: '94 Fltwd. Fuel Level Sensor

scurling
05-16-06, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have experience replacing (and PNs) the fuel level sensor?

Ok, so I'm working on this E85 fuel conversion,and if I'm going to change the original fuel pump then I'm definitely going to change the original inaccurate fuel level sensor.

My problem is I was at the local GM (Chevy) dealer today and they quoted me a price of $450.00. I looked at the parts guy and politely told him he was insane. He went in the back to discuss the issue with others. Came out and started looking for the fuel level sensor, not the "fuel sending unit".

Bottom line is I am told the level unit is not sold separately; I must buy the entire assembly. Naturally, I left without placing an order.

Does anyone have experience replacing (and PNs) the fuel level sensor?

BCs71
05-17-06, 12:56 PM
I have also heard in the past that the entire fuel in-tank assembly is one unit and sold together by GM.
Your best bet may be getting one from Dal:
Best GM parts source around for the best price!
Dal Slabaugh
email: lockitup @ bright.net or phone: 877-448-5451
Van Devere Pontiac-Buick

As far as working inside the fuel tank, I've done that three or so times for fuel pumps on B-bodies (same as Caddy).
Check this out:
http://www.badbodies.com/tech/fuelpumpinstall.htm

Let me know if you need any other info..... I can try to supplement from memory.

scurling
05-17-06, 05:39 PM
BC, thanks for the confirmation. I found Dal's site on the web. I will check it out. The previous owner of one of my '94s had the fuel level sensor changed when he purchased the car at a Newport News dealer. I may call him up to see if he still has the paperwork. He had it when I bought the car from him, but he didn't pass it on to me. The invoice should have PNs, etc.

Thanks for the badbodies site also. I've change the pump unit in my Olds '98 a few years back, but a refresher course is always helpful.