: Wheel Scuff Prevention / Tire Size

SuperVeee
05-11-06, 09:48 AM
I scuffed 1 and the dealer scuffed 1. Score, Scuffs 2, My Vee 0. I scuffed the one wheel at the bank teller window at 1mph as I pulled away. I cussed all the way home.

What I need to know before I buy tires is can I put a slightly wider tire on the car to get a slight sidewall bulge and basic curb protection? For instance will a 255 / 45/ 18 fit the front wheel well and give me at least ľĒ rim protection? Iím not a wheel abuser having made 1 mistake in 12k miles but I canít afford to buy wheels or have them fixed every year. Also I see some people use wider tires on the back but I only want to use 1 size all the way around so I can rotate later. Any ideas?

Kadonny
05-11-06, 10:26 AM
Yes you can add wider tires to help protect the wheels. I forget what sizes all have used here, but for sure it can and has been done.

That being said, I have 2000 miles on my car and have a scratch (not curb rash) on one of my wheels already. I have absolutely no idea how it got there. As you, I am extremely careful and aware of the wheels.

atdeneve
05-12-06, 04:23 AM
Yea, I also see small scratches when washing the wheels and think to myself, wtf?! I even saw that my brake caliper had a good sized scuff on it. How it got there, I can't even imagine. Though, I noticed it only after having new tires mounted and they certainly were not there beforehand (the scrathes on the brake caliper, that is).
I think our wheels just get scratched up from rocks, pebbles, and other road debris; in other words, every day usage. Guess we just have to suck it up and eat the cost of reconditioning our wheels every so often. I think something was also mentioned about pitting of the wheels from brake dust buildup. So, perhaps, we have to suck it up, once again, and go through the labor of daily cleaning our wheels. Or better yet, ditch the OEM pads and pick up a set of Hawk pads. Still have to find the time to get those on, too. Woopdeedoo.

SuperVeee
05-12-06, 07:09 AM
Anyone? Tire sizes for the stock wheel that will not hit the front fender? 255 / 45 / 18 , 265 / 40 / 18 or some other size???

kgoch
05-12-06, 07:09 AM
Most high performance tires have a wheel protecter ridge next to the rim, but it will not protect against a hard scrape.

cash
05-12-06, 07:18 AM
255/45/18 will fit. I have that on the front our CTS-V with 8.5 wide Fikse wheel. The fit is VERY tight on the inside of the fender towards the bumper but so far no rubbing.

SuperVeee
05-12-06, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure of the off set difference in your Fiske wheel vs the stock wheel.

From reading various threads it seems that a 255 / 45/ 18 tire is about as wide as you can go on the front with the stock wheel. I would just like to see if anyone has other info or that's the max width.

cash
05-12-06, 04:24 PM
My Fikse has a 38mm offset, I believe stock is 42. The 4 mm makes up for the 1/8" lip on the rims as where the stock rims are flat.

But as others has said you should have no problems with the 255.