: Ignition System Problems

randoldj
05-10-06, 10:08 AM
On my 1996 Cadillac Deville, recently my "service ignition system" warning came on after the car seemed to stall for a moment. I checked the codes and it says "PC1350Current" and "PC1375Current" and in the history it lists "PC0300,PC1520.PC1599, and IP1910" Is there anyway, given this information, to tell what part of the ignition system may need to be replaced or repaired? Thanks!

chevelle
05-10-06, 01:38 PM
1350 means that there is a problem with communication between the PCM and the ignition module over the EST line. The EST line is the wire the PCM signals the coils when to fire for correct spark timing.

1375 means that there is no crank sensor signals from A or B crank sensors to the ignition module.

The common denominator here is the ignition module mounted under the ignition coil pack in the base of the coil pack. I would suspect that there is a problem with one of the wiring connectors to the coil pack or that the ignition electronic module is failed.

0300 is a misfire diagnostic code that one would expect given the above problem.

1520 indicates a problem with the prndl switch. That is on the transmission where the shift cable attaches to the shift lever of the trans. Look just under the brake master cylinder. Possibly due to a slightly misadjusted switch or the shift lever put partly into a gear at some point. Since it is history it means the problem is not currently detected so I would not be too concerned yet.

1910 indicates a problem with the generator L-terminal circuit. The L terminal is what the body computer uses to control the generator output. Basically it means that there is an electrical problem. Could be a connector at the generator, a failing generator, loose/corroded battery terminals, etc. Many possibilities. I'd fix the ignition issue and monitor this code to see if it reappears.

randoldj
05-10-06, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reply!