: downshifted into wrong gear

Kidhummer
05-11-06, 01:23 PM
i was driving in 5th and I downshifted to 3rd and it redlined and my car wouldnt move for a second...It was an accident and I just want to know if I damaged my car in any way?

I know there is a fuel cut off in the V and that is what happened. Everything seems fine...

SoCadillac
05-11-06, 01:29 PM
It's all over and you need to sell your V to me at a liquidation price.

I believe you hit the rev limiter and it shut matters down temporarily.

Kidhummer
05-11-06, 01:32 PM
lol...i just wanted to make sure

thefly
05-11-06, 01:36 PM
would depend on the speed you were moving at. i wouldn't do it again. a good way to overrev and bend some pushrods...

The Tony Show
05-11-06, 01:36 PM
It is possible to mechanically over-rev the car by downshifting too far (A rev limiter can't stop this), but I doubt you hurt anything. You'd have to do something ludicrous like shift into 2nd at 120mph to break something, and if you had damaged something you'd probably know.

Texan V
05-11-06, 02:27 PM
I once dropped down from 5th to 1st by mistake when I was meaning to grab 3rd. Was doing about 55mph at the time and when I let the clutch out it felt as if I had stood on the brakes. The tires even chirped as the rear locked up momentarily. Within a split second I pressed in the clutch and shifted out of 1st. I don't think I hurt anything, cause that was several thousand miles ago and I haven't had any troubles since.

NH Vrod
05-11-06, 02:34 PM
this will not do anything other than lock up your back tires and depending how fast and how long they lock up you will put flat spots on your back tires, and ya, that sucks!

Jon
05-11-06, 02:36 PM
....how do you accidentally go from 5th to 3rd? I'm confused....

I've gone 5th to 2nd before on a highway ramp the first day I bought the car... Now THAT was scary...

Kidhummer
05-11-06, 03:10 PM
well i wanted the lowest possible gear without overrevving so i could have accelerated faster..I guess i was going to fast for 3rd and should have shifted into 4th..it was a stupid mistake....

cguthrie
05-11-06, 03:55 PM
How fast are you normally going at redline in 3rd?

Just curious,

CG

ctsvett
05-11-06, 05:01 PM
one of the initial crash pictures of a V was when a porter crashed a V by downshifting into 2 rather than 4 and spun the car into the median...

It CAN hurt your car and you....

Reed

Lindsay Cadillac
05-11-06, 08:48 PM
FYI - The rev limiter wouldn't do anything in this scenario...

V Amazed
05-12-06, 01:49 AM
FYI - The rev limiter wouldn't do anything in this scenario...

Bingo...rev limiter won't save your ass on a downshift like that. Ive seen people blow shit up like that. VERY easy to bend pushrods by doing this kind of thing. But one time shouldn't kill the car.

Ben

NH Vrod
05-12-06, 06:22 AM
I can't beleive that you would blow the engine before locking up the back tires!?

ctsvett, I agree if you lock up the back tires at higher speeds you better be ready to do some fancy driving, but to blow the engine??

Devil_concours
05-12-06, 06:37 AM
depending on speed, you could be instantly revving at well over 10k rpm. ouch

NH Vrod
05-12-06, 07:48 AM
Not possible, your back tires will lock up well before you over rev your engine, unless you have no compression, than I guess that would be possible.

CTSV05
05-12-06, 01:08 PM

trekster
05-12-06, 09:30 PM
I downshifted once; I think it was from 3 going to 4 but I hit 2nd at around 75mph I downshifted the back tires locked up for a second Which basically with pushed my chest right against the steering wheel and I instantly took the car out of gear. Boy, did that suck. I wonder if the stealth v tuned prevented my car from over reving.