: 130mph??

1997 Cadillac SLS
05-14-06, 04:51 PM
Ive read on hear alot of people w/ '94 - '97 seville sls and sts say their car will go 130mph or 140mph!??

my '97 sls cuts off at 110mph or so?

how do yall go 130mph? :confused:

did yall do a mod or something, enlighten me please :bouncy:

JimD
05-14-06, 06:10 PM
Vehicle speed is limited by the PCM according to the speed rating of the OEM tires installed by GM/Cadillac. Look for the OEM tire speed rating on the tire information sticker (driver's door panel ?).

1997 Cadillac SLS
05-14-06, 06:25 PM
Vehicle speed is limited by the PCM according to the speed rating of the OEM tires installed by GM/Cadillac. Look for the OEM tire speed rating on the tire information sticker (driver's door panel ?).

thanks for responding so quickly....

the letter is "S" for front and rear

so what does "S" stand for, and is there any way to change the code in the comp. to make it go a little faster?

JimHare
05-14-06, 06:53 PM
S simply means that the tires ORIGINALLY placed on your car, at the factory, are 'speed rated' (a MFG thing, not a carmaker or Gov't thing) to 112 mph. Thus, the PCM on your car was tickled to limit the car's speed to that.

There is no practical way to increase that. Putting H or Z rated tires on will do nothing. The PCM would have to be reprogrammed by a dealer, and common knowledge seems to be that, unless YOU are the dealer, it will not be done. Liability issues.

Live with 112 or get a different car and check the door sticker.

Sorry, but that's the way it is. My ETC has H rateds from the factory, so I'm limited to around 130. The RARE Z-rated cars will hit 150.

Ranger
05-14-06, 09:20 PM
so what does "S" stand for?
Slow

Sorry, couldn't resist.

SL1CK
05-14-06, 09:43 PM
Haha, wow ranger I never see that type of comedy out of you. Haha.

CadillacSTS42005
05-14-06, 09:52 PM
Slow

Sorry, couldn't resist.

lol thats great ranger ha ha whats H W and Z stand for

1997 Cadillac SLS
05-14-06, 10:02 PM
yeah I know 110mph top speed is pretty slow, civics can blow past me on the beltway HAHAHA...oh well~

0to60n4.5
05-15-06, 08:00 PM
I ran my 2001 STS up to 120 mph the other day and it got there fairly easily , so I thought it would have a 140 mph capability . the next day when I gave it a whirl it cut out @ 130 mph . It would have done the 140 if allowed but not much more.

weister42
05-15-06, 10:15 PM
So if I give the dealer some money I can have them reprogram my PCM to have 130mph limit? My car cuts off at 112mph and I just got some Goodyear's rriple tread assurance tires are are rated H I think.

Night Wolf
05-15-06, 10:21 PM
ah... that '93 STS I was looking at here is Z rated.....

make some good time going back to NY...

WOTMODE
05-15-06, 11:52 PM
I've had my 95 sts pegged at the 150 mark. Your best bet is to get a vin# off of ebay from a car that was originally equipped with "z" tires. Go into a Caddy dealer, walk straight into the shop and look for the "cool" dude. Flip him a $50 and ask him to reprogram your car.

SL1CK
05-16-06, 12:09 AM
Feels good to have a Z rated caddy. 150+ mph for me.

Ranger
05-16-06, 12:02 PM
So if I give the dealer some money I can have them reprogram my PCM to have 130mph limit? My car cuts off at 112mph and I just got some Goodyear's rriple tread assurance tires are are rated H I think.
Not too likely Weister. Any trial lawyer reading this is salivating by now. I seriously doubt you'll find a dealer willing to take the liability risk for the few bucks he'd make doing it for you. Besides, were are you going to go 150 MPH around Stevens Point?

deabionni
05-16-06, 12:09 PM
Only the "Z rated" Caddys can hit speeds over 130MPH. Check your door sticker. If yours is "Z rated", then you have no speed limiter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/deabionni/DoorStickerSmall.jpg

Not that I'll ever hit those speeds in my car, but it sure is nice to know that I could. :)

JimHare
05-16-06, 04:08 PM
Slow

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Good one, Lar

Actually, the "S" probably stands for "Standard"...

