: How did this guy do burnouts?

weister42
05-12-06, 09:25 PM
I thought a burnout with a N* is impossible due to the traction control and the default 2nd gear thing??? It is a 1993 STS.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cadillac/0/1D0C5B42-6AA3-4BDF-8679-127639D75DA2.htm

eldorado1
05-12-06, 09:29 PM
bleach?

Murphyg
05-12-06, 10:59 PM
Where there's a will there's a way.

Had a 93 SLS with the 4.9, and it took some time to get used to not layin a patch every time I left a light.

Now have a 01 STS.

My 93 wasnt the N# but my 01 is.
In my 01 I can turn off the traction whenever I wish with the simple press of a labeled button.

:burn:

Murphyg
05-12-06, 11:02 PM
bleach?

Just saw the vid and aint no hard to pull that off.

chazglenn3
05-12-06, 11:12 PM
Looks like a combination of some kind of liquid under the front tires, and the parking brake was on...you can see him release it before the car takes off. Looked like a perfectly good waste of 1000 miles of tread to me.

Charles

Murphyg
05-12-06, 11:56 PM
.......good waste of 1000 miles of tread to me.....Charles

X amount of Yahoo miles if ya ask me.

WOTMODE
05-13-06, 12:07 AM
Trac. control can be disabled through on-board diagnostics in the PCM override section, or disable abs by removing fuse or disconnecting a wheel speed sensor.

parts68
05-13-06, 12:35 AM
Bleach was used in the old days to clean the slicks before a run.
It was coined a bleach box.
Nowadays its a water box and is minus the bleach.
why would anyone use brakefluid?

blackSTS859
05-15-06, 09:49 PM
trac off and parking brake on

CadillacSTS42005
05-16-06, 03:35 PM
with trac off and park brake on if you punch it all it does is pull the car forward not tire spin

JimHare
05-16-06, 04:51 PM
Anybody consider the possibility that the front's had very little tread left on them and just spun on the liquid he had under them? That looked like a lot of smoke for just tire tread being worn away...

Still, a bit of a waste if you ask me.. I could generate the same amount of smoke with a couple of wet old horse blankets and some matches. And wouldn't smell as bad...lol

CadillacSTS42005
05-16-06, 11:34 PM
I could generate the same amount of smoke with a couple of wet old horse blankets and some matches. And wouldn't smell as bad...lol

that wouldnt be as fun either though...

danbuc
05-17-06, 05:56 PM
Kinda looked to me as if only one tire was going there. Great way to ruin a perfectly good differential.

Murphyg, when you hit the button on the center console and "disable" T/C, you lose first gear. There's way's around it though.

STS 310
05-18-06, 10:08 PM
Looks like a combination of some kind of liquid under the front tires, and the parking brake was on...you can see him release it before the car takes off. Looked like a perfectly good waste of 1000 miles of tread to me.Charles

LOL, good one Charles.

auroradude
05-18-06, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "lose first gear". That does not make any sense to me. Please elaborate on that.

BTW, That was a pretty damn good burnout but itd be better if it was 2 wheels. Makes me wish i had the 4.6 :(

CadillacSTS42005
05-18-06, 11:43 PM
aurora

caddys (96+) have a t/c disable button, however when you turn off the t/c the car automatically loses 1st gear, we start in 2nd even if you manually put it into 1st gear its still in second gear

danbuc
05-19-06, 04:49 PM
Disabling 1st gear is the car's way of perventing any possible damage to the differential form excessive wheel spin from one side or the other. Our car's have regular open diff's. The traction control system is what prevents damage to the diff by controlling wheel spin evenly between both tires, using the brake and by contorlling engine torque. When you disable it, it has no other choice but to eliminate first gear to prevent any possiblilty that excessive wheel spin may occue, causing possible damage to the diff. It's bascially a Failsafe, to ensure that you don't end up breaking the car while doing something stupid......like trying to do a big burnout with an Open Diff and no Traction Control.

As I said, there are ways around it, but unless you have some real sticky tires or an LSD, it won't do you much good.

davesdeville
05-20-06, 05:46 AM
One thing I've never really understood - do constant burnouts actually cause damage to an open differential? If so, how exactly? The side gears will be turning at a different rate, just like they do in a turn. Just faster than in a turn.

danbuc
05-20-06, 12:16 PM
Doing a one wheel burnout with an open diff puts excessive stress on it, since it has to spin one side much faster than the other. During a normal turn, the difference in speed and torque is small enough not to cause any damage. When you start trying to force all the engine's power through one wheel spinning 40+ mph while keeping the other wheel stationary, it's gonna cause some damage. Usually, it results in excessive heat buildup, which can lead to the spider gears inside the carrier grenading or seizing, which will effectively ruin or destroy a diff. The diff is only designed to output the engine power evenly across both sides of the axle, even during a turn. When you begin to change the power going from side to side, it's going to stress the internal parts until they break. It's the reason why most performance cars either have a very good T/C control system to limit individual wheel spin, or come with some sort of Limited Slip Differential to keep one wheel form spinning out of control. Some even use both.

mylac
05-28-06, 04:56 AM
You can disable traction control and still keep first gear in obd 1 cadillacs (pre 96) by going into the pcm menu. Here is how to disable traction without loss of power, without loss of first gear and without loss of abs. First, on your guage cluster, in the climate control section, at the same time push and hold the "off" button and then the red heat button, the button that raises the temp inside. Hold these for about five seconds. After the computer does it thing and does it's diagnosis test (takes ten seconds or so) use the "up" button to select "PCM?". Use the "down" button until you find "PCM Override?" Use the "up" button again to ok this selection. You will now see PS00. Use the "down" button to select PS24. Use the "red" button to turn this off. Now hit the "off" button until you're out of the menu. Your display should now read "traction disabeled". You will have to do this every eleven key cycles. Have fun.