: 1972 cadillac windshield

billsif
05-12-06, 02:56 PM
hello. i dont want to get my car impounded so i need to replace the terribly cracked windshield. has anyone had experience replacing one or is this the kind of thing i probably want to pay someone else to do? im fairly handy with my car but it seems like a pain and there might be possibility for disaster. can a new windshield be custom made? would an old used windshield be a good idea? any ideas or help would be appreciated. thanks. oh also what should i expect to pay for the windshield (used or new) and the labor?

77CDV
05-12-06, 03:05 PM
Unless you have experience replacing large pieces of glass, I'd leave this one to the professionals. I'd go with a used windshield, any C-body Caddy from 1971-1976 should fit your car. The whole works should not cost more than $500. Good luck.

Craig

Junkman
05-12-06, 05:57 PM
If you are paying for this out of your own pocket, then shop around to a lot of the bigger glass replacement companies. There is a deep discount in the glass business, but sometimes it is hard to get the independent shops to give you a break (no pun intended) on the price. I have found that the bigger the chain of glass dealer, the hungrier they are for work, and are willing to drop the price to get the job. Junk..

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-12-06, 09:28 PM
That has to be one hell of a windshield....

brougham
05-12-06, 10:00 PM
Start calling windshield places. You can probably get a new one and it shouldn't cost a lot.

N0DIH
05-13-06, 08:18 PM
I think the older cars are much easier to replace. Not like the new cars where the windshield is a key part of the structure of the car. The old ones the windshield is resting in place, sealed and trim cover it back up.

scurling
05-14-06, 11:25 PM
For what it's worth, my '73 Impala windshield replacement with interior glass antenna, was $250. a few years ago. My '94 Fltwd windshield last year cost $228 to replace at Safelite Autoglass, who I do not recommend to anyone. Safelite uses a "universal fit" windshield, which I discovered after installation. I was not pleased with the installation or fit of the edge and frame seals. I was told later, that Original glass was available through special order, but I didn't specify original, so I was sold "stock" availability.

N0DIH
05-18-06, 07:41 PM
I was pretty steemed when they did my glass on my 91 SDV. "the bigger the blob the better the job" is the motto of the day for the installer. There was so much crap goo under the headliner it was sickening.

GO TO THE DEALER for the install! They at least stand a chance at doing a good job....

scurling
05-18-06, 10:25 PM
I know what you mean. I also had those little thin "strings" of black mastic all around the top and edges.

Junkman
05-18-06, 11:03 PM
I was pretty steemed when they did my glass on my 91 SDV. "the bigger the blob the better the job" is the motto of the day for the installer. There was so much crap goo under the headliner it was sickening.

GO TO THE DEALER for the install! They at least stand a chance at doing a good job....

Dealers just contract the job to independent glass shops, but they do know who does a neat job. I have found that if the installer knows that you are fussy about it being done perfectly before he starts, then he will do a neater job. These guys are paid by the job, not the hour, so the faster they get it done, the more they can make in a day. Junk....

N0DIH
05-20-06, 02:08 AM
Not my local Cadillac dealer, they can order the glass and will do the work in house. It was Crest Cadillac, now Country Cadillac in Delavan, WI. I talked with them about it, they recommended that next time (if there is) they do it, they said they do some cars, and insurance approves.