: arm rest

05-16-06, 05:44 PM
Hello, I have a 1980 coupe dev, I have a miniscule tear (split) starting on my arm rest,right where my elbow rests,it's so small if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even see it,anyone know of a product that would work to stop it spreading any more, it's probably vinyl. Tnx.

05-16-06, 10:53 PM
You think it is vinyl? Make sure if you try to fix it yourself. I would remove the armrest and the cover, if possible. Work the tear from the inside/underside, so long as the outside surface looks clean and the tear is not easily visible; otherwise, you could make the situation look worse. Removing the cover will also allow you to inspect the material for it's fabric makeup.

There are vinyl repair kits at parts stores, but I haven't used them myself. If the material is leather, I would take it to a leather repair shop that does upholstery. They will repair the tear, and you will not be able to see the repair. I had a deep scratch repaired in my rear seat where my son's shoe eyelet scraped across the leather. It cost $90.00, but the seat looks as good as new. They matched the dye color to a "T".

If the tear is almost undetectable to begin with, I think an upholstery shop
would do a great job, and offer the least risk of making the repair visible.

05-19-06, 02:50 PM
I've never seen a leather arm rest on these cars...vinyl, yes. As vinyl ages, the oils in it evaporate...vinyl hardens...then cracks. Repairing the crack will only result in an adjacent crack...eventually. Replacement is your best option. Try the Dealer. I do have some originals ...what level interior is it? Color?


05-19-06, 09:28 PM
I know the Brougham interiors have a leather top on the armreast (front and rear). The sides may be vinyl. Replacement may be the best option, but where does one find a nice looking, matching arm rest for a '80 Cadillac?