: Four more years...

wildwhl
05-14-06, 10:57 AM
Some of you know I've been toying with replacing the V with a Porsche. Wife really wants the V out of our lives given that it has had so many days at the dealership, compounded by how often I have it torn apart trying some new mod or another.

Well, the wife wanting it gone is one of the biggest reasons to keep her :highfive:

We've been doing a little test driving of various vehicles. Took her for a ride in a friends new M5 - she really liked the car but asked him if he could shift smoother. In otherwords, she noticed the SMG snap that some like and some don't. Then we took out an E55 AMG. She said it was too fast and my license couldn't handle it (little does she know that the V in current form is in the same *fast* category). She also recalled me reading several posts on the internet about Mercedes electrical and service issues, and our neighbor having his SL500 in the shop 4 times since purchase with <3,000 miles on it to date (about 2 years old now).

Finally there's our good friends who just sold their viper and bought an '03 996TT since their first child is on the way. Way to go Bryan - convincing the wife that the 911 is a family car. Hell, wish I could find one for $69K, certified warranty with <20,000 miles on it...but that's another story.

We both drove it. Seriously awesome car. It confirmed what I knew to begin with. The replacement for my V in terms of driving enjoyment will be a 997TT. The 996 is great, but, hey, if I'm going to wait, might as well go for it all. No way in hell we can shell out the dough for a new one. So I'll be watching, and waiting. The agreement I'm working on is to keep the V for my "toy" (or more accurately FI 408 once the 9" is in :D ) and between her 40th birthday and mine - buy a sweet used 997TT for BOTH of us to drive.

So, with the cowl hood inbound, the 9" only a few months away, the GC kit a pure joy to ride, and the Snow Performance meth kit waiting to be installed, I commit to another 2-4 years with this beast. I know I'll likely regret it for a day or two along the way, but in the end, I'll be glad I drove this stealthy middle-weight sled right up the ass of every ricer, hung with the packs of crotch-rockets in the twisties, embarrassed most every piece of euro-trash, and ran right over the top of each SRTpuke I'll ever see.

For those of you in the market for a V - know this. Sure, they're taking big depreciation hits. That makes it your lucky day. With current resale on these cars they've just became one of the best car values ever in my book. Don't hesitate. Buy one. Enjoy it while we're allowed to drive cars like this.

Gotta admit - right now is one seriously difficult time for true car guys to make a decision. So, so many options out there. So many cars >350 hp. So little time :worship:

:thepan:

DILLIGAF
05-14-06, 12:14 PM
About time you came to your senses!The V is forever in my garage,unless I crash her.

wildwhl
05-14-06, 12:40 PM
HOWEVER -

I've also decided I need a backup car for running the kids and I around when the V is getting mods - thereby eliminating any need to rush her.

So, on my short list, and I'd appreciate thoughts/additions. Figure $25K budget tops, $20K is better. Must be kid friendly and work in the snow.

(all used of course, 'cept maybe new GTI)

WRX/Sti
VW R32
Audi S4 (last gen)
Mini Cooper S
RX8 (had one, sold it back to Mazda, so really not on the list, but just in case someone thinks so)
ANOTHER V :sneaky:

Suggestions?

WW (cooking mom's day breakfast and STILL on this board - I'm a friggin mess!)

51PHFTY
05-14-06, 12:55 PM
HOWEVER -

I've also decided I need a backup car for running the kids and I around when the V is getting mods - thereby eliminating any need to rush her.

So, on my short list, and I'd appreciate thoughts/additions. Figure $25K budget tops, $20K is better. Must be kid friendly and work in the snow.

(all used of course, 'cept maybe new GTI)

WRX/Sti
VW R32
Audi S4 (last gen)
Mini Cooper S
RX8 (had one, sold it back to Mazda, so really not on the list, but just in case someone thinks so)

Suggestions?

WW (cooking mom's day breakfast and STILL on this board - I'm a friggin mess!)

