: HELP! Car made horrible noise.

Venomous-V
05-11-06, 08:34 PM
So i'm driving in the rain today and pull up to a stop light. i pulled away from the light, hit second hard and slid it then it began to hop violently so i let off. Put it in 4th to cruise and then it happened. It sounded like something rattling or bagging against something. The best annalogy i have is this; When you were young and would attach a balloon or playing card to ur bicycle spokes to make it sound like a motor. It only lasted a few seconds because i depressed the clutch and took it out of gear. It sounded like it came from the rear of the car, not so much the trans. I put it back in gear to get home and i didnt hear it. I havent gotten a chance to look under the car being it is dark and raining but that is first on the list for the mornning. Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance!( forgot to mention i have 5,000 miles and rear has been whining since 4,000)

SoCadillac
05-11-06, 08:40 PM
Rear exhaust hangers broken?

rand49er
05-11-06, 09:49 PM
... i'm driving in the rain ... and ... it then it began to hop violently ...That's when I first noticed mine hopping, when it was wet. Don't know about your noise, though. :confused:

GAGS-V
05-11-06, 11:31 PM
Check out the molding that goes across the top of the windshield. Mine came loose and banged on the roof, made a terrible sound, it sounded like a tire hitting something from the rear left.

MLV
05-12-06, 07:03 AM
Several of us who have installed the Corsa exhaust have experieced banging, rattling, rocks in a can type noise when driving in heavy rain. I do not think Corsa ever determined a cause. In my case, I believe it was caused by the drive shaft striking the pipes just to the rear of the resonator, maybe due to expansion/contraction caused by the heat and water contact. There was very little clearance, so I had the pipes lowered slightly(they pried them down a little in that area), and I haven't had the problem in about a year. Good luck.

05-12-06, 09:56 AM
Several of us who have installed the Corsa exhaust have experieced banging, rattling, rocks in a can type noise when driving in heavy rain. I do not think Corsa ever determined a cause. In my case, I believe it was caused by the drive shaft striking the pipes just to the rear of the resonator, maybe due to expansion/contraction caused by the heat and water contact. There was very little clearance, so I had the pipes lowered slightly(they pried them down a little in that area), and I haven't had the problem in about a year. Good luck.

yeah, when I saw your Corsa on the list I was thinking that maybe the hopping knocked your exhaust out of whack. Common sources of banging are at the driveshaft as noted above, and the rear sway bar just in front of the muffler inlet pipes. Could also be the pipes going around the rear diff, but that would have to be way out of whack.....

trukk
05-12-06, 01:41 PM
The thread that started it all:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/35845-exhaust-corsa-banging-drive-shaft.html

Choice quote:

So i'm driving back from Virginia to MD on Monday, during a 'monsoon'. All was well until I hit a fairly large puddle (say 20 feet long, 1.5" deep).

Then BANG BANG BANG BANG. It sounded like a rabid monkey was banging on the under side of my car with a crecent wrench. Scared the crap out of me.

After a few adjustments, mine no longer has this problem. I ended up speaking with Jim Browning Jr, from Corsa on this. They were extremely helpful, and concerned.

In a nut shell, the driveshaft is really crammed into the tunnel under the car. The Corsa is close enough, that when it's hot, and get cooled down very quick, it contracts enought to hit the DS. Mine was hitting a balancing weight on the DS, just behind the resonator.

My $0.02,

Chris

Venomous-V
05-12-06, 03:03 PM
Have i mentioned that this forum is the SH*T! Thanks everyone for your responses. That thread on the Corsa problem lead me directly to my issue. Got under the car today and low and behold exhaust has moved and needed some adjusting. (first hint for me was seeing the pipes not centered in the cutouts looking at the rear bumper). Problem solved, for now.

trukk
05-12-06, 03:15 PM
Have i mentioned that this forum is the SH*T! Thanks everyone for your responses. That thread on the Corsa problem lead me directly to my issue. Got under the car today and low and behold exhaust has moved and needed some adjusting. (first hint for me was seeing the pipes not centered in the cutouts looking at the rear bumper). Problem solved, for now.

:D yup yup.

Consider becoming a supporter. It's beyond worth it to me to pony up $60 bucks a year to make sure this resource stays around (same thing for the FAQ). I know I'v saved WAY more than that in just frustration.

Have a good weekend,

Chris