: How long should plugs/wires last?

sprj
05-13-06, 08:07 PM
I have a 97 Seville SLS. Last spring, it was not running smooth. The ignition seemed to be missing. I put new AC Delco plugs and Bosch Platinum wires in about 12 months ago and it solved the problem. I just noticed today that my car seems to be repeating this same problem again?

What is the consensus out there about how long these plugs and wires should last and which should I replace first? Would anyone recommend trying to clean the plugs if they appear to have normal wear ( I don't recall any abnormal deposits on the plugs I pulled last year. I have not pulled these yet to examine them)? Also, anybody know any tricks to make changing the plugs on this engine easier? I had a bear of a time with 'em last spring...

Thanks,

Jason

Ranger
05-13-06, 09:05 PM
A/C Delco plugs and wires shoud last about 100K. Since you used Bosch, replace them and leave the plugs alone. You are not the first to find out the hard way that OEM is the way to go.

Plugs are very easy. A little easier if you remove the strut tower cross brace and the coil pack, but not neccassary.

Patrick7997
05-20-06, 10:23 AM
Yeah, with the right length extension bar on your ratchet, those plugs are pretty easy....

IF you wanna see a HARD one, take a look at a 4.9L Eldorado... those 4 in the back.... you will feel your will to live draining from your body....

The strut tower brace needs to be removed. The coil pack does not. The wires can be pushed out of the way easily.

davesdeville
05-21-06, 04:21 AM
I've never removed my strut tower brace when doing plugs. Somehow this FWD northstar is easier to do plugs on than my RWD Lincoln (almost everything else is harder though.)

clarkz71
05-21-06, 10:43 AM
I agree with Ranger, it gives you a little more room with the strut brace out of the way, but you can change the plugs without removing it.