: New diff is clunking like no other after 1500 miles

alcast082
05-08-06, 12:42 AM
Well after a good experience at the dealer my car with the new 06 diff is clunking grinding and just not sounding like a 50+ car.

:rant2: I simply can't believe gm has not come up with fix,(it clunks during shifts during speed bumps during everything, i think it clunks more than before) I was happy and looking at a maggie cam nos after it came out of the dealer but now I am looking to see what is the best car to swithch to.
The m3 is changing soon,
the audi s4 isn't fast or aggressive enough
the cayman only has two seats but it looks promising
the 911 is everything but i would have to stretch myself for a couple of months for this car.
who know I love the V and want it faster if it didn't clunk and blablabla
Back to the dealer and lets see what happens.:thepan:

wildwhl
05-08-06, 04:45 AM
Make sure they check and double check the torque of all 3 mounting bolts, as well as the 4 cradle bolts and the two front trailing arm bolts. You might be surprised to find one is just not tight, and that is the clunk...hopefully.

WW

Closer_2001
05-08-06, 09:29 AM
,(it clunks during shifts during speed bumps during everything, i think it clunks more than before)

Make sure the driveshaft is not tweaked on the end.

The Driveshaft is filled with grease where it mates the propshaft (which bolts to diff). The cap can get bent (if the diff fails) and the grease will fly out as the shaft spins. Not only does it make a mess, but the car sounds like the diff is going to fall out at any moment.

Have them replace the driveshaft if this is the issue.

NH Vrod
05-08-06, 09:37 AM
I had the same problem after having a seal changed on my rear end, it turned out to be a loose bolt. The one on the passengers side if the car, just above the exhaust pipe as it goes by the rear end.

SM

alcast082
05-08-06, 12:08 PM
thanks guys, i'm going to try to take it in today and have all that checkerd