: 5-seater Brougham

90Brougham350
05-15-06, 11:56 PM
I've been toying with the idea of turning my Brougham into a 5-seater. I've been considering removing the front bench-seat and putting in two buckets from a newer Caddy, maybe a DeVille or something like that. I'd like to build a classy-looking center console between the seats out of maple or cherry, and stain it the same color as the trim. It would run from under the dash to either the back of the front seats, or all the way to the rear of the car, eliminating any leg room the middle rear passenger would have. I've never had more than 4 people in the Brougham, ever, and I'm not worried about passenger capacity in the future, but do you guys think this is a novel idea at all? Am I nuts? What seats should I be looking for?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-16-06, 01:37 AM
As stated earlier, I think its awesome! I never got the idea of a six seater. No one wants to sit center front! And barely anyone can fit center rear! True luxury, to me is 4 wide seats with full length center consoles with plenty of storage! Cadillac had it right in the '88-'90 STS's!

Destroyer
05-16-06, 09:55 AM
I've been toying with the idea of turning my Brougham into a 5-seater. I've been considering removing the front bench-seat and putting in two buckets from a newer Caddy, maybe a DeVille or something like that. I'd like to build a classy-looking center console between the seats out of maple or cherry, and stain it the same color as the trim. It would run from under the dash to either the back of the front seats, or all the way to the rear of the car, eliminating any leg room the middle rear passenger would have. I've never had more than 4 people in the Brougham, ever, and I'm not worried about passenger capacity in the future, but do you guys think this is a novel idea at all? Am I nuts? What seats should I be looking for?
Its an idea I have toyed with myself. Few obstacles though. For starters, the power seat switches on the door would not be functional. Then of course I'd have to figure out how to power the new power seats (almost all newer seats are power). Many of the newer seats have the seatbelts built in. I would get a center console from an STS or something and make the car floor shift. Thing about all this is that I do not want it all to look like a hack job, I'd rather leave it alone than do that.

N0DIH
05-16-06, 03:23 PM
Leather buckets from a Bonneville are seats of choice for the Impala SS guys....

Buick too, Rivi's got some nice seats.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-17-06, 12:09 AM
I can vouge for the SSE/SSEi seats! Sooo supportive! I haven't ever sat in a '95-'99 Riviera, but I know they put a looooot of time and effort into it!

90Brougham350
05-17-06, 12:38 AM
Hmmm, I'll look into it next time I'm at the yard. Does anyone know how difficult the front seats are to remove, either from the Brougham or from the Pontiac / Buick?

77CDV
05-17-06, 03:04 PM
Sounds like you're trying to recreate the 1974-1976 Fleetwood Talisman, which was a Fleetwood with a full-length center console, and a very 70s crushed velour interior. A neighbor of ours had one when I was growing up.

As far as removing the seats, d/c the lines for the power seat motors, then unbolt and remove. For a more stock look, you might use the 45/45 front seats from a 1977-1985 Fleetwood Series 75 formal limosine, although they don't recline. Have fun.

Craig

90Brougham350
05-17-06, 03:24 PM
Just a few bolts holding them in then huh? Sounds pretty easy. I'll post pics when I get to this project, probably in a few weeks. I'll see what I can find at the yunk yard, and go from there, anyone have interior pics of a Talisman?

77CDV
05-17-06, 04:16 PM
Just a few bolts holding them in then huh? Sounds pretty easy. I'll post pics when I get to this project, probably in a few weeks. I'll see what I can find at the yunk yard, and go from there, anyone have interior pics of a Talisman?

See the June, 2002, edition of Collectible Automobile magazine. Full article on the 1971-1976 full-size Cadillacs, including the Talisman.

Craig

PS: In reviewing the pics in that article, the console is not full-length. My bad.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-17-06, 06:30 PM
The console was full length in the 1974's. In '75 and '76, they made it a 5 seater with a conventional rear seat armrest.

1974 Talisman:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/74talintf.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/74talints.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/74talintr.jpg

90Brougham350
05-17-06, 10:33 PM
Oh wow, that's a lot of velvet! That's somewhat along the lines of what I want to do, but I want more wood showing, I like the nice stained wood-grain look. I want to go all the way to the bottom of the dash with it as well.

Bro-Ham
05-18-06, 01:17 AM
Hi,

The Eldorado Touring Coupe and Seville Elegante from the early 1980's both had some pretty nice full-size consoles. Those cars also had cool bucket seats. I'm sure Chad can post some pictures.

Also, below is a picture I saw on eBay of a Rolls-Royce with a custom console that has lots of pretty wood and also a locking cabinet housing two built in cocktail flasks and four "nip" glasses!

Have fun!

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-18-06, 11:36 AM
Oh you bet I can post some cool pictures...

'82 Seville Elegante:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/seville/82eleint.jpg

'82 Eldorado Touring Coupe:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/eldorado/82etcint.jpg

Here's my favorite though, '90 STS:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/seville/90stsint.jpg

Tuesday, at the junkyard, they had an '87 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Grande Edition, that had a pretty cool center console. It was locking with that same sort of combination device they use on briefcases, and when you opened the top up, you had a pair of cupholders built into the top for the rear passengers too!

davesdeville
05-19-06, 05:27 AM
Keeping it column shift? Would be easier but seems to defeat the purpose of the center console.

Here's an idea, get some rear vents from something that has them (my 95 has them) and build them into the center console. It wouldn't be too difficult to make them functional.

90Brougham350
05-21-06, 03:20 PM
That's a definate idea, it would be pretty unique to have rear vents in Brougham, and I think I could duct it pretty easily throug the center of the console from the front of the dash. I'd keep it column shifter for ease, I don't know if I'd be able to do a good enough job with a console shift myself.