: CTS V's seemed plagued by problems

coreyvet
05-15-06, 05:34 PM
I own a 2006 Corvette which has been absolutely flawless. My other two Corvettes have been great as well. I've been intrigued by the CTS-V and have been considering a new one until I've read some of the horror stories on this forum. For some owners it sounds like it has been a piece of junk.

Comments? Anyone had a positive experience similar to my Corvettes?

Luna.
05-15-06, 05:39 PM
Check our most recent survey. There is some useful information included within.

blown65
05-15-06, 05:43 PM
Some have had issues, some havent. As for me, the only thing that has actually "broke" if you can call it that is the radio buttons chip off. I'm at nearly 20k miles with zero rearend issues or tranny probs besides the common hard to get into first and reverse.

Besides what I already knew from the test drive on day one till now its been a great car. That being said, there definitely have been ppl with many issues, but like all things, ppl with problems usually get talked about vs. those that dont are quiet.

ndogg ct
05-15-06, 05:47 PM
other than a few minor problems i love my v!!!
the tire issue would be one of the top on my list and it is more goodyear than caddys fault..only other problem would be the radiator which will be replaced
this week.i think my only real problem is the gm mechanics which imo don't have a clue at what they are doing half the time...
still no diff problem and a little over 9k now...
no the car isn't perfect,but who and what is??

CTS-BV
05-15-06, 05:51 PM
I just bought my 2004 V used, in April with 14k miles. I read others' posts about issues they've experienced and I haven't seen them, nor has the previous owner. I now have 20k on it.

My V's rearend whines a little and I intend to make use of the GM replacement for the 06 version and then add the appropriate anti-wheel hop kit to save it. After that, I really don't forsee any further rearend problems. If a wheel hop kit really works, that's really all you need. Afterall the rearends on the V's are very similar to ones found on the vettes (02-04) and they don't wheel hop, therefore, don't have problems breaking.

Forums like this make a lot of us feel better in that we can vent issues and resolve them just as fast.

Buy a V. It's like a 4 door Z06!

Brian

2004 CTS-V

chiro444
05-15-06, 06:02 PM
No real problems here:)

NoSlackCadillac
05-15-06, 06:17 PM
19,000 on my 2004 and no problems. I am a pretty calm driver on the street, but I have taken her to a couple of lapping days, a dozen or so autocross and even more trips down the quartermile.

The runflats wore quickly, but you won't find many V's wearing them now. Those that had them replaced them, and they are an option I imagine most people won't pick on the new ones.

Comparisons to corvette are common as they are cousins, but the two are quite different. I returned an 04 Z06 and took the V instead. At 20 I would have taken the vette, but at 35 I don't want to feel every bump in the road and I want to take kids with me. I only had the Z06 for a couple of days, so I can't make any long term comparison. I can say it was much more fun to launch than the V.

To answer your question... Yes they are many of us thrilled with the V and have had no problems. You'll find complaints about any car if you look. Even those who have had problems often say how much they enjoy the V.

Koooop
05-15-06, 06:25 PM
I'm on my 4th motor and 3rd trans in my Vette, it leaks water in the rain, it rattles and squeaks...

I had a leaking power steering hose in my V and a lot boy took my V out and beat the C R A P out of it so today it's getting a new clutch (the dealer is paying).

That's really about it so I can't complain about the V but I keep it stock where some of these guys may do some minor modifications :bigroll: that might contribute to some of the problems you've read about. I'm sure there are stockers that have trouble to.

The vette is 27 years old.

wildwhl
05-15-06, 06:35 PM
To be fair - I drive the CRAP out of my V. I powershift, speed shift, pull off 4.3 second 0-60's in the cold, keep turning up the boost and have installed AND removed more mods than most...she's still ticking.

Sure, I'm on the 3rd diff - but she's holding strong with well over 500 crank hp thrown at her, and the rest of the issues have been minor.

Dealer service on the other hand will keep me from buying another GM vehicle any time soon, even though I love my V and will be keeping her beside my recently acquired Evo.