The "H" is for "Hot Damn!"

and the "V" for "Vellcome to the County Jail, pretty boy..how about a shower with Rocky, Bruno, and Tyrone?"

or...

"Very nice of you to donate your Cadillac to the Policeman's Benevolent Fund Auction"

or

"Very sorry to have to tell you this, but your son was just....."

99.99% of drivers have absolutely no conception of the potential problems inherent in driving 150+ MPH in a stock automobile on American roadways these days. Please be careful, or Darwin will strike again.

Night Wolf
05-16-06, 08:44 PM
Good one, Lar

Actually, the "S" probably stands for "Standard"...

The "H" is for "Hot Damn!"

and the "V" for "Vellcome to the County Jail, pretty boy..how about a shower with Rocky, Bruno, and Tyrone?"

or...

"Very nice of you to donate your Cadillac to the Policeman's Benevolent Fund Auction"

or

"Very sorry to have to tell you this, but your son was just....."

99.99% of drivers have absolutely no conception of the potential problems inherent in driving 150+ MPH in a stock automobile on American roadways these days. Please be careful, or Darwin will strike again.

Any Z-rated Caddy with the proper tires will be perfectly fine at any of those speeds. It is the driver that can not handle the car..... not the car.

chazglenn3
05-16-06, 09:58 PM
Rick, the US highways were never designed for those speeds, either. In Europe they have roadways designed with ludicrous speeds in mind. So, the car could be able to handle the speed, and maybe even the driver, but not the roads. My brother was in the Air Force in the early '70s and they would close the runway on the weekend for racing...now that would be cool as your average drag strip ends shortly after a 1/4 mile and a runway can easily be 2-3 miles long. :burn:

Charles

thu
05-16-06, 10:32 PM
yeah I know 110mph top speed is pretty slow, civics can blow past me on the beltway HAHAHA...oh well~

That's why I got a 2003 STS. My 93 Deville wouldn't make it past 110. Sure was frustrating having those Dodge Neons run right past me.

JimHare
05-17-06, 07:20 AM
Any Z-rated Caddy with the proper tires will be perfectly fine at any of those speeds. It is the driver that can not handle the car..... not the car.

Rick, I know what you mean, but I stand by my point - even the most perfectly prepared and maintained car is subject to internal or external events which may cause a catastrophic failure. And even with the best drivers, you run a pretty good risk - just ask Jim Clark, Mark Donohue, Ayrton Senna, Gilles Villaneuve, Peter Revson, Bill Vukovich, James Dean, Dale Earnhart, etc etc etc.

My point was that at that speed, recovery from a problem is much more difficult than even at 90 or 100, the physics involved have much more impact, and the 99.99% of UNTRAINED drivers will meet their demise. Cadillac or not.

That being said, it still is fun to go fast..

Night Wolf
05-17-06, 10:56 AM
Rick, the US highways were never designed for those speeds, either. In Europe they have roadways designed with ludicrous speeds in mind. So, the car could be able to handle the speed, and maybe even the driver, but not the roads. My brother was in the Air Force in the early '70s and they would close the runway on the weekend for racing...now that would be cool as your average drag strip ends shortly after a 1/4 mile and a runway can easily be 2-3 miles long. :burn:

Charles

Thats not the question.

Someone said that anyone going that fast in a stock Caddy is bad... I said no, the car is perfectly capable of handling the speed with the correctly rated tires.

Also, I will differ with our highways... the majority of our interstates are very capable of a much higher speed limit then 65mph, we could raise the speed limit by atleast 20mph and still not come close to exceeding anything. Interstates have loooong strightaways and long, very smooth turns. With no cops, I could have set the cruise control at 100mph in the DeVille the whole trip from NY to FL and not even blinked.... actually, some of the time it was close to that....

and... yeah, runways are fun :). Ours was only 3,200' long..... bought 1/2 mile? It was a VFR airport, so unless the lights came on, we were good to go... the unwritten law was... no rubber on the tarmac... the airport owner had a handful of classics that he would run up and down the runway.... and we also had some fun in the new F-250/350 Powerstroke work trucks....... ahhh good times...

thu
05-17-06, 02:08 PM
Correct. Don't forget that not very long ago, Montana had no speed limit. People were regularly traveling at triple digits.

Later this month (May 27?) Texas will raise their speed limit to 80. Arizona is seriously considering going to 85. I'm sure other states will follow suit.

JimHare
05-17-06, 10:18 PM
Thats not the question.
Someone said that anyone going that fast in a stock Caddy is bad... I said no, the car is perfectly capable of handling the speed with the correctly rated tires.

Actually, Rick, I wrote that anyone going that fast in a stock automobile is at high risk - didn't mention Caddys specifically, which seems to have caused some confusion.

Yes, I'll agree, that against other cars, a Caddy is probably "safer" at high speeds than most (certainly not ALL, but most). I'd rather be doing 130 in a Caddy than 90 in a Camry.

And yes, MOST interstates can handle higher speeds than those that are now in effect - but that depends on where you're driving. I-80 going across Nebraska is a helluva different story than I-95 and the Cross Bronx Expressway.

But the point I was trying to make was the combination of Average American Driver, and Average American Car is horrendously unsafe at anything above 75 or so, most of the time. Cell phones, iPods, cheeseburgers, coffee, screaming kids, checking out the DVD playing on the NAV screen, etc etc all conspire to make highspeed driving less and less an exercise in concentration, and more and more an exercise in futility.

Those of us in states with annual vehicle inspections and/or mandatory insurance coverage get some small measure of protection against the rattletrap with two missing brake drums, no tail lights, and bald tires. Those of you in states with no required inspections must take an even greater risk, considering the condition of many cars I've seen in such places.

I sometimes look at it this way - at 150 miles an hour, you're coming up on that slightly buzzed, pissed off-at-his-girlfriend, 20-something in a 1985 Dodge Coronet with three bald tires might damn fast. What if he's not as good as you are?

CadillacSTS42005
05-18-06, 12:12 AM
I sometimes look at it this way - at 150 miles an hour, you're coming up on that slightly buzzed, pissed off-at-his-girlfriend, 20-something in a 1985 Dodge Coronet with three bald tires might damn fast. What if he's not as good as you are?

i say its his fault b/c if hes pissed and drunk he shouldnt be on the damn road especially in a heap like that. deadbeat needs to get off the road, get a job, and buy a better car.

Ranger
05-18-06, 10:57 AM
Yup, he'd be wrong, and you'd be dead right.

Night Wolf
05-18-06, 11:07 AM
Actually, Rick, I wrote that anyone going that fast in a stock automobile is at high risk - didn't mention Caddys specifically, which seems to have caused some confusion.

Yes, I'll agree, that against other cars, a Caddy is probably "safer" at high speeds than most (certainly not ALL, but most). I'd rather be doing 130 in a Caddy than 90 in a Camry.

And yes, MOST interstates can handle higher speeds than those that are now in effect - but that depends on where you're driving. I-80 going across Nebraska is a helluva different story than I-95 and the Cross Bronx Expressway.

But the point I was trying to make was the combination of Average American Driver, and Average American Car is horrendously unsafe at anything above 75 or so, most of the time. Cell phones, iPods, cheeseburgers, coffee, screaming kids, checking out the DVD playing on the NAV screen, etc etc all conspire to make highspeed driving less and less an exercise in concentration, and more and more an exercise in futility.

Those of us in states with annual vehicle inspections and/or mandatory insurance coverage get some small measure of protection against the rattletrap with two missing brake drums, no tail lights, and bald tires. Those of you in states with no required inspections must take an even greater risk, considering the condition of many cars I've seen in such places.

60 years ago the tought of traveling 70-80mph on interstates that didn't even exist was crazy.

But, ya'll make it sound like people DON'T already travel at 90mph+...

coming down to FL, the speed limit was 70 most the time... well, all thru South Carolina I had the cruise control on the Caddy set to 95. Why? Its a 3 lane highway and if I did 78 as I was, I was tired of getting passed by every single big rig, white haired old ladys in their Le Sabers and just about every one else... brought it up to 90-95 and all was smooth, there were no spontainous mega car pile ups.

Even here in FL, everyone does 80+ on the open highway.... really, its not a big deal. Of course thru mountain passes and stuff there will be exceptions, but for the most part, our highways can handle much higher speeds... it would also really lower congestion and allow people to travel faster.

