: Backing a V

DILLIGAF
05-08-06, 08:09 PM
Almost 2 years since I bought my V.And for some reason I can't put this car in my garage straight.I have backed every trailor known to man,i'm one of those guys who never needs to look over his right shoulder when backing.I can put my other vehicles on a dime but not this car,WTF.Anybody else have this problem,i'm about to put tape down on my garage floor.Makes me feel like a rookie.I always like to back in my garage so i've put this car in crooked a hundred times or so.:thepan:

Imperator
05-08-06, 08:32 PM
Tape might not be such a bad idea. I don't have a problem with parking at home but I can't ever seem to get it just right at the office. This is mostly due to the fact that my reserved space is sandwiched between a mini-truck (coworker) and someone's Suburban. And I must negotiate a 90-degree turn from a down-sloping garage entrance right into my spot.

Whenever I need to back into a space, I'll eyeball the entry from the rear, then crack open the driver's side door a bit. By looking down at the parking space line and concrete below the door, I can back the rest of the car in while keeping it straight.

Make some markers or some sort of indicator you can use for this purpose--it should help make this process smoother once you get used to it.

heavymetals
05-08-06, 08:43 PM
It's supposed to be easier with the passenger side mirror option (not a MOD :eek: ) that makes it swivel downward facing.

I had to hang a tennis ball so I can at least put it in the same place pointing forwards!

mostoyzwinz
05-08-06, 09:36 PM
haven't noticed the v any different than other rides in that respect but if you drive a car with the swiveling mirrors when put in reverse like heavy mentions, you'll see how much easier it gets. i'm depth perception challenged. seems i can't judge the distance backing up to things as close as i'd like.:rant2: ..the high rear deck lid screws me up or something.

ctsvett
05-08-06, 11:23 PM
uhhh guys... the mirror does swivel down in reverse.. .you need to enable this option in the setup menu... Just telling you since I was not sure base don your comments if you knew that...

I back in everytime and I find it very easy.... I have to turn when I back in, so I do straighten out after I line the a$$ end up, but I never really have a problem. Since my passenger side is against a wall, the swivel down is VERY helpful and helps me line it up...

Reed

heavymetals
05-09-06, 12:06 AM
I knew that, I just didn't explain it very well......

LV_V
05-09-06, 12:09 AM
I back in everytime, not a problem keepin it straight, the V that is...

atdeneve
05-09-06, 05:37 AM
I found it considerably harder to reverse in this car, as compared to a Suburban. Yeah, I know, sounds pretty counter-intuitive, but given the fact that the Suburban (or any SUV for that matter) is basically a box at the rear, you know exactly, without a doubt, how much space you have in the back. Doesn't seem right, but parallel parking that tank in the city - with less than a foot of space, to boot - was a cinch. Becomes second nature and, before you know it, you find that you just swoop it in in one fast motion. And then, of course, you feel bad as you realize onlookers / passengers getting that tightening stance as if an accident was about to happen. And then, as you step out, you see a small-ass Civic making numerous attempts to park in a space that could fit a bus. Funny as shit, actually. So really, it's not only about the size of the vehicle, but the outward visibility and our perception of the exterior dimensions.

The V, on the other hand, has huge blind spots in the rear and it seems harder for me to rotate in the seat as well (though it should be in a performance vehicle that supposed to hold you snug and tight). Of course, I also had to drive the V some before I got to know its exterior dimensions. Also, at night, the dark tint certainly doesn't help. With the tint, it's absolutely ridiculous trying to see anything beyond a few feet behind you, but, then again, if you're traveling in reverse at anything above a few miles per hour, yeaaah, I'm gonna say you should probably be shot in your right big toe.

dqw1
05-09-06, 08:18 AM
When I lived in an apartment I could never back in straight for whatever reason. (my son must have thought I was retard). Now that I bought my house with a 2 car garage, it doesn't matter. Only thing now is that I keep thinking I won't back far enough and then the garage will hit the front bumper. I've been meaning to put tape up on the side walls as a marker. One thing I do is use the garage door lanyard thats red and hangs down as the center point as I back in.
On a different note, I removed my rear seat head rest because they cause a huge blind spot.

Davidstan
05-09-06, 10:17 AM
Almost 2 years since I bought my V.And for some reason I can't put this car in my garage straight.I have backed every trailor known to man,i'm one of those guys who never needs to look over his right shoulder when backing.I can put my other vehicles on a dime but not this car,WTF.Anybody else have this problem,i'm about to put tape down on my garage floor.Makes me feel like a rookie.I always like to back in my garage so i've put this car in crooked a hundred times or so.:thepan:

I'm guilty too. I have a boat and a sea doo so i'm not a rookie at backing stuff in. Not something i have thought a lot about but since you mention it yes i find my car cockeyed in the garage when i back it.:rolleyes:

DILLIGAF
05-09-06, 12:24 PM
I use the passenger mirror pointing down feature and it doesn't matter.When it's all said and done that suckers crooked everytime=unless I pull forward to straighten it up.But thats cheating!!!!

SwampFox
05-09-06, 03:51 PM
I thought it was just me! I have the same issue with the V. My conclusion is the small mirrors on the car. I've backed into the same garage for 13 years with 3 different cars and never had a problem before. Same at my parking spot at work. I keep standing back and saying what the H.???