WW

j/k on the Evo

VELOSE
05-15-06, 06:38 PM
I've been too lazy to post recently. In fact, I've been so lazy that I don't even finish reading the threads after the first post. I so happened to do both on this one. Maybe I'm just getting bored with my V. Not much to mod anymore. Not much to gripe about either since it's running well. I've only had one problem with my V, the battery. I have a little axle whine and the tranny is notchy but like someone said, "who or what is perfect?" :D

Oops, I have 19,700 miles and on the original diff. I've done two track days and the V is ready for more. ;)

dqw1
05-15-06, 06:46 PM
Coreyvet, you read the last survey yet? You asked a fair question and got a few answers already. There are some real issues that some owners have experienced, and I don't doubt those guys for second. Mine is a daily driver. Had the radiator replaced, got rid of the stock runflats and the shifter and it's all good now. Could the V be better? hell yeah. But it's much better than most POS cars I fly by everyday. The V has much more going for it than against it.
Let us know your impressions after you take a look at the survey. Hope to see you on our side.

BadCad
05-15-06, 07:22 PM
I have an '04 - no problems with the car but then I don't flog it either. Some have had problems, others haven't. I think the ones with problems may have been more vocal then the ones who haven't. On the other hand, I've known 'Vette owners who've had problems with theirs also, as have had owners of other performance cars. Hell, even 'normal car' drivers have had problems. I don't belief the V is more of a problem car then others. It sure is a whole lot more fun to drive then 99% of the cars out there...

P-Funk
05-15-06, 08:08 PM
I love my V. I haven't had any problems with it and I use it as a daily driver. I've only had it for 1200 miles but I've never had more fun with a car. I was deciding between a Vette and the V but the utility of have 4 doors and a backseat sealed the deal for the V. :thumbsup:

Mat347
05-15-06, 08:11 PM
Almost any car has problems, especially a new model. You got lucky with your Vettes IMO.

2004ctsv
05-15-06, 08:14 PM
Sniff Sniff

Do I smell a troll?

T

ajedwardsjr
05-15-06, 08:17 PM
A couple of people have said this - people post when they have problems. Nobody is going to post to say they haven't had any problems. What a boring post! I haven't had any problems, either. I have a 2005 V with about 6000 miles on it. I am concerned about the rapid tire wear on the run-flats, but I already know that Goodyear will take care of me. No other problems. Well, damn. I'm falling asleep just typing this. I'm boring!!

VDiddy
05-15-06, 08:18 PM
Boobs and Vs. Two things that have their imperfections but draw us like a moth to flame. If you like Vettes, drive a vette. If you want to have it all and deal with a few idiosyncracies, the V is for you. Kind of like dating a 9.5....

V-SATX
05-15-06, 08:27 PM
I think Reedís survey is truly an un-biased representation regarding satisfaction and many other ownership issues. I wish I had a reference point like this for all my past car purchase decisions.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/survey/results5.php

CVP33
05-15-06, 08:37 PM
2006 here, brilliant black with all options. Almost 11,000 miles and absolutely no issues. No leaking radiators, leaking transmissions, broken half shafts or rear differentials, no grinding gears, no peeling sun visors, no peeling NAV system, nothing.

Oh wait. We're you talking about my V's? Nevermind. :thepan:

mostoyzwinz
05-15-06, 09:44 PM
The survey says it all.

ace996
05-15-06, 10:16 PM
I just lemon-lawed my V...65 days in service in 12 months. Just bought a 2002 Magnacharged Z06 with 7238 miles....fell in love with the LS6 the first time around, had to have another.

Some have problems, some have many problems, some have none. Bottom line, diffs don't last and shifting issues abound. If you can live with those issues (and for the price of the V, I can't understand why someone would "live" with any issues) then it's a great car.

Mine drove me half-mad....with bliss and sorrow.

-ace

rand49er
05-15-06, 10:32 PM
IMHO, if you drive a car near its performance envelope for a high percentage of the time, you're going to see problems crop up more often.

Yeah, my runflats were toast at 15k, but I've had no other problems. :highfive:

diverdan
05-15-06, 10:53 PM
My V is a fun fast well balanced car. I miss the '02 Z06 I had, though, and will eventually go back to a vette (hopefully a C6 Z06) one day. For now, the V gives me plenty of thrills when I drive it and is way more practical than the Z. I've had a diff rebuild, trans replace, and nav replace all under warranty. The dealership I have dealt with has been very easy to deal with. For comparison, the Z was in for a diff rebuilt and a couple of electrical issues also under warranty.
A shifter upgrade is an almost necessity to really enjoying the car, the stock V one is total crap! It makes the stock Z one feel like a Swiss watch. It seems strange that the Z, with a more complicated linkage, would be better (not that it couldn't also be improved on as well).

