: $1000 - $1600...What to do with it?

cmgrafmc
05-16-06, 06:49 PM
My Brougham has been giving me Hell since the day I bought it. The latest issues:

Driving to work often yields a Check Engine light. I'm crusing along and it seems to happen when I encounter a slight incline (or sometimes just freeway cruising) It's a code shared by a spiking alternator (which isn't the case) and an EGR problem. The EGR has been inspected and prounouced clean.

On a regular basis but not every time, starting from a stop sign or light results in stumbling or dying. If I let off the gas at the first sign of stumbling, the engine keeps working and I can, very slowly, ease on the gas to get me on my way. If I try to feed it more gas when it stumbles, it dies. This seems to happen after driving fast enough to engage OD.

My transmission produces a weird lugging feeilng when I come to a stop, like the gears aren't meshing properly and it's shifting late. Driving is no trouble, except for the above. I've had the TCC solenoid replaced twice to no avail. Have been told the clutch itself may be bad.

My question is: can the transmission problem be the cause of the other two problems? Could the transmission be locked in OD when I stop, so when I take off, it's like trying to take off in 3rd or 4th? I can hear it shifting from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 after it stumbles, so I'm thinking it's the converter clutch...

Or is it a fuel problem, like a carb or something? It's been pinging for a while now, when it never did before, even on regular gas. I'm running premium and it still pings but not as much.

So I have enough money for a beefed up, rebuilt transmission, OR I have enough to take a look at the fuel system, etc, but not both. Where do you think I should focus my energies? I've always appreciated everyone's advice.

Thanks

carnut
05-17-06, 02:41 PM
Assuming the TCC solenoids were not faulty to begin with, the other cause could be a faulty circuit to the brake light switch or the switch itself. In diagnostics you can verify TCC operation thru the status lights in the climate control head. They will turn off/on as the TCC engages or disengages. This is where the factory service manual is very important. Either you or the technician you choose to diagnose it MUST have this manual. The manual will walk you thru entering the proper parameter to monitor the status light. It will allow you to verify voltage at the proper times to the ECM and/or the solenoids ,switches etc. Sounds to me that "yes" the solenoids are working as designed but are not getting the grounding signal to release as the brake pedal is depressed. With a test light you can probe the brake light switches above the pedal to verify voltage pedal up/ pedal depressed. Also by putting your foot under the pedal and forcefully lifting your foot you can readjust the switch if it is fact misadjusted. You will hear a muted ratcheting type noise as the switch slides in its retainer. Hope this helps

cmgrafmc
05-17-06, 07:28 PM
Assuming the TCC solenoids were not faulty to begin with, the other cause could be a faulty circuit to the brake light switch or the switch itself. In diagnostics you can verify TCC operation thru the status lights in the climate control head. They will turn off/on as the TCC engages or disengages. This is where the factory service manual is very important. Either you or the technician you choose to diagnose it MUST have this manual. The manual will walk you thru entering the proper parameter to monitor the status light. It will allow you to verify voltage at the proper times to the ECM and/or the solenoids ,switches etc. Sounds to me that "yes" the solenoids are working as designed but are not getting the grounding signal to release as the brake pedal is depressed. With a test light you can probe the brake light switches above the pedal to verify voltage pedal up/ pedal depressed. Also by putting your foot under the pedal and forcefully lifting your foot you can readjust the switch if it is fact misadjusted. You will hear a muted ratcheting type noise as the switch slides in its retainer. Hope this helps

While driving, and OD is engaged, I tap on the brakes and can hear OD disengage. The switch seems to be working fine. Both a mechanic and trusted transmission shop have checked this, too.