: gsd3's or rsa runflats??

ndogg ct
05-14-06, 04:18 PM
i know this has probably been killed on and on,but figured there wher some new opinions maybe after a few miles have been put on? i am planning on going to goodyear tommorow because 2 of my tires are almost gone and the other 2 are on they're way out at only (9k)..shoot me your opinions on these tires..
also is there a specific # to call goodyear and what should i say to them??
thanks guys!!

TampaV
05-14-06, 07:18 PM
i know this has probably been killed on and on,but figured there wher some new opinions maybe after a few miles have been put on? i am planning on going to goodyear tommorow because 2 of my tires are almost gone and the other 2 are on they're way out at only (9k)..shoot me your opinions on these tires..
also is there a specific # to call goodyear and what should i say to them??
thanks guys!!

Go to the Goodyear Tire Warranty? thread on page 4 and read it. I just did this last week and it worked out great. It ended up costing me $61.87 out the door with Road Hazard Warranty on 4 new GS-D3's. I got a spare wheel out of the deal too, because they screwed up one of my stock rims during the un-mounting/mounting process. They bought me a new wheel from Cadillac.

The number you need to call for Goodyear Customer Service is (800) 321-2136. Just tell them your tires are worn out at x,xxx miles and they'll give you a file number. Go to the Goodyear dealer with the file number and they'll do the rest. I tried to stay very professional and they took real good care of me. I really like the GS-D3's so far. I prefer the ride over the F1 Supercar EMT's.

Good luck.

cjones
05-14-06, 08:43 PM
GS-D3's could be made of teflon and would likely stick to the road better than RS-As. I just ditched a set for some Pirelli Rosso's and the difference was huge.

ndogg ct
05-14-06, 09:07 PM
it's going to be hard to ditch the runflats and go with a a spare although i do have 4 millies with tires??was hoping to do a sub in the open spare tire well,but don't want to compromise handling...

Art138
05-14-06, 09:19 PM
I have a 1 inch round bald spot of the left rear with only 4300 miles on the 05. Discovered while rotating the wheels today. I plan to call tomorrow; are the GS-D3's runflats?

Jschmank
05-14-06, 10:39 PM
I am running the RSA runflats and have no complaints. In fact I like them better than the runflats cause they spin a bit more and have less wheel hop. I have had them in the rain too with no issues. I dont think the GS D3's are runflats, but most that have them seem pretty happy with them

atdeneve
05-14-06, 10:46 PM
I believe the GS-D3s do come in a runflat, but I think they're even more expensive than the F1, if that's at all possible.

SBONES
05-15-06, 10:20 AM
is goodyear still offering a creadit...if your runflats are shot....someone said that if you take them to a goodyr dealer...they might offer a creadit torwd new ones...and how much are the gsd3's....they were like 200 a tire...i heard 250 now.

TampaV
05-15-06, 10:34 AM
is goodyear still offering a creadit...if your runflats are shot....someone said that if you take them to a goodyr dealer...they might offer a creadit torwd new ones...and how much are the gsd3's....they were like 200 a tire...i heard 250 now.

Read my post above and the post called "Goodyear Tire Warranty?" on about page 4 or 5.

SBONES
05-15-06, 10:43 AM
ya i didnt read up...i need new tires...and my old ones are just sitting here.

ndogg ct
05-15-06, 03:23 PM
just got back from goodyear and they said that i would have top pay $650 out the door for a replacement set of f1's.i then asked what the price would ne on either the rsa's or the gsd3's and they stated about the same.naybe $20 cheaper???i really don't think it makes sense,but oh well at least i got some discount..now do i get the f1's which everyone has horrible luck or 1 of the other 2???does dunlpop make a good runflat tire??help don't know what to do:alchi:

Kadonny
05-15-06, 04:10 PM
just got back from goodyear and they said that i would have top pay $650 out the door for a replacement set of f1's.i then asked what the price would ne on either the rsa's or the gsd3's and they stated about the same.naybe $20 cheaper???i really don't think it makes sense,but oh well at least i got some discount..now do i get the f1's which everyone has horrible luck or 1 of the other 2???does dunlpop make a good runflat tire??help don't know what to do:alchi:

Get the RSAs. The GSD3 is a great tire, but not a runflat and I hear it still does not handle like the supercars.

