: Guys, you HAVE to SAVE A PIECE OF HISTORY!

cmgrafmc
05-12-06, 02:16 PM
While on Craigslist the other day I came across a white 1984 Brougham with tan interior, like mine but older. The engine is shot but it looks straight and the chrome seems shiny and is certainly capable of being brought back to life or parted out. The guy is going to SCAP it in two weeks and collect $250 for it. He's only asking $250 for someone to cart it away! I have the money to buy it but not to rent a flatbed to bring it home, or a place to store it.

I emplore anyone who lives around Portland, Oregon, or anywhere in the area, to please save this vehicle from a madman's shredder! The parts ALONE are worth more than $250 and I'd LOVE to buy it for spare parts but I can't.

SOMEONE SAVE IT!!! :worship:

http://portland.craigslist.org/pts/159612392.html

1990CaddyBrougham
05-13-06, 11:49 AM
Have you ever been to a junkyard? Lol... i wouldnt advise you to visit one

Benzilla
05-13-06, 02:58 PM
But this one can still be saved, its in good condition!

brougham
05-13-06, 07:16 PM
It doesn't look that good.

Benzilla
05-13-06, 08:16 PM
shit it looks good to me, atleast for parts if nothing else.

cmgrafmc
05-13-06, 09:35 PM
shit it looks good to me, atleast for parts if nothing else.

Exactly. Around here, I have a hard time finding parts in good condition and none of the local yards around have my style Brougham. I wanted a bezel for my driver's side tail lamp and the best I could find was still way too much $$. The bumpers, the body panels, the emblems, all of it is worth more than $250. Parting the thing out would get you a pretty good return over time. I'd do it but I have nowhere to store the thing and I don't happen to have a flat bed tow truck...

It just makes me sick to see so many valuable parts get crushed down to scrap. All that simulated wood grain and wonderful chrome... :helpless:

eldorado99
05-13-06, 10:09 PM
Yeah it is a shame to see such a valuable parts car go to waste, you know that that car is a gold mine to someone. I struck gold the other day when some guy who has been eyeing my car for a month now (so he says) told me his dad who is 70 years old has the exact same car as me except it got a decent t-bone on the passenger side. When I get back home I'm gonna look at it and probably haul it away. The guy said it is the same interior exterior colour combo as well as the same year and model ('70 Sedan Deville). I'm pretty certain that I essentially won the lottery as far as parts cars go.

Well that was a bit unrelated but it shows how valuable that car may be to someone. Hopefully someone can save that car from the crusher.

1990CaddyBrougham
05-14-06, 07:43 PM
I think prices of these cars are comming down, parts too.

But anyways...
Probably wouldnt like to see this then, next car to be parted for me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/GrayBrougham.jpg

Benzilla
05-14-06, 08:59 PM
I saw that thing on ebay, trust me, I don't have any problem with you parting it, but being parted out and being crushed are two different things.

eldorado99
05-15-06, 03:06 AM
I saw that thing on ebay, trust me, I don't have any problem with you parting it, but being parted out and being crushed are two different things.

Yeah, when these beauties go to the crusher it means the loss of another piece of Cadillac history. What happens in 50 years when guys like us want to restore a Cadillac, or maintain a restored Cadillac? I was thinking about this the other day actually. Right now I can find parts for my 1970, for cheap usually. People who restore Model-t's need to have many parts fabricated because many parts simply don't exist for those old cars anymore. What happens when my car gets that old? When the Model-t's were around there weren't very many types of cars to choose from. Later on the the selection grew. When my 1970 is 80 years old aftermarket fabricators may not be making 1970 Cadillac Deville parts. Sure they will make 1970 Chevelle parts or 1970 Mustang parts, but what happens to the 1970 Cadillac owner?

Destroyer
05-15-06, 08:36 AM
It all comes down to money. Financially is it worth fixing this car when you can buy a real nice one for $1500 or so?. No. This thing may well need a whole new motor. Needs steering wheel and I'd gamble that it needs a hell of a lot more. Would make a good parts car but the if the junkyards are like they are here in FL, it will sit on the lot for awhile so people can take whatever they need from it. This car is not worth saving unfortunately.

509Rider
05-15-06, 02:57 PM
I wouldnt want it if somebody gave it to me, if it was a coupe I would be more interested, not many people want to restore an 80s sedan.

cmgrafmc
05-16-06, 05:18 PM
You boobs. It's not about restoring THIS particular one. It's about the parts! The parts are worth more than the $250 he's asking. It's just a shame that all those trim pieces, bumpers, door handles, mirrors, plastic interior trim parts, ornaments, braces, supports, carpet, switches, knobs, etc. are going to be ground to bits. It isn't easy finding some of those parts, despite claims made to the contrary. Maybe in Old People Central (Florida) or on the mobster-laden East Coast, sure! Out here it's hard to find those little bits and pieces.

And about the comment above, there are lots of people keeping these big Broughams up and running. Most of the compliments I get come from college kids and teens, actually. Old people love the car, too, though. LOL A lot of girls, surprisingly, like the car, too. They're pimp...

I digress. My plea wasn't to save the car to restore it, but to prevent all those juicy parts from being wasted. =)

On a related topic: I need the screw that holds the end of the dash panel on. It's a nice, finished screw, dark gray/black, quite long, that goes into the dash on the driver's side (passenger's side is the same) where the side of the dash meets the door. My local shop lost mine. I've been looking for one forever. :worship: