: Winter Tires

Darryl
05-16-06, 04:24 PM
After three months of letting my CTS-V sit while the snow and ice came and went, I would like to think about winter tires for next winter. Can anyone recommend a tire taht doesn't look like I'm going mudding?

Jon
05-16-06, 04:45 PM
I'm running Blizzaak LM22s in the winter. No problems last winter!

rand49er
05-16-06, 05:17 PM
Avon Tech 550 A/S here. Mounted them on Mille Miglias and worked GREAT!!!

V Amazed
05-16-06, 06:22 PM
i have dunlop wintersport m3s, but never had them mounted, as i bought them during snow season, apparently right after our snow here left...

From what I'm told, they are phenominal though. I'll let ya know next year if you dont already get some!

Ben

Ziplicon Tuesday
05-16-06, 07:01 PM
I have the continental extreme contact all-weather tires. I didn't want pure snow tires either. I'm quite happy with them - price wasn't too bad, handling is not as sharp but still damn good.....and the wheel hop (though I rarely do that) is significantly reduced.

Jschmank
05-16-06, 09:40 PM
I have the Dunlop M3 DSST runflats. They look great, and ran great. Didnt have much snow to test them in last winter, but I would say they will work great. go to tirerack.com for pricing and then get a price match from your favorite auto shop.

mike041357
05-16-06, 11:46 PM
Pirelli SnowSports here. I got them for about $160 each which is a heck-of-a-deal. Mounted on a set of Mille Miglia wheels and away we go. If you go the route of a spare set of wheels, better check Tire Rack to see how many of the Mille Miglia's they have left. Last I checked they were on clearance at $139/ea. My local Firestone (can you believe it) got me the wheels from TireRack for the same price (no shipping!) and added in the tires. 10% off with with first purchase at Firestone, too!

rand49er
05-17-06, 06:38 AM
... Mille Miglia's ... on clearance at $139/ea ...Wow! They were $179, so that's a great price! :eek:

Jon
05-17-06, 10:03 AM
By the way, since you wanted one that doesn't look like you're going mudding, I figured I'd show you what the LM22s look like.

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/V%20Pics/img_3833_std.jpg
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/V%20Pics/img_3855_std.jpg

Slapshot
05-17-06, 10:38 AM
Anybody try these: http://www.michelinman.ca/catalog/tires/MichelinPilotSportAS.html

Michelin Pilot Sport AS?

Blacksport350
05-17-06, 05:01 PM
Ditto on the LM22s, they are an excellent snow and more importantly, they perform great in the dry too for those nice winter days. :thumbsup:

BTW, I may have a set that was used one season if they don't sell with my car.

PneuBird
05-18-06, 11:42 AM
I used Dunlop M3 DSST wintersport tires for the past two winters. Great tires except they spin way too easy when I "Beat the Cubes." I keep forgeting they are a snow tire for some reason! :rolleyes:

Darryl
05-18-06, 05:01 PM
I would like to thank everyone for the help on this. I think the Blizzard LM 22's are the way I'm going to go. Jon, thanks for the photos.

A quick story about my run-flats: Last week I scheduled sevice for my V at 9,000 miles and asked the dealer to have his Goodyear guy in to look at the condition of my tires (worn out). He told me he'll have the guy there but the guy won't give anything for worn tires. After reading the posts in this forum, I contacted Goodyear, got a file number, went to the suggested Discount Tire in Ann Arbor, and got a credit for $1,150 on the worn tires. A couple of months ago I picked up four new stock wheels and four unmounted used (1,000 miles)run flats for $1,500. I thought I would put the used run flats on my wheels and put the LM 22's on the spare wheels, ready for winter. With any luck I can have tires for another year or two without anything else out of pocket.

BTW, the dealer is installing Corsa cat-backs as we speak. Can't wait to get it back.

azombie
05-18-06, 10:06 PM
I had a pair of Pirelli Nero M+S tires last winter in New England.

Although I pretty much keep the V off the road in any kind of bad conditions, I did manage to get myself stuck in a pickle one time and I will say that while the tires are not great in heavy snow, they do let you mildly steer unlike the stock runflats. They are pretty decent in wet conditions. I have put about 7K miles on them and they are still holding up very well. I will rotate them soon and am going to try to get them to last about 20 if possible.