The RSA is a good tire that will handle well in all weather but not give up a lot of dry performance, plus it is still a runflat. They are OE on 06 cars.

ndogg ct
05-15-06, 04:18 PM
have heard some bad about the rsa's that's why i am leaning toiward the g3's?someone else change my mind....imo the rsa's just don't seem like a tire to put on this type of car??
the rsa's would be nice becaus ei can sell my millies as a set if someone is interested they have brand new bf kdw2's..

GAGS-V
05-15-06, 10:42 PM
Get the RSA's but make sure they are the EMT (run flat). They ride so much better than my original f1's and it looks like I will get many more miles out of them. Once again get the RSA's but make sure you don't get the regular ones, make sure they are EMT.

NIK
05-16-06, 09:06 AM
Get the RSA's but make sure they are the EMT (run flat). They ride so much better than my original f1's and it looks like I will get many more miles out of them. Once again get the RSA's but make sure you don't get the regular ones, make sure they are EMT.

Like he said - the EMT's have much stiffer sidewalls than the regular RS-A's. As far as performance goes, in some cases they are actually better than the F-1's. Case in point - in cold weather (even when dry) the F-1's SUCK! In wet weather, ditto! Snow? Fuggedaboutit! In my opinion, if you plan to track your "V" or constantly go over 150 MPH, then by all means get or keep your F-1's and plan to get new ones every 10 - 15,000 miles or so. As for me, I took advantage of Goodyear's deal and put on a set of RSA runflats at 9800 miles ..... I couldn't be happier (and BTW, the wheel hop is now a virtual non-factor.)

ndogg ct
05-16-06, 10:15 AM
nik if you don't mind me asking what did the rsa's run you out the door because my mileage is about the same a s yours..thanks!!

NIK
05-16-06, 02:28 PM
nik if you don't mind me asking what did the rsa's run you out the door because my mileage is about the same a s yours..thanks!!

I received a $200.00 per tire credit and the RSA's retailed at $271.00 per tire for a net cost to me for the tires of $284.00 ..... I believe they stuck it to me for mounting and balancing ($118.00), but they were pretty good with my wheels and the balancing is flawless; no shimmies or shakes, so I was pleased to pay a total of $389.00 for a brand-new set of run-flats.

cjones
05-16-06, 05:48 PM
Let me reiterate how bad the RS-As are. There is no steering feel with them. I felt like I was making suggestions as to which direction I want to go and the car would get back to me if that was acceptable.

With those tall tread blocks you can feel them almost wiggle on the tire, if that makes sense.

Bottom line is if you drive the car aggresively at all, get something, anything but RS-As. Shit, the old Goodyear Gatorbacks are a better performance tire than those.

In fact get some of these, they'll be better.
http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/images/med/newsteadwhl.jpg

ctsvflorida
05-16-06, 06:05 PM
I received a $200.00 per tire credit and the RSA's retailed at $271.00 per tire for a net cost to me for the tires of $284.00 ..... I believe they stuck it to me for mounting and balancing ($118.00), but they were pretty good with my wheels and the balancing is flawless; no shimmies or shakes, so I was pleased to pay a total of $389.00 for a brand-new set of run-flats.

I am curious as to how many miles your car had on it when you did the tire deal? I went 6 weeks ago and they said tires were back ordered. They said I had to pay 40% of the price but now I have 3k more miles! Lots of driving in the past couple of months. Anyway, I really would like to know if the RSA 's are real stiff and ride like you're in a cement mixer when you hit bumps like the F1's? Also, do they steer you like the F1 runflats do now, as CJONES says? I have been debating on the gs-d3's but with no spare...ehhh, just don't know. I guess onstar is great to have with no spare! Thanks in advance for the replies.

Rich H
05-16-06, 08:49 PM
Let me reiterate how bad the RS-As are. There is no steering feel with them. I felt like I was making suggestions as to which direction I want to go and the car would get back to me if that was acceptable.

With those tall tread blocks you can feel them almost wiggle on the tire, if that makes sense.

Bottom line is if you drive the car aggresively at all, get something, anything but RS-As. Shit, the old Goodyear Gatorbacks are a better performance tire than those.

