: Another Brougham candidate - thoughts?

mharker
05-15-06, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone.

Sorry I keep posting every car I come across for opinions. But hey I guess if you clicked the thread you don't mind. I think I may have found the one.

-1990 Brougham, 5.0L, 200km, leather, sunroof, true wires, red

-Original owner, never winter driven, original engine and trans, all receipts,

-Engine burns a bit of oil and odometer flickers, owner says.

-Repainted 6 years ago by a shop "specializing in classics" according to owner

-Asking $4100 (cdn) incl emissions test

It's like 1.5 hour drive to check it out. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, except no 5.7 and km a little high. Do I sacrifice one owner/good condition/true wires for slow 307 car? After all, I can always burn rubber with my LT1 Roadmaster and the 472 has some get up and go.

I don't think he'll get his price due to mileage and no 5.7. Maybe $3K offer? Seemed eager to sell. Usual "someone coming by tomorrow" routine but he certainly wanted to take my number down just in case.

I won't sleep tonight. Damn Cadillac obsession disorder!

Spock
05-15-06, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone.

Sorry I keep posting every car I come across for opinions. But hey I guess if you clicked the thread you don't mind. I think I may have found the one.

It's like 1.5 hour drive to check it out. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, except no 5.7 and km a little high. Do I sacrifice one owner/good condition/true wires for slow 307 car? After all, I can always burn rubber with my LT1 Roadmaster and the 472 has some get up and go.

I don't think he'll get his price due to mileage and no 5.7. Maybe $3K offer? Seemed eager to sell. Usual "someone coming by tomorrow" routine but he certainly wanted to take my number down just in case.

I have purchased two Cadillacs, and 86 and an 88. In purchasing two, I saw over 13 Cadillacs in a span of four years.

My best advice is not to get so wound up, I ended up getting VERY disappointed on many occasions, with the owner asking way to bloody much.

Were I in your position, I would not pay more than 1500 dollars for that car, were it in Alberta. For that much money, I'd want no more than 120k kilometres and for it to be IMMACULATE.

Undercarriage is very important, rust on chrome is very important, things that are very expensive to fix. I don't mind painting or fixing small topical rust, I suppose it just matters how much you want to work on a car.

And remember what kind of car you are driving, how fast do you want to drive in a Cadillac? Especially one with as much class as these I drive accordingly. They're not small hatchbacks to whiz around town we cannot expect the same performance. There are other tradeoffs that we gain.

Sleep on it, and do not allow great expectations and enthusiasm to blind your logic.

mharker
05-15-06, 09:46 PM
Hey thanks always good to have online proteges to help me stay calm. Still want to check it out if I can though... if only for research.

BTW I am also a Gen 1 fan. Bollocks to Picard & all that Deep Space stuff.

77CDV
05-15-06, 09:57 PM
Spock has the right idea, but like you, I'd still go check the car out anyway. Whenever you look at any car, think of the most critical person you know, the one who could find fault with everything and anything, and then think like that person. Look for any imperfection, no matter how small and tally them in you mind. Use them as bargaining chips if you decide you want the car. Always be prepared to walk away. There are scads of these things out there, so there's no rush. Higher gas prices are only going to make them cheaper. Happy hunting!

Craig

90Brougham350
05-15-06, 10:28 PM
If it was re-painted, was it rusty before hand? Has the engine been maintained? True wire wheels are a plus. Don't worry about the digital dash flicker, all the 90-92's do that. I'd offer no more than 3000 CDN, if everything else is in immaculate condition.

mharker
05-15-06, 10:32 PM
Apparently never winter driven and rust checked every 2nd year. Owner went to FLA each winter and left it behind.

Why is it I never find a 90-92 with original paint? I prefer original paint cars. Gotta be some out there.

77CDV
05-15-06, 11:30 PM
You never find original paint because from about 1980 to 1994, auto paint job sucked. It was that whole switch to base coat/clear coat, it took them a while to get it right.

Spock
05-16-06, 12:45 AM
I have only one car that was given regular undercoating by the previous owner and it certainly is a night and day difference. One has such little rust while the other is shows some rusting on the underside of the rear bumper.

Definately take a look at any car that you want, that way you'll have a greater breadth of experience in selecting a good car and God willing find the one that is right for you.
I set a limit for driving myself though, I made a mistake and took a 5 hour road trip to see a Jeep. It ended up having: the wrong engine than what was said, had a rusted floor board, and in fact when it said "driveable", well let's just say that our definitions vary greatly. So now when I make a trip and I'm not so pleased with what I see, at least there wasn't a huge loss in time/gas/money.

Haha DS9 wasn't that good at all, perhaps only the last two seasons actually picked up...but we lost Jadzia!!! KHAAAAANNNNNNN!

brougham
05-16-06, 12:49 AM
Mine has original paint:tease:

Benzilla
05-16-06, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone.

Sounds like a great car, but if it was never driven in the winter then why should it start now? true wires are a big plus, if you ever get tired of them let me know :cool2:

You never find original paint because from about 1980 to 1994, auto paint job sucked. It was that whole switch to base coat/clear coat, it took them a while to get it right.

So does that mean my '79 has laquer or what? if so, isin't that easier to buff out than clear coat?

