: Easy question - which is right and which is left?

turbojimmy
05-13-06, 08:03 PM
I need to order a new coil pack assembly for the cylinder bank that is at the front of the car. Of course, when you go to order them they are 'right' or 'left' assemblies (not front or back). I'm assuming that the 'right' and 'left' assume you're standing at the back of the engine, which is the left side of the car. Therefore, right cylinder bank would be the rear of the engine (as you're standing at the front of the car) and the left cylinder bank would be the front. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger on the order. The rear (right?) coil pack was replaced last year.

TIA,
Jim

Ranger
05-13-06, 09:03 PM
You are correct. Being transverse mounted the engine is facing the right side of the car so the left bank is in front and the right bank is in the rear.

turbojimmy
05-14-06, 01:23 PM
You are correct. Being transverse mounted the engine is facing the right side of the car so the left bank is in front and the right bank is in the rear.

Cool - so I need the left coil pack. I've blown a lot of money lately on parts that I didn't need or were wrong. I don't want to do it again. Examples:

$200 for a used radio. Didn't fix the problem.

$150 for a window motor/regulator assembly. The problem was actually a broken ground wire, but I had already destroyed my old unit to get it out.

$65 for a new seat belt buckle/pretensioner assembly. Gambled with the P/N and lost. It's the wrong color. I put it in anyway but it looks silly.

This time when I got the P0300 and the engine began to shudder, I took my mom's coil pack and bolted in place of mine. It fixed my problem so I'm sure blowing the $150 on a new one will fix it - just need to make sure I order the correct side. Actually my mom's car is still under warranty. It would be weird if her coil pack suddenly failed while mine suddenly started working again, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

Jim

WOTMODE
05-15-06, 01:33 AM
What goes around, comes around.

turbojimmy
05-15-06, 05:37 AM
What goes around, comes around.

I know, I was kidding. I'm a firm believer in Karma. Plus I'm too paranoid - it would haunt me forever.

Jim