: 95 Fleetwood won't start

biggeazy-e
05-12-06, 11:52 AM
just got done doing some work on the car, which the fuel tank was removed for..
while the tank was out, a section of the (feed) line was damaged and replaced

the car has spark, the "feed" line to the intake was dry, so i siphoned fuel into it(through the line with a vacuum pump), but the car will still not start..

ii dont know which relay belongs to the fuel system, so i tested them all(didnt have my DMM, so i just gave them power, click=good)

im looking for a "next place" to test... usually, i'd trace lines, and test for continuity/voltage, but this damn car has so much electrical confusion going on, and it seems that every wire in the engine bay leads directly to the computer....(maybe comp. shut off something???)

like i said, it has spark, and some fuel to the line, is this at all a common problem?? ive heard about many electrical problems with these cars(lt1 caddys, as well as caprice/impalas..)

the car started right up with starting fluid.. injectors clogged?somehow disabled??

sorry for any lack of info, but ill be checking back up on this topic until i can figure out whats going on..

thanks for any help..

eazy

BCs71
05-12-06, 01:41 PM
I believe the Fleetwood has the test wire dangling under the hood like the Caprices and Impalas, etc. If it wasn't raining outside I'd check my FW and see....

But basically there is a black connector (with red wire, I think) under the hood on the passenger side right next to the relay/fuse center black box. It should be dangling loose, nothing hooked up to it. If you jump 12V from your battery (positive side) to this black connector then you should hear the pump turn on and run briefly.
This uses the stock wiring but -I think- bypasses the relay/fuse for the pump.

Also, do you hear the fuel pump run for two-three seconds when you turn the ignition forward (but not "run")?? You should hear this.....

biggeazy-e
05-12-06, 03:52 PM
I believe the Fleetwood has the test wire dangling under the hood like the Caprices and Impalas, etc. If it wasn't raining outside I'd check my FW and see....

But basically there is a black connector (with red wire, I think) under the hood on the passenger side right next to the relay/fuse center black box. It should be dangling loose, nothing hooked up to it. If you jump 12V from your battery (positive side) to this black connector then you should hear the pump turn on and run briefly.
This uses the stock wiring but -I think- bypasses the relay/fuse for the pump.

Also, do you hear the fuel pump run for two-three seconds when you turn the ignition forward (but not "run")?? You should hear this.....
when the ign. is in the on position, i think the pump does run, but there are also a few other sounds in this particular car that could easily be something else..

what i did do is hook my voltmeter up to the fuel pump wiring harness and turn the key to the on position, and it gets at least 10.xx volts(didnt take note of the exact reading)..

another question- does the fuel pump also have a ground going to it, or is it just the 4 wire harness?

ill check the "jumper" wires you mentioned and see if i get any results..

also- on the intake, ive traced fuel lines that tell me the larger one is feed and smaller is return.. when i pulled both hoses yesterday, the return line was wet and seemed to have pressure while the feed side was almost dry
using a vacuum pump, i siphoned fuel through the larger hose today(thinking the problem was just air in the lines)
i got to thinking and wondered if i siphoned fuel from the smaller line(from intake, towards return lines) would that get rid of any air in the lines? should there be any constant flow of fuel in that line???

thanks