For the $$, WRX/Sti. Four wheel drive, cheaper than the Audi, great canyon car, very quick and very mod. friendly. A lot of the Vette, Porsche, Lambo etc. guys around here (So. Cal., No. Los Angeles County) have them as daily drivers.

If I needed 4 wheel drive, it would be my first choice as a daily driver etc.

Just my $.02.

Marty

Z06CTSV
05-14-06, 01:11 PM
Same thing going on here. Love my V. Just tired of all the wierd stuff: Diff. noise, diff. vibration, second radio with peeling buttons, new tires annually, traction control problem(fixed), second rear seat belt vibration, brake dust.

It's a love/hate relationship. Deciding if I want to get into another Love/hate relationship. Sorry about the rant. Try an audi A3, drove nice, nice tranny with paddles, and lots of interior room for a small car.

Good Luck,
Joe
New Orleans

wildwhl
05-14-06, 01:56 PM
An A3 S line would be nice...but then I'm back in V territory...

I have one vote for an Sti and one for a mini cooper S.

Ace - your thoughts (outside of the Sti). I can't really handle the styling of the Sti, maybe a stage 2 WRX (but then I'm modding my non-mod car already, sheesh!).

lasstss
05-14-06, 02:10 PM
Bill, keep this in mind. I have worked on a lot of different cars. The V is by far the easiest car to work on since the 70's aside from the electronics, I believe myself and others on this forum could take this car apart in a day or two.. Its so easy to work on. I have a neighbor with a Porche and a few with Mb's. They take it in the shorts wholesale when they need service which is often. Despite the GM nonsense, you just cant beat the V..

As an example,, I put one of my oem tires next to the V a few days ago. All of the sudden I have a dead battery. I recharge, dead again.. WTF??
Then I check the faq... tsb on tire TPS kills the battery.. You just have to laugh..:thepan:

wildwhl
05-14-06, 02:24 PM
lasstss -

great points. I have my fair share of experience with VW's, owning something like 10 of them in my past, but I agree the V is as simple as my 60's small block cars were. Top it off with superior knowledge of tuners, forums, and .faq's and it is hard to beat.

I'm NOT getting rid of the V, but buying something to allow me to go a few stages further with her without worrying about whether the family can drive with me to San Diego or not :thumbsup:

WW

urbanski
05-14-06, 03:28 PM
About time you came to your senses!The V is forever in my garage,unless I crash her.
let me reword that
"My V is in my garage forever SINCE I crashed her"

:p :alchi:

urbanski
05-14-06, 03:30 PM

Suggestions?

i will sell you mine, but not for 20K :)

get a freakin used civic for a beater errand-car.
or just why not make the V your errand car? mine is. its all i need in a ride.

DILLIGAF
05-14-06, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking about a SRX for the family car.I like the lines of these new caddies.I haven't drove one yet but I drive a 99WJ when the weather is bad.They have to have a better ride than the jeep with more creature comforts.How about a maggied Yukon,been in one,very cool,dvd screens for the kids,navigation,great buys out there on the fuel economy challenged.

ace996
05-14-06, 05:26 PM
Ace - your thoughts (outside of the Sti). I can't really handle the styling of the Sti, maybe a stage 2 WRX (but then I'm modding my non-mod car already, sheesh!).

WW,
Outside of the STi???? I don't know...I really don't. Forget the Audi S4 TT, unless you are related to a mechanic....repairs for that car are VERY costly. How about the Subaru Legacy GT? A little more sedated looks but virtually same motor. The problem is that modding it is just too easy, although a great "bang for the buck" platform.

Really, I'd have to push for the STi. They are quite reliable and if you purchase one from a "mature" driver, difficult as that may be, you'll have a vehicle that can rip in ALL weather conditions (with appropriate tires) and shuttle the kids. With as little as $3K, you'll give 993TTs some problems....no kidding...a little more $ and 996TTs will have fits...

For the looks, swap your hood for an Imprezza RS hood and mount a small front-mount-intercooler. You could also swap your trunk with a WRX or RS and have a real sleeper.

