: power seats

fleetwoodman12
05-16-06, 05:59 AM
My recliner went forward and now wont go back. it makes a noise when i hit the switch forward and nothin backward. any ideas. oh ya its a 96 fleetwood

BCs71
05-16-06, 02:28 PM
Nor really familiar with the number of motors under the seat, but my guess is the same motor moves the seat forward and backward. If you have one movement but not the other, and they really do operate on the same motor, then I would guess that the switch itself is bad in the 'backward' position.

Either that or if there is a separate wire for the "reverse" movement of the seat to the motor, then I guess the wire could be severed or damaged.

Good luck.

rvan800
05-16-06, 05:11 PM
One thing to check if you are adventurous is the screw mechanism that connects between the recliner motor and the seat back. The grease in mine hardened and would not allow the seat to recline. To get to it you have to remove the seat from the car and then remove the seat cover (I hate hog rings); just under the seat foam is the rod. You can remove it and clean the worm gear end in solvent and regrease it. I had to do this to both my front seats.

scurling
05-17-06, 12:25 AM
The recliner assembly is on the side of the seat. It has a motor assembly and gearbox. I've never opened it up; I'm describing the picture in the manual. It could be the gear box is jammed up if you moved the recliner all the way forward through it's range of motion. The recliner motor assembly bolts to the side of the seat. You may have to remove it to see if it's jammed up.

Junkman
05-17-06, 01:46 AM
try giving it a gentle wrap with a rubber mallet while engaging the switch. Sometimes this is enough to get it working again.

fleetwoodman12
05-17-06, 06:04 AM
I thought it might be the switch 2 but the memory switch on the door wont move it

MrSmith
07-11-06, 10:49 PM
how much do these switches cost. I have a 91 Deville and both front power seat switches are faulty. my driver side went all the way back when i had to vaccume, but it wont go forwards. the passenger will go forwards but wont go back.

Is there a way to take them apart and clean them?

do I have to get them from the dealers (these arent someting I want to chance at a junk yard.)