: '96 Fltwd. Rear View Mirror

scurling
05-15-06, 11:06 PM
I was looking through the '96 users manual, on line, and noticed the rear view mirror display shows the auto changing mirror with left and right map lights.

Does the mirror from the '96 really include those map lights?

I have the '94 and neither the manual nor auto adjusting night mirrors have the map lights. One of the critisisms I have with my '94 Fltwds. is no light in the center front seating area.

I would love to find a used mirror if they came with the lights.

For Sale
05-18-06, 03:26 PM
The 95 and 96 have the centre reading lights. I have a 94 and it does not have it.

scurling
05-18-06, 09:13 PM
For Sale:

Thanks for the info. I appeaciate it. I will be looking for one or two of the mirrors, second hand. As I mentioned, neither of my two '94s have that nice added touch.

Barrister_07101
09-11-06, 01:40 PM
I found one on ebay ... it seems that GENTEX (sp?) made it for GM and that some pontiacs had it too.

ocjmakaveli
09-12-06, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty sure almost any rearview mirror from GM will fit our caddys.

Might as well get one with compass too all you have to do is hook it up to the existing power wires coming from the headliner.

If you buy a rearview mirror from another caddy the existing plug will fit right into the new rearview mirror you get. Ebay is an excellent place for rearview mirrors.

96Fleetwood
09-12-06, 04:09 PM
Good call, I might get a compass rear view mirror :thumbsup:

N0DIH
09-12-06, 05:06 PM
I have one that has the dual lights but it doesn't have the electrochromatic or the compass. Hmmm, wonder if I can adapt the lights to my mirror....

BCs71
09-13-06, 03:57 PM
I have one that has the dual lights but it doesn't have the electrochromatic or the compass. Hmmm, wonder if I can adapt the lights to my mirror....

My 94 has the electrochromatic thingy so I bet you could just plug and play her right in once you find the mirror with that feature.

Wish my 96 Caprice had a compass and would read the outside temp. It has maplights and the electrochromatic dealy also -- but the other features would be nice.

One guy added a heads-up display from a Pontiac Grand Prix (to his Caprice) so the MPH is projected onto his windshield. That would be cool to have! But a lot of fabrication and you need to rip out a lot of parts from a donor car. Plus, with the giant digital numbers we already have the windshield MPH digits would be redundant.

N0DIH
09-13-06, 07:05 PM
I have the same mirror your FW has, but I also have another I picked up at a bonyard for a buck, from a early 90's Lumina or something has the dual lights in it, but that is it, manual mirror.

anyone ever figure out how to take a mirror apart?

ocjmakaveli
09-14-06, 02:02 PM
To be quite honest I don't think our cars need map lights the headliner lights have always been bright enough for me.

The caddy by far has the most interior lights I've seen on a car(of similar years). A few lincolns I've seen only have map lights but they lack interior lights.

I actually haven't seen a rearview mirror with map lights and compass.

If you can customize I'd put some map lights where the headliner center console is right behind the garage controller slot I'm pretty sure it would fit 2 small lights.

N0DIH
09-14-06, 02:18 PM
I love the light in the car, but the middle between the front seats is the area that lacks to me, when I want to read something it is very difficult.

It would be nice to have the compass, I really want that.

Maybe some hidden white LED's in the headliner that no one sees unless the door is open or interior lights turned on... Hmmm, I will get back to you on that one! I can make them dim slowly too.... Must be used with a controller, white LED's run hot internally.

davidrap
09-15-06, 08:41 AM
I am going to try to take one of these things apart.

I have a spare dimming compass mirror from a DeVille. I really like the map lights on my mirror in my FWB. I am planning on making 2 mirrors into one dimming, compass mirror with map lights. I know these already exist, buy why buy something when I can spend some time in the basement figuring it out.

I will post my results!..

Barrister_07101
09-15-06, 09:19 AM
Here is a mirror LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gentex-Rear-View-Mirror-w-Auto-Dim-Temp-Compass_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ015QQ itemZ250027445123QQrdZ1) that has it all ... though somehow the ball is out of its socket (I've had that before)

FRONT
http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/49/48/aa_1_b.JPG
BACK
http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/4c/05/43_1.JPG

N0DIH - You're a man after my own heart ... fabrication is great. Think about this ... a remote radar detector where the warning lights (i'm thinking small LEDs) are in the mirror. I've also seen universal mirrors with compasses, temp. gauges and small video screens for back up cameras. But I think something as simple as those blinking lights would be a great idea [hidden until they light up].