: Engine Temp. Sensor

cadi197
05-15-06, 04:10 PM
Has anyone changed this sensor out? I know where it is located but I can't get my hand in there to unplug the electrical plug. I am trying to change this out because I am thinking it may be bad causing my low mpg. I have done just about everything I can think of to try to resolve my low mpg (plugs, wires, air intake sensor, ohm'd out my coils, pcv valve, fpr, etc...) and I am thinking that this sensor could be bad causing incorrect engine temp. readings and telling the computer to run rich. Any help would be appreciated.

Ranger
05-15-06, 08:43 PM
Any DTC's?

Tailfin
05-16-06, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing this is the 96 we're talking about? I think the sensor is easy to get to on the 89... But yeah if there are any trouble codes, it might indicate if the sensor's giving whacky readings or not. If not, might want to replace the thermostat.

cadi197
05-16-06, 03:28 PM
I'm guessing this is the 96 we're talking about? I think the sensor is easy to get to on the 89... But yeah if there are any trouble codes, it might indicate if the sensor's giving whacky readings or not. If not, might want to replace the thermostat.

Sorry, yes it is a '96 Deville. No trouble codes, and the thermostat was change last summer with all my hoses, and heater core. Gas mileage was the same last summer, so that wasn't the problem. Seems like my mileage will fluctuate alot with weather change, that is why I am thinking this sensor may be feeding wrong readings to the ECM cause my 13 mpg. Only other thing I can think of would be maybe O2 sensors or catylitic converter. This sensor is next cheapest in line and I bought it at cost before I quit O'Reilly's.

Tailfin
05-17-06, 06:42 AM
Hmm, well it's worth a look. If your root problem is mileage, then you want to check the EGR system as well. I can't give you exacts on that engine, but if you need them, someone here will be able to. I had a mileage problem I recently fixed with new injectors, but hopefully that's not your problem lol.

cadi197
05-17-06, 11:27 AM
Hmm, well it's worth a look. If your root problem is mileage, then you want to check the EGR system as well. I can't give you exacts on that engine, but if you need them, someone here will be able to. I had a mileage problem I recently fixed with new injectors, but hopefully that's not your problem lol.

I hope injectors aren't my prob. either. They seem to sound ok when listening to them with a long screwdriver. EGR valve was replaced about 2 years ago. It was sticking and I tried cleaning the carbon out and still had probs, so I just put a new one on. Temp. here in Ill. been aroun 50-65 deg last few days and gas mileage been going up a little. I am now around 13.7-14.2 mpg. When it was real cold I was getting around 12.8-13.1 and remembering the hot days 80+, I was getting around that 13 mpg mark. So I am thinking it is def. a temperature issue.

Tailfin
05-17-06, 12:08 PM
Temperatures can affect your mileage anyway. That does sound low, mind you, but it's possible you have another problem, and the temperature is just varying it slightly, which could happen anyway if it's cold enough, and it might otherwise be 16 & 17 instead of 12 & 13..(I'm picking numbers here).