: V Observations!

fig32
05-07-06, 06:03 PM
I have now had my V for almost 2 weeks. It is a blast to drive and handles great. Overall, I am very pleased with the car. The only problem I seem to have is heel & toe downshifting is proving to be difficult in this car. I got rid of an 04 Acura TL with 6-speed that was a joy to work the pedals and I have an 04 Vette that is also great to work. I really thought the V would be easy to heel and toe but it is not. The brake pedal seems to be a bit high and I really have to work to roll my foot and blip the throttle. Does anyone else have this problem? I am a size 11 and have a reasonably wide foot. Is there any way to improve this?

The car rides so well on the stock suspension with just a bit of lean in turns. Thinking about upgrading to the Hotchis sway bars to tighten things up a bit. Does anyone near central NJ have the swaybars installed so I can get a feel for the improvement in handling? I also plan on the UUC shifter and that should complete the 1st round of mods:bouncy:

Mark

1MEANV
05-07-06, 06:10 PM
i have a size 13 and i have no problems

Dennisscars
05-07-06, 06:19 PM
Not sure which method you are used to using, but the best/only way I've had any success is to slide my heal far to the right and just barely have the ball of my foot on the brake and roll over with a rocking motion to the gas. (About a big toe width on the brake, little toes on the gas) Under light brake application it doesn't work very well because of the high brake pedal. It does work better if your standing on the brakes with your hair on fire.

It may be more problematic with the shoes that are normally on top of the cash register...:thepan:

I use wider shoe (my old skateboard Duff's) than a narrow race shoe.

Welcome to mod fever...

fig32
05-07-06, 08:09 PM
Guys,
I normally have the ball of my foot on the brake with my heel on the floor and simply roll my foot over onto the gas. It has always worked well for me and I have not had any difficulty until this car. The main issue is the high brake pedal. I would agree that heel and toe shifting is easier when you are going faster and harder on the brake, but I like to do it all the time and this has been the most comfortable way to blip. I will adjust my technique a bit for this car and see how it goes.

Now about those sway bars? Anyone in NJ have them installed? Does anyone in NJ have any mods that I can check out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mark

Dennisscars
05-07-06, 08:30 PM
Try kicking your heal as far over to the right as possible. Other cars I've had I didn't have to cant it over as much.

ctsvett
05-07-06, 09:58 PM
dennis is 100 % correct...

use some wider shoes (skate shoes are comfortable and good) and you will not have a problem... Basically the edge of your foot on the brake and roll to blip the gas. Works for me.. Takes some practice. You may want to try barefoot first to get a feel for it.

Reed

LV_V
05-08-06, 02:37 AM
Get some aftermarket aluminum race pedals. MUCH easier to heel toe now.

calicadi
05-09-06, 10:07 PM
I have the Ultimate pedal set w/H&T extension (frosted, no-slip without grip inserts). They're an authorized vendor for us.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_165&products_id=2898

Not perfect because the depth difference between gas and brake, but a vast improvement over stock. The technique I have to use is to center the ball of the foot on the right edge of the brake pedal at an oblique angle. Applying downward pressure and pivoting on the ball while pronating the ankle, the outer edge of my heel contacts the lower third of the gas pedal extension. It doesn't feel as secure as being able to plant your foot squarely on the brake, but the Brembos are so strong I found this actually helps me from over-braking. Still not as smooth as I'd like but I hope that comes with experience.

fig32
05-10-06, 08:26 AM
I have the Ultimate pedal set w/H&T extension (frosted, no-slip without grip inserts). They're an authorized vendor for us.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_165&products_id=2898

Not perfect because the depth difference between gas and brake, but a vast improvement over stock. The technique I have to use is to center the ball of the foot on the right edge of the brake pedal at an oblique angle. Applying downward pressure and pivoting on the ball while pronating the ankle, the outer edge of my heel contacts the lower third of the gas pedal extension. It doesn't feel as secure as being able to plant your foot squarely on the brake, but the Brembos are so strong I found this actually helps me from over-braking. Still not as smooth as I'd like but I hope that comes with experience.

Thanks! That sound great and I was looking to pick up a set of those pedals. Now all I need is another group buy!!!

Seattle CTS-V
05-10-06, 03:59 PM
I also have the Ultimate race pedal set and it definitely helps. However, as also stated above, heel-toeing on this car with light braking is difficult. It's just too high. Go to the track where you need to depress the brake more and it becomes much easier!