: Coolant change Air purging?

Domino1968
05-11-06, 02:53 PM
Yesterday I changed the coolant and added 2 tubes of Barsleak to radiator hose. I managed to get about 2.5 gallons out of the system. When I tried to fill the system, I could only get 1.75 gallons back in the system (reservoir tank would not let me put any more in). I have run the car with the heater on until the water pump hose got warm, shut the car off and let cool, opened the reservoir cap and the level is still a little high (I could only add maybe .5 quart). Now I get the "check coolant level" warning but I cannot add any more coolant. Should I let the car warm up with the cap off the resevoir and then fill? I want to ask this first because I don't wanna screw anything up.

JimD
05-11-06, 04:57 PM
The rubber line at the top front of your resevoir is the vent line from the engine coolant crossover. You should be able to blow through that line from the reservoir end. If you can't get air to flow through the line backwards, I suggest you take the rubber hose off the other end and remove the hollow bolt in the crossover and see what is blocking the flow.

To purge air, just bump the throttle up to 1,500 RPM a few times to get the coolant flowing and the air will be pushed into the reservoir. Idle won't get it done.

If you have a coolant level message when the reservoir is at the proper level, the switch in the bottom of the reservoir is acting up, OR, the connector is not attached properly.

Domino1968
05-11-06, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I pushed up on the connector a little bit and now the message display does not come on anymore. I have also revved the engine up a couple of times as well, also took her for a drive and warmed her up pretty good with a few good WOTs. The car's temperature stayed right in the middle the whole time. I let her cool off and checked the level and it is still steady. So I am guessing the system is thoroughly purged.

JimD
05-11-06, 07:20 PM
Well done. Just be sure to check the coolant level COLD several times over the next day or two.