On the more civilized side, the Saab version of the WRX is a real sleeper, too.

Good problem to have, but decisions are always tough.

Good luck, and don't pull the trigger until you test drive the STI....at least once...
-ace

Dennisscars
05-14-06, 05:31 PM
Sorry, too much rice and strudel for me... I'm thinking the Saturn Sky and let's option the LS7 in it...or supercharged LS2, we already know what to do with that one... Still cheaper than a porch..:thepan:

http://www.mallettcars.com/sky-conversion.htm

AznPrydeRegalRyde
05-14-06, 06:16 PM
WRX/Sti
VW R32
Audi S4 (last gen)
Mini Cooper S

Suggestions?

WW (cooking mom's day breakfast and STILL on this board - I'm a friggin mess!) How about a Volvo S60R? It's a low 14 second car that can be made a low 13 sec car with under 1500 in 2 mods (from experience). It's incredibly safe with more airbags then speakers (exag). It's AWD, has 300 hp/300 lbs-ft with the 6 spd (less torque with the auto). It'll have nav/HIDs/heated seats/better stereo then the CTS and a hand brake. It also has a dynamic chassis control, changing the firmness/sportiness of the ride at the touch of a button. And you should be able to get a low miles 05 for well less then $30k.

It's really like a grown up version of the STi. It may not have the look-at-me factor of the STi, but then thats not a bad thing either. It's alot more unique then the cars you listed as well. And your kids will be super-safe in it.

wildwhl
05-14-06, 07:27 PM
All good suggestions.

Ace - I hear you...

Dennis - must have 4 seats

APRR - I was half way through a purchase of an S60R when the V came into my life...but in the end the S60R is really a front driver pretending to be AWD. Nice car, but Volvo's can nickle and dime you better than the rest.

Most of you are thinking "...what is this guy nucking futs? Rice this, rice that..."

In order to get the requisite mods in the V (new hood, new 9" rear, etc.) there will be significant down time. Sure, a Civic beater is one way to go - but if I wanted that I'd drive the Matrix beater that we use for small deliveries at the shop. I gotta have something with some go and some ability to be tuned...it's just in my blood :cookoo:

Maybe I should just clay bar up the V and wax her a bit. Maybe that will cure my new car desire :D

WW

(actually, the Mallett equipped Saturn Sky has been riding in the back of my mind...haunting me...like only a revoked driver's license can!)

mostoyzwinz
05-14-06, 08:48 PM
Sick puppy thread...I like it. If an you can handle an SUV, a Hemi'd Jeep has a good snap to it plus some of the family/grocery getter features you're looking for...except good mpg. It can pull a trailer if needed and do some decent off roading. Vortech S/C++ can get it up to 500 hp if you feel the need. Forget about the twisties though and in general a 'Jeep' ride.

mdc
05-14-06, 08:55 PM
Subaru is releasing a STi that the are calling the Limited or something. It deletes the giant wing for a very subtle spoiler (like the one you can get on a CTS), the hood scoop is a little smaller, the brake callipers are black (or grey, can't remember) instead of gold, wheels are silver, and the hood spoiler is deleted.

If the STi is too over the top in terms of looks, the Limited version might be what you are looking for ... of course, being a new car (to be released this summer), it may not fit your $20-$25k budget

mdc
05-14-06, 08:58 PM
Here is a pic of the STi Limited
http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2006_new_york/0605_2007_subaru_wrx_sti_limited_445.jpg

Dennisscars
05-14-06, 09:07 PM
ok then, last year for the GTO, seats 4 and it's trackable..

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0606_sf_tuner_vehicle_specifications/motorsports_pontiac_gto.html

DILLIGAF
05-14-06, 09:14 PM
I'm trying like hell to get some american muscle on your list WW.A chevy Avalanche is a cool f'n ride.Good for family weekend getaways,a perfect candidate for a stealth tune to boot.My kids WJ is a rice eater and I hate to admit it but it will leave my V from a dead dig and I don't catch up till the top of second gear.

wildwhl
05-14-06, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah, one more criteria:

Can't be a GM vehicle :(

WW

StealthV
05-14-06, 10:38 PM
Since you're a mile high, it has to be pressurized.

