: Scary Moment Last Evening

NIK
05-10-06, 10:05 AM
So I'm driving home late yesterday afternoon and I spot a ricer (Honda) in my rear view mirror getting ready to do a "slingshot" run past me before we get to an upcoming right hand sweeper. "Freak you" I say to myself and mash the pedal to the floor without downshifting from 4th, figuring I wouldn't have to, and, sure enough, I didn't - I pulled away rather easily even though he had a lot of momentum built up.

Now, I don't normally "mash" the pedal though I do like to drive with a bit of spirit. As I stated earlier, I mashed it hard while in 4th gear, and when I let up approaching the curve, THE THROTTLE STUCK! Holy crap! A wide open stuck throttle on a V approaching a curve! I whacked the pedal a couple of times with my foot and tapped the brakes and the throttle released (thank God) and I went through the curve rather "briskly" to say the least, but the V did me proud getting through it.

After arriving home and checking the pedal first, it was easy to see what happened - I have clear floormats covering my custom mats for protection since I was in a rather dirty place that day. When I mashed the pedal, it caught under the clear mat, thus not releasing fully. I now make sure the mat is cut out to fully clear the throttle pedal so as not to have this event repeated. Just a heads up to all of you - I'm just glad I didn't have this happen in traffic as I fortunately had some time to react.:tisk:

anim8orCTSV
05-10-06, 11:21 AM
All I can say is Holy Crap. Imagine if you didn't get the pedal free? Thank God you did.

-Anim8orCTSV

trukk
05-10-06, 11:36 AM
All I can say is Holy Crap. Imagine if you didn't get the pedal free? Thank God you did.

-Anim8orCTSV

In that situation, I'd like to think I'd utilize: CLUTCH + Rev Limiter, but you never know in the heat of the moment.

All's well that ends well I guess. I think I'll live with dirty floor mats :D [Matches the exterior of my car anyway ;) ].

-Chris

V-Smooth
05-10-06, 02:23 PM
That's funny NIK (well not really but more of coinsidence) this happened to me in my SS. Mashed the throttle, thought the throttle body was to blame. 70...80...90mph fast approaching oncoming traffic and traffic ahead of me :eek: Looked over at my buddy and his face was white as a ghost, as I yelled "the throttle's stuck" I just shut the ignition off, braked, then hit the gas pedal a few times vigorusly...started it back up and it was fine :hmm: soon after it dawned on me that it was the floormat bunched up under the gas pedal.

We need little anchors for our floor mats to solve this issue!

CVP33
05-10-06, 04:44 PM
This is a repost but I think it's relevant. Let this be a lesson to all you street racers.

I was traveling down the highway at approximately 60 mph around rush hour when a new Ford Mustang GT pulls along side me. He down shifts and begins rev hopping his car beside mine. I do the same to show him I'm no pushover and I'm ready to race. Being rush hour we have no where to go so we both gun it and make for the emergency lanes and the street race is on!

He races down the left and me down the right emergency lane. As we approach a clearing we both make for the opening and I'm ahead by roughly a car length. He oversteers the lane and ends up clipping my left rear bumper at roughly 120mph. As I spin out of control, my daughter nearly falls out of her car seat and the worst part I spill half my beer and damn near ruined my leather seats.

I must say I really learned my lesson that day. Now when I street race I always make sure that my daughter is firmly locked in her car seat and I only drink straight vodka so no worries regarding staining the leather. :highfive:

The preceding message was brought to you by the Alabama Street racing Society (A$$) and the West Virginia Animal Husbandry League, cross breeding and stressing the human genome since 1805, home of the 7 fingered piano player.

slow35th
05-10-06, 05:39 PM
I must say I really learned my lesson that day. Now when I street race I always make sure that my daughter is firmly locked in her car seat and I only drink straight vodka so no worries regarding staining the leather. :highfive:

The preceding message was brought to you by the Alabama Street racing Society (A$$) and the West Virginia Animal Husbandry League, cross breeding and stressing the human genome since 1805, home of the 7 fingered piano player.

Good thing you don't smoke. I'm usually on the cell phone when that sh1t happens :alchi:

CVP33
05-10-06, 06:00 PM
Good thing you don't smoke. I'm usually on the cell phone when that sh1t happens :alchi:

I don't smoke.............cigarettes. Florian? Florian? Wake up dude, I got some bud'.

rand49er
05-10-06, 09:52 PM
I don't smoke.............cigarettes. Florian? Florian? Wake up dude, I got some bud'.:histeric:

It's so nice to have CVP33 around for levity. :grouphug:

Kadonny
05-11-06, 10:40 AM
This is a repost but I think it's relevant. Let this be a lesson to all you street racers.

I was traveling down the highway at approximately 60 mph around rush hour when a new Ford Mustang GT pulls along side me. He down shifts and begins rev hopping his car beside mine. I do the same to show him I'm no pushover and I'm ready to race. Being rush hour we have no where to go so we both gun it and make for the emergency lanes and the street race is on!

He races down the left and me down the right emergency lane. As we approach a clearing we both make for the opening and I'm ahead by roughly a car length. He oversteers the lane and ends up clipping my left rear bumper at roughly 120mph. As I spin out of control, my daughter nearly falls out of her car seat and the worst part I spill half my beer and damn near ruined my leather seats.

CPV, I like you and all and correct me if I am wrong and I mistook your post and you are actually joking, but why did you feel the need to post that? Are you saying you have never had a go of it on the open roads with either your V or your SRT?

Do we all know about street racing? Yes. Do you think we are all so dumb as to not know it can be dangerous? I hope not. I hope I don't offend here, but I get tired of people preaching to me on the internet, and that's what you seem to be doing.

As much as I agree real all out high speed street racing is a bad thing, get real. We all own these powerful cars and we all will use them on the streets, like it or not. All we can do is make sure we are as safe as possible if/when the moment ever arises.

[/soapbox]

NIK
05-11-06, 12:30 PM
Thanks, Kadonny - actually, I don't really street race and didn't figure this was going to be much of one (which it wasn't). The area I'm referring to I travel every day, and it's notorious for drivers to do exactly what this guy tried to do ........ they'll wait for the moment to slingshot past you, only to cut in front of you before the curve or, worse yet when going in the opposite direction, cutting in front of you and then stopping for the stopsign! If my pedal had not caught on my floor mat it would have been a non-event. Sometimes male ego + fast car can equal trouble. We just have to pick our fights and hope we guess right. If I honestly thought there was a chance of endangering ANYBODY I wouldn't have started the incident.

The whole object of my post was to alert guys to how a little thing like a floor mat can cause trouble ....... (sigh)......

mostoyzwinz
05-11-06, 02:38 PM
I found CVP's re-post (you knew it) quite entertaining. Now if I can just find that smiley of a preacher...this will have to do :tisk: :thehand:

MadMike
05-11-06, 03:23 PM
familiar feeling.........had the throttle on my chevelle with tunnelram and dual quads and the linkage over-centered.........took weeks to unpucker....