Of course if they raise the limit to 80-90, people will be doing 100-110.... so I guess if they leave it where it is and aren't that strict with enforcing the limit, it does the same purpose... from what I have seen, on the highway if the speed limit is 70 and you are doing 80-85, and not weaving or being an idiot, the cops really don't care.

bongo78
05-18-06, 01:29 PM
Yep it's nice to have the ability. I used to live in Germany, where u can do as much as u can but is really sick :). A friend of mine did crash with over 120mph and the result was nearlly fatal. I just checked my door sticker and it's "Z" rated so what?

CadillacSTS42005
05-18-06, 01:53 PM
so you have no limiter you can go as fast until one of three things

1 wind resistance becomes to great
2 your engine blows up
3 you crash and die

STS 310
05-18-06, 07:59 PM
You forgot #4.

4 You generate 74 jigawatts to the flux capaciter and you llight the rode on fire and go back to the future......

STS 310
05-18-06, 08:02 PM
I just checked my door sticker and it's "Z" rated so what?

Well, now you get a pin, a t-shirt, dont forget the hat, and we throw you an ice cream party!!!:bouncy:

94CaddyConcours
05-20-06, 08:51 PM
If people have the shop manual would they know how to program the ECU or speed limiter?

Ranger
05-20-06, 09:01 PM
No. It takes a $3500 Tech II hand held computer.

CadillacSTS42005
05-20-06, 10:08 PM
ha ha and i know someone who does but i dont need it god bless factory z rating

Night Wolf
05-20-06, 10:33 PM
so you have no limiter you can go as fast until one of three things

1 wind resistance becomes to great
2 your engine blows up
3 you crash and die

Or reality:

Car will reach roughly 155mph under you hit the aerodynamic brick wall around 160mph.....

so, I guess that would be #1.

If the engine is in anywhere near proper tune, #2 will never happen, as the Northstar would rather be sitting at 155mph then in stopa nd go traffic. #3.... yeah, that would suck.

illumina
05-20-06, 11:58 PM
Option # 4: I don't wanna hear one more damn thing about gas prices from anyone advocating 130 mph+ speeds!!! :p

Night Wolf
05-21-06, 12:09 AM
Option # 4: I don't wanna hear one more damn thing about gas prices from anyone advocating 130 mph+ speeds!!! :p

the Coupe will return about 9MPG wide open around 110 right before the speed limiter kicks in at 112.... last time I checked... I should check again...

davesdeville
05-21-06, 04:25 AM
I still got 12mpg per the DIC traveling in excess of 150 in the ETC.

94CaddyConcours
05-21-06, 07:09 PM
I just notice mine is rated H, but the spare is M. What does M stand for?

EDBSO
05-21-06, 07:52 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/75220-can-i-use-laptop-seville-sls.html#post702817

Believe 1/2 of what you see and 10% of what you hear.

There are probably only 6 or 7 Cadillacs in the world that I would be comfortable in at anything over 120 MPH this would be one of them. http://infynyteon.iespana.es/cadillac.jpg

Ranger
05-21-06, 08:34 PM
I just notice mine is rated H, but the spare is M. What does M stand for?
"M" is the slowest max speed rating of 81 MPH.

1997 Cadillac SLS
05-21-06, 09:45 PM
theres alot of people saying they go 150mph...thats a little bit pushing the odds in a car

I had a '99 R1 a couple years ago and the fastest Ive gone was 173mph w/ a little left...and it was crazy fast..the reason I didnt push it harder was because the front end started to feel a little loose and had a slight wobble (no steering dampner)

I cant imagine doing 150mph in any car for longer than a couple of seconds....shi* Ive NEVER been about 130mph in a car

to get a car up to 150mph takes ALOT of space and to slow down takes a LOT of distance to do that

just be careful out there going 150mph!!!

1997 Cadillac SLS
05-21-06, 09:52 PM
Hey EDBSO, you said the Happiest day of life was selling V12 BMW850CI

just curious..why. Mechanically how was it!?? I have a friend that has a older 5 series and that thing is EXPENSIVE to fix

Those BMW 850 still look bad azz compared to new cars today...V12 WOOOAH! NICE

davesdeville
05-21-06, 10:39 PM
If you're going to do 150 in a car, these are the cars to do it in. Still relatively stable due to the weight. Yes it takes a lot of room to attain 150 and then to slow down again. Fortunately in NM I have plenty of room.