Subbie is too young punk ricer.

VW R32 - Turbocharged AWD Deutschland gokart rocket science.

Wolfgang "Take me to the Folksvagen dealeh."

StealthV
05-14-06, 10:52 PM
A chevy Avalanche is a cool f'n ride.Good for family weekend getaways,a perfect candidate for a stealth tune to boot.

Just installed a Corsa and tuned an Avy today. The off throttle cackle will scare small children and grandmothers.

Slushboxes are fun to tweak. :burn:

Dennisscars
05-14-06, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah, one more criteria:

Can't be a GM vehicle

WW

ok, so back to rice and strudel yah?

just be done and get her a porch....:duck:

StealthV
05-14-06, 11:43 PM
Hier kein Reis. Deutsche große Autos nur.

04CTSVFLA
05-15-06, 01:01 PM
s4 s4 s4 s4 s4 as the family car.

SwampFox
05-15-06, 03:55 PM
WW,
Having fun with this thread??
Just get a minivan (US made) and take the family where they want to go. Then when you climb back into the V-rocket for personal needs, it will really make you smile (when it's running, that is)

mostoyzwinz
05-15-06, 04:07 PM
Hier kein Reis. Deutsche große Autos nur.

Fahrvergnugen...oder ist es Fukingrüven? Große oder schnelle?

ChicagoCTS32
05-15-06, 04:12 PM
If it's a family ride you want... see if you can find a V10 TDI Toureag. Just try and keep from squeezing 500 hp and 700 lb-ft out of it!

Kadonny
05-15-06, 04:16 PM
S4 would be awesome. Even try a used A6 with the 2.7T engine. Throw a chip in it and I hear they can really scream.

Please, please just stay away from the WRX/EVO. Puhlease!

StealthV
05-15-06, 05:10 PM
Ja, Fahrvergn&#252;gen!

wildwhl
05-15-06, 05:29 PM
:hmm: Maybe an old brit scoot with sidecar....

cjones
05-15-06, 07:48 PM
I had an 01 S4 briefly. Turned out the car was modified when I bought it from the dealer and they tried to void the warranty on me. Long story short they bought it back.

Great car. It had about 300hp (turned out) and firmed shocks, etc. Very refined, comfortable, nice interior. The turbos wear out quick from what I understand so get an extended warranty. I considered one of the new ones instead of the V but wanted the extra torque!

wildwhl
05-15-06, 11:23 PM
I swore no more black cars...

I'll burn in hell for this. One drive and I was hooked.

ChicagoCTS32
05-15-06, 11:25 PM
Buy it WW?

c4racer
05-16-06, 04:00 PM
Evo is hard not to love, after driving one. Sure, they look like a hot wheels toy or something a 20 year old should be driving.... But there is no car I've driven yet that is a more pure drivers car than the Evo. I picked up a new Evo 9 this year for under $29K. Love it. Far more precise and tossable than the V, which feels like such a pig whenever I get back in it after driving the Evo for a couple days. Reminds me a lot of the E36 M3 sedan, just a bit more econo car on the inside, but it really has everything you need - nice pedals with perfect placement and the best brake feel / modulation I've felt in any car including some race cars, perfect fit Momo steering wheel, nice shifting action, incredible Recaro seats with sticky Alcantara fabric that hold you in place. And did I mention the boost? Oh yea, it's got that too - there is something addictive about hitting the boost at 3500rpm and feeling the rush all the way to the 7000rpm redline. Not to mention the AWD grip. The car is a serious hoot to drive. You just have to look past the fast N furious exterior is all..... :thumbsup:

ace996
05-16-06, 07:47 PM
The only real issue with the Evo/STI cars, is how heavy/soft they'll make the V feel...as C4 racer stated.

