my rattles stopped. I did have one in the same place that you describe, and it turned out to be a loose underdash access cover, directly under the steering column. If that cover is not screwed down tight, it sends a "bump activated" rattle to the area that you are indicating.

ctsvett
05-17-06, 03:28 PM
there is a TSB on the dash rattle from the driver side front... Some Tape needs to be applied... check the FAQ.

Reed

RacerVX
05-17-06, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like I have several things to check/try this weekend.

Jschmank
05-17-06, 09:19 PM
Reed
Not finding the TSB in the FAQ listing. Can you indicate the number or date please? Thanks much!

ctsvett
05-17-06, 09:50 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/06-08-49-005.pdf

Reed