: car won't start!

onecad
01-24-04, 01:02 PM
ok...its been cold up here in canada....and I've had no troubles starting my car until today. And today isn't even the coldest day, and my car has started before on colder days.
The system powers up, the only thing thats not happening is it isn't cranking over.

I've tried charging the battery (boosting) the car, so it isn't that, and I've had the block heater plugged in now for about an hour.

Any ideas???.....what fuses should I check, or relays????
thanks Joe

lido
01-24-04, 07:31 PM
I have the same problem with my 94 sts,one morning it wont start,no click it seems to be a dead battery but it reads 13.5 volts so I check the battery teminal and they are good no corrosion what so ever,its new i just change both of the positive cables even the one that goes to the starter I did this work last summer so I dont think its related to this problem.I even barrowed my motor home baterry and still no click.After I put it back together the next day it just started right out,this incident happened about 1 month ago and havent done it since.I too was wondering is there a relay that is going bad or the ignition switch have a bad contack?I just need to see if any body have the same problem or is this a common problem?

carnerd
01-24-04, 11:12 PM
Just a suggestion... sometimes the starter is real cold... ti wont make any noise at all just go under the car and tap the starter motor with a hammer to break it loose a little hopefully that works for you.. It work on ym friends!

DaveSmed
01-25-04, 12:59 AM
But its a N*. The starter is under the intake.

carnerd
01-25-04, 01:12 AM
ohh yeah frogot about that.. if thats broken just empty your wallet onto the table and go back to work

DaveSmed
01-25-04, 01:18 AM
It's acutually not that bad. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58528&postcount=6

onecad
01-25-04, 10:59 AM
ok.....i have a little more info regarding this matter.

The day before this happened, I had started the car for my wife to warm it up. So the car had about 30 minutes plus to warm. My wife then went to a local take out place to grab some dinner and was only in the restaurant for 5 minutes. She came back out to start the car, and she said for a bout 10 seconds straight on the first try the car would hardly turn over. The second attempt to start the car it fired right up.

It was then the following day that I couldn't get it going. Why do women always tell you these things at there own convenience....lol. "oh yeah, by the way one year ago yesterday, the car was acting funny when I tried to start it."......arrrrgggghh!!

I noticed a few times when it was cold, it would take about2 to 3 seconds for the starter to start cranking upon turning the key. But just attributed this to the cold, obviously. But it seems to be more than that.

Does this new info raise any more answers?

carnerd
01-25-04, 04:32 PM
well in some cases when the starter is hot the peices insie it expand to where it is to difficut to turn over so you have to wait for it to cool... but this berley ever happens ( happend to my peice of crap honda 300 foreman)

onecad
01-25-04, 04:53 PM
well...its not my battery, I just waisted 100 plus bucks on a new one and the car still will not turn over.
Hopefully someone will come up with some suggestions. By the way, I went over all the fuses under the hood and in the trunk, everything seems to be in order, no blown fuses.

thanks

onecad
01-25-04, 07:43 PM
well...im considering trying a rebuilt or good used starter. Are the starters the same in all the northstars, cause i found a couple that were on the seville and deville cars????

Are they the same as long as its from the 4.6???

thanks

onecad
01-26-04, 01:13 AM
Can anyone tell me where the starter enable relay(s) are???
i checked the owners guide and it shows a set of relays near the engine compartment fuse block but noneof those are starter enable relays.

thanks

zonie77
01-26-04, 08:53 AM
There were just some threads on the relay. Look at this one:http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7002

onecad
01-26-04, 10:14 AM
i've located the relay incase incase i need to change it i now know where it is.(if anyone knows how to test these to see if they are bad that would be great.)

As I mentioned above, I may end up changing the starter.
With the starter being inside the motor under the manifold cover would you be able to hear a clicking noise coming from the solenoid???
Because there is definetly a clicking noise at the end of the motor roughly where the starter is, when i try to turn it over. Or could this be something else????
thanks for all the help.

carnerd
01-26-04, 12:28 PM
you should of mentioned the clicking noise before... you need a new selniod

onecad
01-26-04, 12:44 PM
Honestly, I just realized it was doing it late last night. Plus....before when I was trying to listen for it, I didn't hear the clicking, which may be because it was so cold. Last night I put the car into the garage when I got some help with the pushing, and I turned the furnace on to warm up everything which I think is why the noise became noticeable, or maybe just because it was inside, and there was no outside noise.

Sometimes its hard diagnosing on your own.

thanks for all the help though. I will report my findings when the starter/solenoid is installed.

carnerd
01-26-04, 12:50 PM
Yeah it is hard to hear under it all... instead of being like any other motor and being on the outside.