For those of you who've never actually driven one, on a road that requires actual "driver skill" , you're missing out on one of the purest driver-vehicle interfaces that's every been brought to the public market. Doubt me??..then drive one.

All the rice this, rice that, ect...will fade away once the first turn is taken.

WW, if you're keeping the V...then there's no reason not to have a "corner-carving, snow shredding, launch harder than you could ever imagine, drive faster in the rain than most cars can in the dry" AWD family hauler. You can use the V when you want the luxury/musclecar for certain situations, and then have the Evo/STI for daily ripping.

"New-car" dollar for dollar, one can't find a better street scalpel than the Evo. Personally, I'd go for the STI...as Mitsu dealer service has a worse reputation than Caddy dealer service. Evo's are known to burn clutches, have tranny problems, and transfer-case issues. The Subaru's tranny is built by Porsche, and they know a thing or two about trannies, no? The safety rating of the Subaru is fantastic and the knife-edge feel of the Evo is a set of springs/sways away.

Really, I've autoxed both cars...hard enough to have them both screaming for more...and they are so close...it's really splitting hairs. But if you were to look at "pre-owned" examples, I'd only look at the Subie. On second thought, even if they were new the STI would get my money.

I just wonder how long you'll keep the V after you've gone rally-based?....

P.S.- The Duck sold on Ebay for $9100 to a local buyer...looks like I'll be morphing the Z into the autox/track mutant it begs to be...

wildwhl
05-16-06, 07:59 PM
Three things you should never trust:

A dealer on your trade in value
A fart
WW when he's had a drink

I can't believe ANY of you would think I'd buy an Evo, good car or not :want:

WW

(this was supposed to be my late April Fools joke to each of you - but if they didn't look so rice I'd consider one)

AznPrydeRegalRyde
05-16-06, 08:17 PM
APRR - I was half way through a purchase of an S60R when the V came into my life...but in the end the S60R is really a front driver pretending to be AWD. Nice car, but Volvo's can nickle and dime you better than the rest.

Having owned an S60R (with pretty orange seats, lol) I wholeheartedly agree with you! I had some work done, 370 hp, and it was only fun in a straight line. The understeer was pretty bad. If you tried more then one quick turn in a row (slalom-esque) it was as slushy as the a TL or GTP.
Nice fit and finish. Looked good. But it was hell to fix. Alternator installed was like 800!:eek: Just to show my distain for this car, I traded it in on a CTS 3.6L 6 spd. And honestly, the CTS is MUCH more of a drivers car then the S60R was.

Go for the VW R32!

Florian
05-16-06, 08:52 PM
72 Lime Green Pinto Wagon

F

ace996
05-16-06, 09:11 PM
...so you didn't test-drive one...:rolleyes:

I guess you'll be keeping the V then....:stirpot:

DILLIGAF
05-16-06, 09:48 PM
You're really starting to scare us WW.Shouldn't you be out killen rice?2 or 4 wheeled versions?Let me know when to pp you for the sticker,please.Go buy a cheap Audi A4 and be done with this nonsense,or a 4door pickup=my choice.

wildwhl
05-16-06, 10:19 PM
ace -

I have driven an Evo before. It is a serious driver's car - but the looks are something I can't get past.

I'm just having fun here. My heart is set on a P car in a couple of years, so I don't need that sweet of performance but do need something to trash in the winter, instead of my V. I have a line on an Sti that has had the wing removed...and looks very sane. Owner is about 50 and oddly enough he is the same guy that bought a Jetta from me a few years back. Such a small world sometimes.

F - '72 Pinto with buick V6 is something I've already done :) Want to talk about a poor handling straight line ride :nono:

WW

p.s. - Stickers are in production and should be ready in a week or so. I'll post a new thread for those that need them to email me their mailing address at that time.

Florian
05-17-06, 09:14 AM
WW,

I would classify most domestic cars of the 70's to be nothing more than straight line rides. I had all sorts of cars from the 70s and they rolled more than Rosie O Fat in corners...

F