In fact get some of these, they'll be better.
http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/images/med/newsteadwhl.jpg

I don't know what your experience base is with the RSAs but I doubt it is RSA EMTs on a CTS V. I was skeptical too until I mounted them on my V. If you don't believe those of us who have them on this forum I suggest you go to a dealer and test drive a 06 V with them mounted - then report back.

cjones
05-17-06, 12:52 AM
I have just over a 1000 miles on a new 06 that came with runflat RSAs. I found a forum member who had some Pirelli Rossos and we swapped. RSAs are simply not performance tires. I've also driven an 05 with F1s, big difference. I've had every imaginable performance tire on my previous cars (M5, S4, 2 C5s, G35, TA, 3 RX7s) like BFG KDs, Nitto drag and road race tires, Kumho MX, MXX3s, Pilots Sports, Firehawks, Yoko A032s, and the list goes on so I'm not a noob to this.

I don't know what your experience base is with the RSAs but I doubt it is RSA EMTs on a CTS V. I was skeptical too until I mounted them on my V. If you don't believe those of us who have them on this forum I suggest you go to a dealer and test drive a 06 V with them mounted - then report back.

Rich H
05-17-06, 12:55 PM
I have just over a 1000 miles on a new 06 that came with runflat RSAs. I found a forum member who had some Pirelli Rossos and we swapped. RSAs are simply not performance tires. I've also driven an 05 with F1s, big difference. I've had every imaginable performance tire on my previous cars (M5, S4, 2 C5s, G35, TA, 3 RX7s) like BFG KDs, Nitto drag and road race tires, Kumho MX, MXX3s, Pilots Sports, Firehawks, Yoko A032s, and the list goes on so I'm not a noob to this.

I can't argue that there aren't better performance tires out there. However, the trade-offs for pure performance aren't worth the sacrifice in ride quality and tread life longevity IMO. I have an 04 V that I have gone through 2 sets of F1 Supercar EMTs in <14,000 miles. The 4,000 miles I have put on the RSAs are so much better in ride quality that there is no comparison. However, even though I drive aggressively, I don't track the car. Obviously all-season tires give up all-out performance for wet/snow traction.

But the RSAs have not dissappointed me and as far as I'm concerned there is no better all-season EMT tire out there for this car. When Pirelli starts making a P-Zero Nero EMT in this car's tire size I will certainly give it a try. For the time being I'm satisfied with the RSA EMTs.

NIK
05-17-06, 01:58 PM
I can't argue that there aren't better performance tires out there. However, the trade-offs for pure performance aren't worth the sacrifice in ride quality and tread life longevity IMO. I have an 04 V that I have gone through 2 sets of F1 Supercar EMTs in <14,000 miles. The 4,000 miles I have put on the RSAs are so much better in ride quality that there is no comparison. However, even though I drive aggressively, I don't track the car. Obviously all-season tires give up all-out performance for wet/snow traction.

But the RSAs have not dissappointed me and as far as I'm concerned there is no better all-season EMT tire out there for this car. When Pirelli starts making a P-Zero Nero EMT in this car's tire size I will certainly give it a try. For the time being I'm satisfied with the RSA EMTs.

AMEN, brother! I couldn't have said it better ......

KTSwanson
05-18-06, 12:45 AM
If you do a "Search" on RSA-EMTs you'll find that they've been discussed (and disgusted with) extensively...not to repeat a previous post of mine in detail, but after stiffening up my suspension, the RSA-EMTs (yes, the EMT version) wasn't nearly up to the task, with wiggling, grab and release on curves, and a general floating sense, all resolved on switching to Toyo Proxe T1rs...I blame the RSA-EMTs.

NIK
05-18-06, 08:00 AM
If you do a "Search" on RSA-EMTs you'll find that they've been discussed (and disgusted with) extensively...not to repeat a previous post of mine in detail, but after stiffening up my suspension, the RSA-EMTs (yes, the EMT version) wasn't nearly up to the task, with wiggling, grab and release on curves, and a general floating sense, all resolved on switching to Toyo Proxe T1rs...I blame the RSA-EMTs.