1fstkde
05-15-06, 11:01 PM
love the v!!! only minor things..the good out weighs the bad!!!

Barak
05-16-06, 02:04 AM
I love my V and there currently is no other car for me since no other car with 4 doors is this much fun to drive. With that said however, I'm beginning to get the feeling that my V has more problems than a $50K car should. I'll list them and see if you agree.

From day one I've had a driver door panel rattle, a radiator cover under the hood that has never sat properly and a misadjusted parking brake that was fixed on the first service visit; not to mention the difficulty going into reverse(must put it in third gear first), but this seems to be on all V's. The first problem I had thereafter was a bad battery. This was followed by an airbag light caused by a sensor failure (possibly my fault, hit a pothole real hard), blown rear shock (possibly my fault, same pothole), steering wheel vibration and transmission whine (both dumbass Mark Christopher Cadillac's fault, when they installed the wheel hop bushing kit they didn't bother to index the driveshaft properly) and driver sun visor fabric peeling from under the homelink unit. Since then my diff has begun to whine, an oil leak from the rear main seal seems to be forming, I hear bushing squeaks from the rear cradle, rattles from the steering column area and sunroof and the driver sun visor is peeling yet again; not to mention that it is getting more and more difficult to get into reverse. My V has 12.5K miles. Draw your own conclusions, but I wouldn't want to drive anything else.

VELOSE
05-16-06, 12:27 PM
Barak, I can live with little things like bad visors and radiator covers. However, I also have the tranny problem you described. That's my current issue. I've come to think it's just the way the tranny is. Until it goes bad, I'll think differently. ;)

Kadonny
05-16-06, 12:38 PM
Well I'm probably the first 06 owner to have an engine replaced. 1900 miles on it. I have had the car for about 7 weeks, by the time the engine gets intstalled I will have had the car for about 9 weeks of which 3+ weeks it will have been in the shop.

All I have to say is one more week in the shop in the next 10 months and the car is a candidate for the lemon law. Not that I am going in that direction because I love the car, but it is a great thing to hold over the dealers and GMs head if needed.

Loadtoad
05-16-06, 01:39 PM
Bought mine 12 months ago and the only issue I had was defective out of round tires from the factory. Goodyear's problem, not GM's.

For the people who complain about tire wear, they should not buy a high performance car.

Davidstan
05-16-06, 01:53 PM
No probs here. I went from a 2002 T Bird to a 4 door vette and can say that the V has the T Bird in the fun dept. In fact i have never driven such a fun car ever and i have been thru many. If every make of car got driven like the average V you would see as many problems with those cars as well. This car begs to be driven in a spirited fashion where an Accord is not....case closed.

c4racer
05-16-06, 03:39 PM
To be fair - I drive the CRAP out of my V. I powershift, speed shift, pull off 4.3 second 0-60's in the cold, keep turning up the boost and have installed AND removed more mods than most...she's still ticking.

Sure, I'm on the 3rd diff - but she's holding strong with well over 500 crank hp thrown at her, and the rest of the issues have been minor.

Dealer service on the other hand will keep me from buying another GM vehicle any time soon, even though I love my V and will be keeping her beside my recently acquired Evo.

WW

j/k on the Evo

HA - you almost got me. I have an Evo in addition to the V!!
Quite the choice when I go out into the garage - lets see, do I want the comfy cruiser with V8 torque and brawn, or the ultra responsive AWD shredder with boooost today?

http://para.noid.org/~c4racer/evo/new/images/DSCN3178.JPG

Although to be honest, I will most likely swap the CTSV for a Vette of some sort since I have a nice comfy SUV cruiser as well. I've owned a couple vettes - C4 and C5 Z06. The CTSV is a great sedan, and a competent handling car, but it is no Corvette. Ultimate would be to have both. If I had to pick one car to do it all, it would be the CTSV. But if you already have another cruiser, the Vette makes a better compliment. It's all about stable harmony you know :eek: