: Forum General Reminders

ctsvett
05-15-06, 02:20 PM
A few things to keep in mind...

1. All for sale parts need to go into the classified section... They will now be deleted if posted in the forum (its just too messy)
2. IF you are a owner looking for a stock CTS-V part (say perhaps a CTS owner), post your request in THIS thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/74265-v-stuff-wanted-post-all-v.html Separate requests will now be deleted

3. PLEASE BE NICE TO NEWBIES... we are starting to get a reputation of being hard/ mean to the new guys... remember, they dont all know the jokes that everyone around here have been making for the past years.... Do not be mean or sarcastic... LETS MAKE EVERYONE FEEL WELCOME!

any issues, e-mail or PM me...

Reed

wildwhl
05-15-06, 03:55 PM
OK - I'll play nice. I was a noob at one time too.

Your best friends on this forum are:

Search
www.cadillacfaq.com
ctsvett aka Reed

fig32
05-16-06, 08:41 AM
Well I am a noob and just love all the warm, cuddly feelings around here. Maybe its time for a group hug :grouphug:

I feel better now!

crowan
05-16-06, 02:57 PM
I'll be nice, but I can't make any promises for E-Thug.

You can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him. :alchi:

CR

Lord Cadillac
05-16-06, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised that we're getting a reputation of being "hard/mean" to newcomers.. Why is that? Why would anyone NOT want to welcome people to the club with open arms? You have people with Corvettes who wave to each other on the road without knowing one another. Why would anyone want to shun people who have the same likes and interests is really beyond me...

dqw1
05-16-06, 07:02 PM
disturbs me when the first thing we tell a new person is to use the search or FAQ instead of just answering the question. You'd be suprised how many folks have never visited a forum before and simply don't know it's there, or the FAQ. These threads recirculate over and over. Just my thought.

wildwhl
05-16-06, 08:27 PM
dqw1-

Valid points. You're right, many of us have the answers and can simply share. I generally try to post the link to the specific page of the .faq, or to the search results.

WW

dqw1
05-16-06, 09:13 PM
I understand and I definetly like reading some of the things you bring to us, especially the jokes. I'm a rookie so I'm always trying to learn from everyone. I'd just like some our experts here to remember that there's alot that they can teach.

ctsvett
05-17-06, 03:04 AM
I dont think a welcome and a link to the FAQ is a bad thing, I just think we need to welcome people rather than scolding them for not looking onthe faq or searching first....

My point, not everyone gets the inside jokes like bunnies and the "relationship" between CVP and WW. Lets help answer questions if they are new, or direct people to the right place if it has been answered a million times (nobody can fault us if the answer exists). We DONT need 100 threads on the same subject, but WE (yes all of US) can be nicer about it...

Reed

GMLifer
05-18-06, 11:14 AM
Hey, I'm a noob. Old guy with a new CTS. This is a great forum. Like the info such as the 3.6L VVT DI announced today and mentioned by a member. I may be old, but, still into it. Don't race anymore but work as a scrutineer with SCCA. My Cadi dealer races a well prepped CTS-V. Also preparing a Colbalt for Showroom Stock Racing. Luv this stuff. Nothin' like a fully loaded car like my new Infared CTS. Reminds me of an old gal years ago, or was I dreamin' about that too. Pics to come someday. But first, have added exhaust tips and soon CTS-V grille and CAI to go with my Sat phone, nav, and XMRadio with Bose sounds. Coulda used it in my '57. Sorry, posted this to the wrong forum-s/b in the CTS forum. I'm still learnin'!

Barak
05-18-06, 10:12 PM
I personally like having the classifieds posted in the regular forum.

Joey'sVee
05-19-06, 06:47 PM
Is this a "why do we pick on newbies" thread or a "do you have a stock part that I need" thread?

If it's the later...

I need a CTS-V stock shifter and stock exhaust. I need to take my UUC shifter and Corsa exhaust out. If you have either one of these and want to get rid of them please PM me or send me an e-mail at jmed99@hotmail.com. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett
05-19-06, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised that we're getting a reputation of being "hard/mean" to newcomers.. Why is that?

thats a funny question when you consider the owner of the site has some sort of demon for an avatar and his subtitle is time2kill :bouncy: :highfive:

ajedwardsjr
05-26-06, 11:02 AM
I think it would be nice if the moderators had a rule that they would delete or edit out offensive language. There is no reason for stuff like that. Some sites even suspend or expel members who have used offensive language.

Luna.
05-28-06, 03:04 PM
Language that is "offensive" to some certainly isn't "offensive" to others. I haven't seen anything on this forum that was *that* bad. Hell, the moderators border on governing the forum too much right now...

ctsvett
05-30-06, 08:40 PM
From now on, all "meet" threads will be stuck 1-2 weeks prior to the meet date.... Please PM me (or urby) with a link to the thread to assure it happens in that timeframe.

Reed

rand49er
05-31-06, 06:55 AM
I like the attitude of being a bit patient with a newbie.

This is the first forum I'd ever seen let alone used and appreciate those that treated me as such back in January, 2005. Some of us came charging onto the seen (I see it occasionally) with a great deal of enthusiasm ... heck we're excited with this fantastic new car! ... and the old timers here mostly do a pretty good job of recognizing it and let those people sort of settle in. It's good reminder for us, Reed. Thanks.

P-Funk
05-31-06, 11:03 AM
I think it is important to remember that not all of the tools available to us are available to those that haven't signed in or joined yet; namely the search feature. So a newbie who may have looked over the forum before joining may not know that the search is available. Just something to keep in mind before making them seem like an idiot for not searching before posting.

ctsvett
06-02-06, 01:50 AM
for those of you who have the "tools" availabe and need better info on the mechanics and systems in the car, go here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/sm/ and E-mail me your forum name (ctsvett@verizon.net).

Reed

ajedwardsjr
06-05-06, 08:01 PM
I wonder if I could get away with calling Reed the same name that was used on me. I have complained to him about it, but he has done nothing. I just don't want to sink to the low level of some of the name callers on this board. But, I do wonder how Reed would feel? Would he let me continue to post? Probably not. Would he let the post sit there, unedited, undeleted? Probably not. I would just like him to treat me the same way that he would like to be treated.

ctsvett
06-06-06, 06:08 AM
what? Send me a PM or e-mail. I dont know what you are talking about...

Reed

urbanski
06-09-06, 07:14 PM
I wonder if I could get away with calling Reed the same name that was used on me. I have complained to him about it, but he has done nothing. I just don't want to sink to the low level of some of the name callers on this board. But, I do wonder how Reed would feel? Would he let me continue to post? Probably not. Would he let the post sit there, unedited, undeleted? Probably not. I would just like him to treat me the same way that he would like to be treated.
Instead of publically complaining, why didn't you PM a mod or admin?
Don't have enough posts to PM? Why didn't you e-mail ctsvett?
Why didn't you use the "report this post" feature?

Certainly there are ways of making "name calling" known to the mods in a timely fashion, while your public complaining after the fact accomplishes nothing.

wildwhl
06-12-06, 11:34 PM
urby -

you're a swell guy.

And Reed - a true gentlemen.

How's that for name calling?

Urby makes VALID points that any reasonable person can accept and follow. Nice, constructive tips and procedures.

Gotta love this place, save for that Reed arsehole :histeric:

WW

JAY WEST
06-15-06, 10:21 PM
I AM A NEW GUY AND HAPPENED UPON THIS SITE JUST BY SURFING AROUND, I HAVE BEEN INSULTED ABOUT THE WAY I WROTE SOMETHING AND ALSO MISUNDERSTOOD A JOKE, THE JOKE I APPOLOGIZED ABOUT THE WAY I RESPONDED, BUT THE INSULT ABOUT MY GRAMMAR, THATS CRAP. I HANDLED THAT THE WAY I WOULD ANYWHERE, I'M NOT KNOWN FOR BEING A CALM AND NON-PHYSICAL PERSON. IT IS FUNNY THAT IT WOULD NEED TO EVEN BE DISCUSSED TO BE NICE TO NEWCOMERS, WE ALL OBVIOUSLY LOVE OUR VEHICLES AND SOME OF US ARE NOT ABLE TO DROP ANOTHER 15K INTO THIS CAR RIGHT WHEN WE GET IT. THE ONLY WAY I CAN LEARN ABOUT MODS. THAT WORK AND BRANDS IS TO COME AND READ AND ASK. I THINK THIS IS HOW THESE WEB SITES STAY ONLINE, A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GREAT AND I GREATLY APPRIECIATE ALL THERE TIME. LAST, I BOUGHT THE V BECAUSE IT WASN'T A VEHICLE THAT STUCK UP PEOPLE DROVE, JUST AN ENTHUSIAST CAR. I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE FAQ SITE, I'M OFF TO THAT SITE. THANKS FOR THIS SITE AND THE COOL PEOPLE HELPING OTHERS.:thumbsup:

urbanski
06-16-06, 07:52 AM
I AM A NEW GUY AND HAPPENED UPON THIS SITE JUST BY SURFING AROUND, I HAVE BEEN INSULTED ABOUT THE WAY I WROTE SOMETHING AND ALSO MISUNDERSTOOD A JOKE, THE JOKE I APPOLOGIZED ABOUT THE WAY I RESPONDED, BUT THE INSULT ABOUT MY GRAMMAR, THATS CRAP.
caps lock off please

if anybody insults you, report the post, see my reply 22 above

wildwhl
06-17-06, 12:11 AM
Glad I had my ear plugs in.

Welcome Jay West.

;)

ajedwardsjr
06-17-06, 08:58 AM
Urbanski,

You asked me several questions. I'll answer them all:
1) I did not PM a moderator or administrator because at the time, I did not have enough posts to do so.
2) I did e-mail Ctsvett, but received no response.
3) I did use the "report this post" feature, but received no response.

Also, Urbanksi, you are very wrong about your last point. You claim that my "public complaining after the fact accomplishes nothing." But, it did accomplish something. It got me the response that I wanted, and the action that was required.

And finally, I am just wondering if you are not, in your post, publicly complaining about my post. Just wondering.

Back to the cars, I hope, for all of us.

urbanski
06-17-06, 09:19 AM
Urbanski,

You asked me several questions. I'll answer them all:
1) I did not PM a moderator or administrator because at the time, I did not have enough posts to do so.
2) I did e-mail Ctsvett, but received no response.
3) I did use the "report this post" feature, but received no response.

Also, Urbanksi, you are very wrong about your last point. You claim that my "public complaining after the fact accomplishes nothing." But, it did accomplish something. It got me the response that I wanted, and the action that was required.

And finally, I am just wondering if you are not, in your post, publicly complaining about my post. Just wondering.

Back to the cars, I hope, for all of us.
was the reported post in CTS or here in V? I don't recall getting the e-mail.
good point about getting action, guess you did accomplish something.

ctsvett
06-17-06, 03:08 PM
Everyone wants to air the dirty laundry, then fine...

I would hope that we can be big boys on this forum and not need to call our parents everytime we get our feelings hurt. Yes someone should not say something bad about you, but then sometimes those people are joking.

YOU NEED TO HAVE THICK SKIN AROUND HERE.... people joke all the time and on a forum it is very difficult to determine if someone is joking or serious. My suggestion is--> let it roll off your back the first time. I only like to get involved if someone says something seriously bad and offends LOTS of people (racial slurs, etc) or it bashing someone else. Other than that, if someone calls you a "dummie" or "doo doo head" , does a mod need to get involved or can you just let it roll off your back?

This is NOT directed at you art, its directed at EVERYONE Seriously, lets be adults.

Art,
I went back and looked at the exchange, etc... I think I addressed your concerns per our email convesation. I edited the thread and PMd the user telling them not to make those comments. Why you are still bitter about this, I dont know. To be honest, as my job gets busier and busier, I dont have time to deal with thousands of little requests like this (and its tougher to read EVERY thread). There is a "report" button on every post which then sends an e-mail notice to EVERY moderator. One of us will usually deal with it.

I am going to be honest! Did you expect me to ban him for his one comment? I hope we can put this behind us and then continue to deal with these issues NOT in the forum but via e-mail as I thought our issue was dealt with.

Respectfully,

Reed

CTS-V Racing
08-10-06, 12:05 PM
I am new to the forum and recently got a kick in the butt and closed thread from one of the moderators because I responded to a for sale thread (using the Search function) that was a year old. The reason that I did it is quite simple, I have been a Corvette Forum member for many years and on numerous occasions have done just that, responded to year old posts and found parts/accessories that I needed/wanted. Maybe Corvette people just hang onto parts longer when they don't sell, but you sure don't get the "why did you do that and closed thread from a moderator". A suggestion for all of us is that when people post items for sale, they finish the thread with a "SOLD" post to let other people know when it is sold. That is a friendly and professional way to help people as they use this forum. Using the "Search" function is a powerful tool that can help us all, without having to worry about the timeliness of a reply post.

I like this forum and I'm learning lots about this great car. With a Z06 and our new CTS-V in the garage, my wife and I don't have to fight over who drives what each day.:)