Night Wolf
05-22-06, 12:41 AM
Yup, if I was going to hit 150, it would either be a Corvette or a Caddy.

94CaddyConcours
05-22-06, 02:19 PM
"M" is the slowest max speed rating of 81 MPH.

That quite weird, 81MPH for a spare. Gotta love C adillac:worship:

JimLucky
05-22-06, 05:09 PM
I've had my 95 sts pegged at the 150 mark. Your best bet is to get a vin# off of ebay from a car that was originally equipped with "z" tires. Go into a Caddy dealer, walk straight into the shop and look for the "cool" dude. Flip him a $50 and ask him to reprogram your car.

:thumbsup: What where your RPMs at running at 150mph :bouncy:

EDBSO
05-22-06, 11:39 PM
Hey EDBSO, you said the Happiest day of life was selling V12 BMW850CI

just curious..why. Mechanically how was it!?? I have a friend that has a older 5 series and that thing is EXPENSIVE to fix

Those BMW 850 still look bad azz compared to new cars today...V12 WOOOAH! NICE

YES the styling holds up very well but OMG they are very expensive to keep on the road. Next to an 850 the Cadillac has no cooling or head problems at all. Ever drop $1,000 on just diagnosis? A new N* engine replacement barely covers 1/4 of the v12. And don't get me started on the rear ends, drive shaft or the electrical. Lets face it, to get the V12 to market they doubled every control for the inline 6. YES 2 batteries, 2 ecms, two coils, 2 sets of plug wires everything duplicated and do you think the left side communicates with the right???? NO but one side will shut off regularly and sync the throttle bodies. I can't count the number of items that have the labor specked at 24 hours YUCK!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/edbso/NewImage.jpg
They are not fast off the line but doing a "windows up test" from 50 mph takes hardly any time. The computer puts all windows up at 100mph. Haven't tested this on a N*. I can't even begin to tell you how many owners have taken over 2 years to cure at least temporarily a rough idle. Some dealerships simply turn you away because they are too complicated.
Would I get a M6? Only if it was on lease and under bumper to bumper warranty. I believe Top Gear broke 2 M6s testing them?
Everyone should have a V12 so they can say they experienced it all. Even if it only takes a month to wipe you out financially.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/edbso/stereo2.jpg

fristim
05-26-06, 06:42 PM
Actually to shed a lil more lite on the subject, any thing thats concidered a preformance model with the 300 hp north* will do about 130 or so. I.E. the deville concours, sevillle sts, eldorado touring coupe (ETC). The ETC is limited to 140 I believe, the concours 135 and the STS 140. Now the tires on these car are more agressive than the lower horsepower versions: Deville and Deville De'elgance, Seville SLS, Eldorado.

GreenWithEnvy
06-23-06, 09:29 PM
cAN'T you buy a programer Thing. Not to be confuzed with a engine Computer Checker And Take off The Top Speed

Kcryan
06-27-06, 09:00 PM
cAN'T you buy a programer Thing. Not to be confuzed with a engine Computer Checker And Take off The Top Speed

Yes, if you have >$3000 lying around....a normal code checker will not do...

Caddyshack100
06-27-06, 09:31 PM
You do not need to buy a $2700 Tech II to reprogram your car, a $1100 Genisys scan tool from OTC will do the job. You have to buy the GM software and this will set you back about 800 dollars, this will give you a years subscription to the SPO website. Even with the TECH2, you still need to go on that SPO website, a little expensive but with the subscription, you can do all kinds of things and not just reflashing ECM's. You can look at the programmers for a/c, all the things that caddy owners have on their cars.

Ranger
06-27-06, 10:02 PM
Make that $3859. How fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?
http://www.ntxtools.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=OTC-3628&OVRAW=tech%20II&OVKEY=tech%20ii&OVMTC=standard

CadillacSTS42005
06-29-06, 11:08 AM
you know the funny thing my boss at the muffler shop i work at has one of those haha

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-06, 01:31 PM
Hey, quick question,

What's the stock top speed on a 1997-05 Buick Park Avenue Ultra or a '95-'99 Riviera? I thought it was 130 but I'm not positive? Is it the same for all the Supercharged 3800's?