: Stereo Upgrade Questions?

fig32
05-14-06, 04:07 PM
I have done a search and read several threads about upgrading the stock Blose stereo. I have a few questions.
1. What size speakers are in the doors? It looks like they are 6-1/2" speakers?
2. What size speakers are in the rear doors? It looks like they are 5-1/4" and is it even worth upgrading them?
3. I want better base and love the idea of a free are sub. I think Shane put an Image Dynamics in. Did it require much modification to the rear deck?
4. Besides the Clean Sweep from JL, is there anything else out there that can actually be purchased now? I would like to feed directly to amps for best sound.

Any help would be appreciated guys! Thanks.

wildwhl
05-14-06, 04:14 PM
The .faq is your friend.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/cleansweep/index.html

urbanski
05-14-06, 04:27 PM
here's one of my threads about this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/57764-ok-my-mega-stereo-redo-post.html

fig32
05-14-06, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was looking for. Now if that Bluetooth phone interface where only available, life would be too good:)

Mark

DILLIGAF
05-14-06, 10:24 PM
FYI,I have the Infinitiys and love them.The stereo is loud as hell,yes I have done excessive sound deadening too.I would replace your stock speakers first and then decide wether or not you want to go further.I wanted to upgrade amp,sub,ext,i'm stopping and very happy with whats in the car now.

mallettv
05-15-06, 02:06 AM
Focals... go to AIDESIGN www.aidesign.com

Mat347
05-15-06, 02:34 PM
I have done a search and read several threads about upgrading the stock Blose stereo. I have a few questions.
1. What size speakers are in the doors? It looks like they are 6-1/2" speakers?
2. What size speakers are in the rear doors? It looks like they are 5-1/4" and is it even worth upgrading them?
3. I want better base and love the idea of a free are sub. I think Shane put an Image Dynamics in. Did it require much modification to the rear deck?
4. Besides the Clean Sweep from JL, is there anything else out there that can actually be purchased now? I would like to feed directly to amps for best sound.

Any help would be appreciated guys! Thanks.

1. Yes, they are 6.5's up front
2. Yes, they are 5-1/4 and are worth upgrading, especially if you plan on running amps.
3. A 10" sub "should" fit with minimal modifications. I also was looking into this but ultimately decided a custom box is the way to go with a single 13" Focal.
4. I've read that Alpine is making something similar to the cleansweep but is all in one(summing/equalization). I have the EQ portion of the cleansweep and can be used by itself with our Bose system but will lose the 4-channels(this will also drop the DSP function due to the 2-into 4 config).

I also recommend Focals for an all out top of the line system, however the Infinity Kappas are about the best bang/buck out there.

BTW, mallettv, that site contained no useful information, everything was "comming soon". :thepan:

Poopie D
05-15-06, 04:09 PM
FYI,I have the Infinitiys and love them.The stereo is loud as hell,yes I have done excessive sound deadening too.I would replace your stock speakers first and then decide wether or not you want to go further.I wanted to upgrade amp,sub,ext,i'm stopping and very happy with whats in the car now.

Just replacing the speakers made the stereo louder???

DILLIGAF
05-15-06, 05:37 PM
Just replacing the speakers made the stereo louder???Yep,the Infinitys have more of something.I really don't know anything about this kind of stuff,all I know is what I hear.Way louder:rolleyes:

cjones
05-15-06, 06:01 PM
I'm unclear from reading the FAQ. Does the factory system have RCA outputs on it that currently run separate Bose amp that powers the speakers and woofer?

I've got two Kenwood amps, some 6.5" CDT separates and 5.25" coaxals and an Infinity Perfect 10", though it's not a freeair, from my old car. Can I just rip out the Bose amp and speakers and plug in this stuff?

Mat347
05-15-06, 09:22 PM
No, the factory system does not have RCA...It has low power(RCA level) outputs from the factory head unit(2 channels only) into the factory bose amp with proprietary connections..where all of the audio processing and equalization is done.

You can "rig" some RCAs from the low levels and it will sound OK, but not great.

Also, the factory speakers are under 4 ohm(not sure..2 or 3), where aftermarket speakers are usually 4 ohm. The more resistance(ohms), the lower power is created from the amp...so the factory speakers will be louder than aftermarket speakers at the same volume setting(the knob). However, aftermarket speakers should easily handle more power than the crappy, but efficient paper coned units. So aftermarket speakers will have the capability of creating louder sound but it will depend on the amp if it can push the aftermarket speakers to their limits(mine can't).

First Class Motoring
05-16-06, 02:28 PM
Go With Avi's It's The Best Speakers I Have Ever Tryed.avi-usa.com.