Oh, and my '90 Brougham has perfect original paint:p :bighead:

creeker
05-16-06, 09:44 PM
I have a 1980 coupe.dev. with original paint, 47,000 miles. anyway your getting good advice on not rushing in, I was looking for one of these before I
bought my 80 dev. they are not that easy to find,(lots of devilles around) and they hold their value,the true spoke wheels are expensive in themselves,
I would pay as much as $4000.oo for one. also if you like it,then buy it.there classic and will always hold their value.

creeker
05-16-06, 09:56 PM
back again, have you seen this 91 brougham, 90 -91 and 92 were confusing years,the 90 and 92 "broughams" looked the very same as a deville,only fancier,in 91 the same style was called a "cadillac,fleetwood sixty special"
in 1991 the "brougham" ( a style I dont like) I would describe as a battle ship out of water,with rounded bulbous fenders.why caddy did this I dont know.
better make sure it's the style you want.

Benzilla
05-16-06, 10:07 PM
Sorry, no. The Brougham was the only rear wheel drive offered and it was the same style as your Coupe untill '93. you must be thinking of the Fleetwood(FWD) :)

creeker
05-16-06, 10:22 PM
Hi Benzilla, this is where the cunfusion comes in, whenI said why did caddy do this?, I meant why did they call the deville look alike in 90 and 92 a brougham; and in 1991 a cadillac fleetwood sixty special,these three looked the same,and in 1991 the "brougham" did not look anything like the deville but
more like my description of a battleship, I am looking at a caddy book as I am typing this and I am correct.If I was better with computer stuff I could send you a picture, I belong to a local caddy club and when I was looking for one of these cars I was told about this confusion. I respect your comments but maybe you could check this out in a car book.

creeker
05-16-06, 10:55 PM
I looked up some pictures of 91 broughams and they do look like devilles, (time to eat crow) but I have concluded the description and photographs in my book are a misprint, it definetly shows a picture of the deville style with a description of fleetwood sixty special, and also shows the fleetwood as a
brougham, so I'm going to cop out on the bassis of a misprint, hey it takes a big man to, blah blah blah.

brougham
05-16-06, 10:57 PM
Hi Benzilla, this is where the cunfusion comes in, whenI said why did caddy do this?, I meant why did they call the deville look alike in 90 and 92 a brougham; and in 1991 a cadillac fleetwood sixty special,these three looked the same,and in 1991 the "brougham" did not look anything like the deville but
more like my description of a battleship, I am looking at a caddy book as I am typing this and I am correct.If I was better with computer stuff I could send you a picture, I belong to a local caddy club and when I was looking for one of these cars I was told about this confusion. I respect your comments but maybe you could check this out in a car book.

The book is wrong then. All 1990-1992 Broughams look the same. None of them look like a DeVille and none of them are called a Fleetwood sixty special.

creeker
05-16-06, 11:17 PM
Yeh,like you cant believe everything you read.

mharker
05-17-06, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Yes I agree I need to keep waiting until the right one comes along. So many more are available in spring though... there was hardly anything all winter.

I think the answer on this one is to give it a week or two and then go see it. Maybe he'll be realistic on price. You never know... guy could get frustrated and dump it cheap. Also I should get out there and drive the 307 steamship vs. the 5.7 to see the diff.

Funny, I held out for a perfect (90km) Roadmaster and on the Buick board I always tell shoppers take a pass, don't worry, there are tons of them, etc. But I find it hard to practice what I preach on these nice spring days!

Tomorrow is new auto trader day already... so there will probably be 1-2 new ones.

Spock
05-17-06, 02:14 PM
There was a 89 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance and the owner was asking $3500! When I went to go see it, the rear springs were shot, the drivers door had at least 3 inches of putty holding the corners together, he had actually bothered to store garbage...yes garbage in the trunk and the engine was leaking from every possible orafice. This was the time I only had the 86 and I was looking for parts, so I offered him 1000. He called me crazy and that I should go buy a neon...
A few years later, and it's still parked and no one has touched it. Perhaps I was lucky not to even get it for a thousand, I'm sure he would leap at it now. In reterospect, that car is probably worth 500 tops.

Winter is a good time to purchase a car. That way, you can say that the tires are bad for winter driving and it will be a cost you have to upgrade immediately, you can test the starter and its abilities, not to mention the obvious heating system. And if they are in fact desperate to sell the car, trying to sell it in the wintertime is hell, having to still register it, the same reason you want to buy a parka in the summertime. :stirpot:

ShadowLvr400
05-18-06, 08:56 AM
There's one just up the road from me, I can find out. The looks I've had of it just show some surface aesthetics. Little surface rust here and there, few minor dings.

Overall, slow down man. You're so hot for a caddy, you're looking at buying everything. Take a little time, you've got 2 cars, relax, and find a good deal on one. (Estate sales are a good place)

mharker
05-18-06, 02:43 PM
Hey everyone! Seller actually took the trouble to leave me a voice mail saying it was sold. Even though I never bothered to go see it!

Must have been a nice one to sell that quick. I'm tempted to call him back and ask if he doesn't mind sharing the price. Then we'll all know street price for a nice 5.0 with relatively high mileage.

Yeah shadowlvr you're right. Having money in the bank ready to buy stuff can be a dangerous thing. But I guess life could be worse...

(Re: the other cars. Took my 68 in today and told my tech I like to spend a few hundred per year on maintenance - could he recommend anything? Left with an oil change, tranny top up, and new wiper blades. Man you just can't spend anything on these cars even when you try!)

Spock
05-19-06, 02:05 AM
Adage - If it is not broken, do not fix it.

mharker
05-22-06, 01:59 PM
Hey fellas.

I asked seller if he didn't mind sharing selling price. Said he got $3800 cdn and felt he and buyer were both happy with the deal. Just a reminder from my original post here are the details:

Must have been a nice one to sell so quick. And I'm sure the wire wheels helped.

Benzilla
05-23-06, 01:08 PM
I just cleaned up a set of wires for my friend on his white-on-white '91 Brougham, and my god, those things a beautiful! I really need a set for my '83.