Again, KTSwanson, it's all in how you're looking to drive your V - Though I drive relatively aggressive I rarely push the car to its limits (though in a frisky mood one morning I hit 1.0g on my meter doing a left turn - yes, with my RSA run-flats!) For me, my V is my daily driver, driven all four seasons in crazy northeast U.S. weather in temperatures ranging from 0 to 100+F....... a straight performance tire just does not cut it, in fact they are downright dangerous if the weather conditions are not dry and the temperatures temperate. For many of us, an all-season performance tire is the way to go unless we use the car for competition. I'm not saying the F-1's aren't a great sticky tire, they are - but only under their conditions.

KTSwanson
05-18-06, 10:26 AM
Again, KTSwanson, it's all in how you're looking to drive your V - Though I drive relatively aggressive I rarely push the car to its limits (though in a frisky mood one morning I hit 1.0g on my meter doing a left turn - yes, with my RSA run-flats!) For me, my V is my daily driver, driven all four seasons in crazy northeast U.S. weather in temperatures ranging from 0 to 100+F....... a straight performance tire just does not cut it, in fact they are downright dangerous if the weather conditions are not dry and the temperatures temperate. For many of us, an all-season performance tire is the way to go unless we use the car for competition. I'm not saying the F-1's aren't a great sticky tire, they are - but only under their conditions.
You make my point exactly...a performance tire they're not...fine for a CTS, or a conservatively driven, un-modified CTS-V, but push the car, or start the mods, and the tires will disappoint.

ctsvflorida
05-18-06, 07:29 PM
You make my point exactly...a performance tire they're not...fine for a CTS, or a conservatively driven, un-modified CTS-V, but push the car, or start the mods, and the tires will disappoint.

You guys really battled it out! I think it is quite obvious that the RSA's are NOT good for a V with a magnacharger! I have heard great things about them for a relatively stock car but they will spin the tire off the rim with more than 400 rwhp! I still think you two should debate this a little more as it is fun to read the debating! Have fun! :worship:

KTSwanson
05-18-06, 08:50 PM
You guys really battled it out! I think it is quite obvious that the RSA's are NOT good for a V with a magnacharger! I have heard great things about them for a relatively stock car but they will spin the tire off the rim with more than 400 rwhp! I still think you two should debate this a little more as it is fun to read the debating! Have fun! :worship:
No real battle...I just don't want others to make the same (costly) mistake I made...I just think real performance cars deserve real performance tires...

Rich H
05-18-06, 10:38 PM

I doubt >400 hp will spin the RSAs off the rim. In fact, I'll bet that if you were to put >400 hp to the rear end with RSAs they, and the rear end, would do just fine. Sure they'll spin - and that's exactly what you want. Want you don't want is for them to grab and let go like the famous F1s will do causing the infamous wheel-hop which will eventually leave your rear-end on the pavement behind you.:rolleyes:

BeastMaster
05-19-06, 11:48 AM
How are you guys getting the RSa's installed - I couldn't get anyone to put the RSA's on the 2005 V because they are not rated for 168 mph.

cjones
05-19-06, 02:20 PM
No way they will spin on the rim. The only tires that spin on a rim are really sticky tires at a low pressure with a car with a ton of HP, that's why some drag tires use rim screws. You could throw 800rwhp at RSAs, they'll just spin, rim and tire. RSAs have such poor grip I'd be surprised to see them kill a rear-end. Tire spin usually saves a rear end.

ctsvflorida
05-19-06, 06:31 PM
No way they will spin on the rim. The only tires that spin on a rim are really sticky tires at a low pressure with a car with a ton of HP, that's why some drag tires use rim screws. You could throw 800rwhp at RSAs, they'll just spin, rim and tire. RSAs have such poor grip I'd be surprised to see them kill a rear-end. Tire spin usually saves a rear end.

I only meant that will spin like crazy. Bad statement by me!

KTSwanson
05-19-06, 08:15 PM
How are you guys getting the RSa's installed - I couldn't get anyone to put the RSA's on the 2005 V because they are not rated for 168 mph.
You're lucky...

Rich H
05-19-06, 08:59 PM

Shouldn't be a problem - Go to any local Goodyear dealer and tell them the RSA EMTs are now stock on all new 06 CTS Vs. Cadillac's not stupid. They knew that the RSAs would likely save a few rear-ends from needing warranty work.